Windows Mobile Thread

Homescreen update:
Screen03.png

Artemis V23B
CHT 1.8.5
Firestorm iconset
DJC taskbar

Runs butter smooth and the new lockscreen from the OBOE Sense rom (HD-Mini) looks great.
Lockscreen tends to be a bit buggy for some situations though and unlocks too easily.

So I've flashed over to radio 2.12 for a week or so now, and I'm not sure if its just my imagination but battery life seems to have improved massively compared to 2.08.

First HTC WP7 device supposedly - the 'Schubert':

10x0809oub235htc.jpg

10x08099ub2345unib.jpg

I'm waiting anxiously for the next HTC unibody phone and WP7 looks darn pretty, so I might give it a shot.

Unfortunately for MS it's too little too late for me, I'm almost fully converted to the OS from the not-evil-at-all people at Google. I also don't like HTCs new designs.

Great news! Sony Xperia X2 users: The MR2 upgrade gives something really usable once your phone's updated, but that's after uninstalling most of the stupid panels that come with it too.

P.S : The phone is still shit. I am going to change my phone once my contract is up.

First HTC WP7 device supposedly - the 'Schubert':

*images of pretty phone*

I'm waiting anxiously for the next HTC unibody phone and WP7 looks darn pretty, so I might give it a shot.

*video*

The phone itself looks great, but I'm ambivalent toward 7. MS made so many compromises (no cut/copy/paste, no third party multitasking (not even a task switcher) and locked so much down that I've decided to move to Android...this is somewhat grudgingly too as I really like Windows Mobile.

Yeah Microsoft seems to be taking sort of the middleroad between Apple and Googel, though they're leaning more towards the Apple side :p

But there are some really important features that are missing, which is rather odd. We've finally gotten Apple to put in this stuff, and now we have to start all over and get Microsoft to do it :p Just a thing like copy/paste, it sounds like such a small feature, but it is just endlessly annoying when it's missing.

Just wanted to bid a farewell to Windows Mobile. It's been a venerable platform and I have been one of its staunchest supporters.

My HD2 broke a few months ago and I didn't really miss it too badly, that is until the borrowed iPhone I was using started to outright make me depressed. Once I read that Android had been ported to the HD2 I really started to kick myself because overnight I could have had myself a high end Android device.

I looked around a bit, came close to blowing another huge wad of cash on an unlocked Android phone, and then I came to my senses and picked up a used HD2 - mainly to run Android on it. I love the 4.3" screen and neither the Droid X or the EVO are available in Canada... plus the HD2 seems to be much more svelte and better built than those two. I also wasn't sure if I would like Android, if I could even use it properly since I don't have a data plan... so I bought an HD2 thinking I could dual-boot and go from there.

Long story short I have all but abandoned my beloved Windows Mobile... even though we're still limited to running Android off the SD slot, builds are nearly perfect for the HD2 now. I'm running a buttery smooth build of Froyo off the Nexus One, and battery life and everything else is more than acceptable. Android hasn't blown me out of the water but it just works well and is blazing fast.

So that's that, just wanted to leave some parting words for Windows Mobile. One reason I bought a second HD2 is so I could hold onto one of the last and definitely the best Windows Mobile devices ever. I still remember when black and white Palms were the latest and greatest and then PocketPC came along and pushed us from glorified digital organizers to truly multimedia pocket computers.

Last edited:
Just wanted to bid a farewell to Windows Mobile. It's been a venerable platform and I have been one of its staunchest supporters.

My HD2 broke a few months ago and I didn't really miss it too badly, that is until the borrowed iPhone I was using started to outright make me depressed. Once I read that Android had been ported to the HD2 I really started to kick myself because overnight I could have had myself a high end Android device.

I looked around a bit, came close to blowing another huge wad of cash on an unlocked Android phone, and then I came to my senses and picked up a used HD2 - mainly to run Android on it. I love the 4.3" screen and neither the Droid X or the EVO are available in Canada... plus the HD2 seems to be much more svelte and better built than those two. I also wasn't sure if I would like Android, if I could even use it properly since I don't have a data plan... so I bought an HD2 thinking I could dual-boot and go from there.

Long story short I have all but abandoned my beloved Windows Mobile... even though we're still limited to running Android off the SD slot, builds are nearly perfect for the HD2 now. I'm running a buttery smooth build of Froyo off the Nexus One, and battery life and everything else is more than acceptable. Android hasn't blown me out of the water but it just works well and is blazing fast.

So that's that, just wanted to leave some parting words for Windows Mobile. One reason I bought a second HD2 is so I could hold onto one of the last and definitely the best Windows Mobile devices ever. I still remember when black and white Palms were the latest and greatest and then PocketPC came along and pushed us from glorified digital organizers to truly multimedia pocket computers.

Very nice sendoff and a nice look overall at how you feel about Android coming from Windows Mobile. I agree that the HD2 is a watermark device for Win Mo and a great way to symbolically "close" the platform so to speak. I plan to migrate myself in the near future either by getting a totally new device or using a VZW TP2 off of eBay.
:cheers:

Interesting that you did that Shawn, I have that as a backup plan in case Orange want to charge be a small fortune for a Samsung when I upgrade. I can't say I'll miss WinMo but it's been a good OS to me aside from a few shit fits the phone and its apps have pulled on me (most recently Media Player occasionally refusing to connect to a radio stream until the device is rebooted, which is a pain in the arse).

Apparently my Touch HD is worth ?100, dunno how much a used HD2 is.

What annoys me about winmo is the S..L...O...W.... startup. It takes almost 10 minutes before the phone is fully useable.

My hd2 takes less than a minute to load up. Check your phone because something is clearly broken.

Might be S2U2, CHT or 3DTurbo, but even after resetting it was always slow to start up after I finish installing everything.

I personally think its the 3D driver since my phone was faster before I installed it.

There must be something wrong with your setup, I have the 3D drivers and a lot of other stuff too and this is what I get:

Windows boots in 42 seconds
Sense loads in 1:01 minutes
Radios are connected in 1:20 minutes

And for fun, this is Android from when I tap Haret:
Android boots to lockscreen in 1:03 minutes
Radios are connected in 1:18 minutes​

Last edited:
I can't figure out whats wrong, thats the problem...

Ever since I returned from a trip to England some 1,5 weeks ago (it was on the weekend when there was the time change from summer to winter time), the clock on my HD2 went completely mad. It jumps one or two hours ahead in the middle of the night, almost every night, which means that the alarm clock either wakes me up one or two hours too early, or not at all - that is when it changes the time less than an hour before 7:30 (which is my alarm time) thus denying that it ever was 7:30 on that day. It drives me fucking crazy. I even had to dig up an old fashioned alarm clock to get some proper sleep and not come late to work. Manually changing the time only helps temporarily. The time even often fixes itself later on. I tried disabling the internet time updates but it didn't make any difference. I can't find the option to turn off the network time updates, which I guess is the most likely culprit. Anyone know where it is? Or any other fix?