wireless keyboard with touchpad (couch typing/multimedia)

CyberMonkey

I often find myself watching a movie out of the couch, with my laptop on the desk connected to the tv. A wireless keyboard with multimedia keys (Win 7 compatible) AND a decent touchpad would be great. In this way I could comfortably control my pc out of my comfy seat :)
The logitech dinovo edge looks very nice, although quite pricy and I read a lot of mixed remarks on the touchpad. I would like the touchpad to be just like that on a laptop so you can control the mouse without any problem.

Anyone with a clue on what might be best for me?
There is one on amazon which looks all right however I don't know the brand so I have my doubts about the build quality and, as important, the driver support.

Standard bluetooth would be nice as well with "standard" media keys which don't need an enormous driver installation (like those on my thinkpad laptop: they work just fine with anything from winamp over foobar to kmplayer)

thanks!

By chance do you have an iPod Touch or iPhone? There is an awesome VLC app that allows you to control the player (including opening files on the PC).

no, I have a bluetooth compatible phone though. Good idea, should check out if there is any media controlling software for that. But a full keyboard and touchpad would still be nice :)

What phone/phone OS?

If you plan on playing games I would recommend staying away from Bluetooth.

Nokia 6300

gaming is not important, it just has to be reliable with typing.
Actually it doesn't really have to be bluetooth, I just thought it would be handy as I wouldn't need another receiver.

I just ordered a Logitech Media Board Pro for my sister because she's used to a laptop pad and doesn't have space for a mouse. It's bluetooth too so the range is good. :)

Looks interesting, will check that out. Thanks!
Seems to be made for the ps3, though?

edit: looks very interesting, actually. Price ok. Trying to figure out if all the special media buttons work for windows as well.

Last edited:
Yeah it's Windows, for some reason most places market it as a PS3 accessory. Here's Scan's information about it. I originally had it ordered from Scan when I bought the rest of the PC parts, but it was just pre-order with no ETA as you can see.

You do need a Bluetooth adapter for your PC though with this, as it doesn't come with one. Mine will be arriving in a few days, can let you know what it's like before you buy anything.

Last edited:
would be great, thanks. find a lot of confusing information about the media keys, but for most people they don't seem to work.

I'll have to see. I have a wireless Logitech keyboard with media keys and it's always worked right out of the box with windows default drivers. Bluetooth could be different though.

I'm looking for the same type of thing.

I have a PS3 in the basement and a PC in the room next to my TV room.
Currently I have an RF Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse and I have tested that I can control both my PC and PS3 using that in my TV room.
However, since I have only one RF dongle, I have to switch that from my PC to my PS3 and vice versa.

That Media Board Pro looks interesting.
Now I don't know much about Bluetooth pairing, so do you think I could pair them to both the PS3 and PC at the same time?
Obviously I wouldn't have both the PC and PS3 on at the same time, but I don't want to be in the situation where I use it for the PC one time, then the PS3 and then have to re-pair it again to be able to use it for the PC.

There is one on amazon which looks all right
That looks suspiciously like the one I bought a couple of weeks ago as a "KeySonic RF something", just with differently coloured keys.

I like that keyboard very much, it works perfectly with my Kubuntu 9.04 laptop. No driver support needed, just plug the receiver into a USB slot and type away. I therefore assume it won't be a problem with Windows neither.
The keys are small, but that's not a real issue for a couch keyboard. The keyboard goes to standby after some time to save battery. To wake it up hit any key; there's no powr switch. I can't tell about battery life yet.

Edit: Just saw that it's a different model. Mine doesn't have changeable channels and is only half the price.

Last edited:
Okay so the keyboard arrived today. Setup was dead easy on Win7 Pro x64, I already had the bluetooth set up and once the keyboard is turned on it's visible to all. It's just a case of selecting it, pairing it by typing the pin number shown and then windows handles the rest. There is no Logitech software for it listed on the website, though I haven't tried installing Setpoint.

Now, keys. At present, only one of the media keys works, Play/Pause. The forward/back keys don't (they're designed to be rewind/fast-forward) don't, but I'm trying to get some character mapping software to fix that. There are no Windows keys but Ctrl + Esc will open the Start menu. There are also two click buttons on the bottom left.

Other than those it's a great keyboard, very light and easy to type with, the touch pad despite being small (you'll need to crank up the pointer speed) is very accurate. Hopefully it'll keep going like this 3 year old RF keyboard. :)