Would you get an A3?

Yes I know they are different things, made a small mistake. S3 does not exist in the US. We have S4 Sedan/Avant/Cabriolet, S5 and S6 and we only get the RS4 out of the RS models. Obviously I can only speak of what the US has :)

Sure, had no idea you didn't have the S3. You'll probably not get the TTS either then. :cry:

Sure, had no idea you didn't have the S3. You'll probably not get the TTS either then. :cry:

I don't think we do, we get the 2.0T FWD and a 3.2 V6 Q in either the Coupe or the Roadster versions. Damnit I'm moving :cry:

Although from the description the S3 is not all that much more powerful than the S-line A3, it's only about 17 more HP.

I love the A3, there are improvements over the Golf, I think it looks better too. I would consider it, but still consider a Golf GTI - There awesome on many many levels.

It's a tough one.

If money is a factor, and it always is, buy the GTI. It's essentially the same car just without the glitz and glamour that comes with an entry level Audi.

However, if you live in a demographic like I do, you'll see the GTI a lot more frequently on the road than the A3. Also the A3 comes in a 4 door, so it would be more practical. Yeah I know the GTI also can come in a 4-door variant but, GTIs to me have to be two-doors. The A3, also will have nice touches like the huge sunroof and AWD.

It's certainly a dilly of a pickle... but if it were me I'd save the money and get the GTI. I have a feeling the Audi is going to plummet in resale value over the next 3 years, and I'd rather keep the GTI as a cult favourite and resell it later for more.

I personally would only take an A3 for GTI money, and I'd really only take a GTI if i got a good deal on it. At their base levels, they are both still, 2.0L I-4 hatchbacks. Albeit, one of the best 4-cylinder engines on the market. If you don't like/can't live with the bits on a GTI, look around for a clean lease-returned A3. IMO it's pointless to get the 3.2L engine in either car as the 2.0T engine is just -THAT- good, plus with rising gas prices, there becomes even less of a reason to get the 3.2. Ultimately, a good used A3 with an extended warranty is like buying a new one for thousands less.

...and i hate to admit it, but skip the DSG option. That transmission is -TOO- good for regular driving. I'd honestly have to say that unless you 9/10ths it everywhere you go, it's almost silly to have except for others oogling it and the occasional stop-light drag.

The 2.0T quattro is euro market spec car.

yep pretty much agree with these guys, go for the VW GTI. Right now that's my favorite car, I'm saving money to get it.

a) The A3 is only available as a wagon/estate in North America... no coupe.
b) The GTI also comes in a 5 door format.

^ Yeah, when I was exploring the GTI as an option I was planning on going with the 5 door.

But now, with hindsight, I probably should have bought the 2 door if I had bought a GTI at all. For one, the GTI just looks right in 2 door format, that's how it's traditionally been... a 5 door GTI is as wrong as a 4 door M3.

Also, the back of the 2 door GTI is plenty large enough. Sure entering/exiting takes some effort, but once you're in you have ample legroom and ample headroom... the latter of which is rare in these hot hatches. Definitely not worth buying the weird-looking 5 door if the backs are the same size.

Just an overpriced golf IMO.

stick with the golf.

you can't get the tartan seats in an a3, so that's gotta make it an insta-loser

It's overpriced for what is a fairly old car. I used to like it, but I feel it's way behind the rest of the range by a fair stretch.

you can't get the tartan seats in an a3, so that's gotta make it an insta-loser

In North America most people go for leather anyway, since the nice sporty seats don't come in tartan over here. I know, it's a true shame.

Where is the OP from anyway? I just assumed he was a NAer.

There is one thing you need to know and understand about the A3. It?s a Golf ... with less space for passengers, less bootspace and a much higher pricetag. The silly "sportback" version (that?s what they call it over here) they test in that video doesn?t help. Get a Golf and you?ll technically have the same car, the same build-quality, more space and some money still in your pocket. But I too would choose the A3 ... just on looks and style - you just have to realise, on Paper there are better choices.

edit:
a) The A3 is only available as a wagon/estate in North America... no coupe.[...]
Bad luck I guess, you only get the ugly one with the ruined proportions ...

Last edited:
Me and a friend of mine both bougth 1 like 3 months ago. I can only find 1 problem, you have to reach pretty far back to get to your seatbelt...hey if you find this a problem don't get 1. Other then that nothing but good things really, I love it!

Great car, but too expensive. I always wondered how people would spend Golf GTi money on a 2.0 TDi A3. I know Audis are well made and all that stuff, but they are way too overpriced for what they give you. It's one of those cars which comes with nothing and everything is optional making it more expensive than what it initally is.

I'd go for the GTi too ;)

A3 definitely looks much better in comparison to the 1-Series

The 1 sereis is way better than the A3. If you go for the 2 door version. It's great to drive, the A3 is like all Audis, good, but boring. BMWs are drivers cars.

Get a SKODA Octavia - the hot one : VRS (2.0 T FSI 200 BHP). ... OK not an option, but I'd go for the GOLF GTI too, esp. if you got the 5 door option.

Last edited: