Windows is freaking out... apparently...

Clegko

DONOR
Car(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado, 1968 Mercury Monterey
So, here's the story. About a month ago, I reformatted my Laptop with a nice, clean install of Windows XP Pro. Totally legit, too. Well, ever sense then, if I let the computer idle for more than about 3 hours (like if i'm at work), the CPU usage spikes to around 95% and just stays there. It doesn't matter what processes I kill off, and the only way to fix it is to shut down and let it set for a few hours before I turn it back on again. I am completely baffled, as is my teacher at uni. Neither of us have seen anything like this before...

If it helps, specs are below:
Intel Core2Duo Meron @ 2GHz
2GB Ram
Intel GMA950 Integrated GFx Card
200GB Drive

Also, i've tried reformatting and repairing Windows, and nothing seems to help.

If I had to take an educated guess I'd say your CPU is getting too hot.
But, I haven't quite come across this before ... especially if you've already reformatted it would have to point out some sort of hardware malfunction...

If I had to take an educated guess I'd say your CPU is getting too hot.
But, I haven't quite come across this before ... especially if you've already reformatted it would have to point out some sort of hardware malfunction...

Forgot to mention, i've cleaned the thing inside and out, very well.

Also, if the CPU was getting too hot, causing the spike, wouldn't that cause it to throttle itself, not turn itself up to it's full potential?

sounds like a potential virus in your system

I suggest that you reformat your computer.

Update: I got it fixed! Turns out it was Windows constantly checking the status of the battery, and then freaking out over it. Just removed the battery when i'm using it at my desk, and all is well...

Thanks for the help. :)

Update: I got it fixed! Turns out it was Windows constantly checking the status of the battery, and then freaking out over it. Just removed the battery when i'm using it at my desk, and all is well...

Sounds like you need to find and install the correct power management drivers for your laptop. You can usually find them at the manufacturer's website.

That's hardly fixing it, don't you think?

What brand is your laptop anyways? Do you use any of the manufacturer's software?
Two months ago I had huge problems with a Toshiba laptop and the Toshiba software - it used a lot of memory and messed with the registry (if I closed the software, the internet connection died) Clean Windows installation and NO laptop software was the solution - you don't need any of it!

Well, it's a Macbook, but i've grown tired of OS X for a bit (as I always do...), and I was wanting to play around on Windows. Only thing i've gotten as far as Mfg's programs are the drivers to make all the hardware (bluetooth, wifi, etc) working, and those are all updated. *shrugs*

@_HighVoltage_: I do think it's fixing it, as it's not my main PC, and I don't use it at a desk very often. *shrugs* To each their own, I guess?

^ eh? It's been over a year since that's happened, I'm pretty sure they've got it sorted out.

If not please enlighten me.