Windows Mobile Thread

I'm trying to decide which rom to flash atm...

Sort of bored with the stock 1.66 ROM even though it works very nicely as is.

new roms are out with the t-mobile 2.13 update, you should try them out.

Any fav apps you want to recommend?

• Opera Mobile 10: Looks a thousand times better than version 9, is a great deal faster too.
  • Nitrogen: Alternative music app to the HTC one. I like this a lot since I can shake to skip tracks, handy in the car.
  • cleanRAM: Pretty self-explanatory, I run it all the time and free up anywhere from 7 to 20 megs of RAM.
  • DynaInk: Cool drawing/notes program, definitely check it out.
  • LMT Launcher: One of my favourites, does a lot of things but it's mainly multitouch gestures. Killer app for the HD2.
  • mobiletag: Best tag reader for WM. It reads all formats including 1D barcodes which is rare. All the other barcode readers look really ghetto or cost money.
  • RaceChrono: It uses the GPS chip to do 0-60 times, 1/4 miles and other racing stuff. I think this might be right up your alley. ;)
  • TaskFacade: Graphic task switcher with thumbnails, set it to a gesture using LMT for easy task switching.
  • Wi-Fi Remote Access: Allows you to browse the content of your device through your browser on your computer, you can also send texts and stuff.

Those are my favourites, but I have plenty of other apps. Most of those are free, other than DynaInk I believe.

For GPS I use iGO8. I have tried TomTom but I like iGO better, for North America anyway. There is a hack on XDA to enable true multitouch for zooming on the map, make sure to look for the real hack and not the one that just enables the crappy Windows Mobile zoomer for iGO.

In terms of UI enhancements, GTX Theme for Sense really seems to have made a lot of fans recently. I really like the look but I don't use it since I tend to stick to stock ROMs:

thanks, I will definitely give them a try.

I just looked at some Sense ROMs for the Touch HD but I can't really be bothered to go through all of that again to get a UI that runs slower than TouchFlo. That theme does look really nice though. I have to agree that Opera 10 is miles better than 9 though, it transformed the browsing experience for me.

I have to agree that Opera 10 is miles better than 9 though, it transformed the browsing experience for me.

Yeah, mine too. I use the web on my HD2 a lot more now with version 10.

Even with Opera Turbo (server side rendering) turned off it's still faster than Opera 9, PocketIE, Skyfire, basically any other browser I've tried. Also cool is that it supports Flash... nowhere near good enough to stream media, but at least you can view Flash elements on websites that have them.

In terms of UI enhancements, GTX Theme for Sense really seems to have made a lot of fans recently. I really like the look but I don't use it since I tend to stick to stock ROMs:

Just a warning for anyone thinking of using GTX - I tried installing this on my HD2, which was running a stock WWE 1.66 SE Asia rom. I think my version of manila was probably too old, and so after installing it screwed up the home tab. Couldn't uninstall correctly either, and so I ended up having to hard reset my phone.

Shawn, what rom are you running?

@Matt2000 - Isn't there a semi-functional port of Android for the old HD? You should give that a try.

And here's a new browser for WM with flash support

Last edited:
Just a warning for anyone thinking of using GTX - I tried installing this on my HD2, which was running a stock WWE 1.66 SE Asia rom. I think my version of manila was probably too old, and so after installing it screwed up the home tab. Couldn't uninstall correctly either, and so I ended up having to hard reset my phone.

Well obviously... the thread on XDA states it won't work on all Manila versions, and it tells you which versions it fully supports. It should work on the 1.66 stock ROM as I tried it myself... there were a few bugs due the older version of Manila but it mostly worked. But for something that goes so deep you're better off getting a ROM which has it cooked in anyway. It will be more stable and have the proper version of Manila.

I'm personally using 1.66 stock ROM with 2.07 radio. The cooked ROMs are fun to mess around with but ultimately I bought a WM phone to customize it myself, I don't want some other person's idea of what theme looks best and what apps should be added/removed from the stock list.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that HTC bring out an official 6.5.x ROM for the HD2... on the one hand, they have a poor track record with this type of stuff and the last ROM for the HD2 was in January. But on the other hand WP7 is still months off and the HD2 is still HTC's flagship WM device. So I'm hoping...

Lets hope for an update. The T-Mobile HD2s got an update, so hopefully us non-US HD2 users will get some love from HTC.

I did muck around with a no. of custom roms, but in the end I decided to just stick with the stock rom because it gets things done nicely enough.

I should probably flash over to a new radio though.

@Matt2000 - Isn't there a semi-functional port of Android for the old HD? You should give that a try.

From what I've just read on XDA Devs, the project has been dropped. While I was there I downloaded and installed the latest radio. I have yet to test it properly but it seems to load up google maps on a 3.5G connection much quicker. The real test will be listening to internet radio on the train tomorrow morning because the signal is so poor it always drops off a few times.

I remember the fanfare when the HD was launched.

Anyone tried the latest 2.13 drivers yet?

I remember the fanfare when the HD was launched.

I remember going around all the shops trying to get one. :lol:

In the end I had to order one directly from Orange because even their shops couldn't get them. Best phone I've ever had without a doubt, it still does everything I need it to.

Can anyone recommend a good voice recording programme?

What's wrong with the built-in app from HTC? It should be in the Tools folder.

Can't find it under the tools folder : (

I'm sure you can find it on XDA-developers.

found it, its stored under my documents\Notes\

The recording quality is pretty awful.... I can hear myself pretty well, but can only barely make out what the other side is saying.

That's recorded with HTC's default voice recording programme.

How's the web browsing on the HD2?? The last proper mobile browser I've used is mobile Safari, and I'm curious how is it? Do pages take forever or do they load in a respectable time??

How's the web browsing on the HD2?? The last proper mobile browser I've used is mobile Safari, and I'm curious how is it? Do pages take forever or do they load in a respectable time??

The HD2 uses Opera Mobile as it's default browser, which in general, is decently speedy at loading pages. Of course, it also comes with Internet Explorer "6 on 6" which finally brings a standard browser that one can't be completely ashamed of to the table.

Most people though continue to use and swear by Opera and/or Skyfire. :)