XSi (450D) or T1i (500D)

cvrefugee

Car(s)
2005 Scion xB
Okay, so here's the deal: I bought an XSi bundle (kit w/55-250) on Amazon for a really good price, but my original idea was to sell the kit (body/18-55) and keep the 55-250 for a T1i that I was eventually going to purchase when the price went down. Now, I've been comparing these two cameras, and the major differences that I see are:

1) 12.2 vs 15.1MP
2) ISO 1600 vs ISO 3200+
3) N/A - HD video
4) 230K vs 920K screen
5) N/A - HDMI output
6) Digic III vs Digic 4

Other than that, the cameras are the same. My question is should I keep the XSi and save a bundle of money, or should I still try to sell the XSi (still unused) to fund the T1i purchase later on? I think I may regret keeping the XSi. If I should sell it, where's the best place? Craigslist is full of shady low-ballers.

In most situations like this, you're better off spending that extra money on some glass.

I had a similar debate a few months back; spend a bit more on the XSi or get the XS and spend more on lenses. Weigh the features heavily and see if your shooting will benefit from them, if not spend it on lenses. Most of the upgraded features are fluff on the T1i anyway.

One of the reasons I bought my 500D nearly a month ago was to play around with video recording, but I can tell you it's very much a "first generation" attempt at the feature. It *does* take very good video, but it's a bit unwieldy.

The first thing I noticed was that focus is a bear: you have to press the exposure lock button to autofocus (it doesn't work continuously), which you can choose to operate either by contrast-detect (very slow, temporarily overexposes the video while it's working) or via the normal AF method (much faster, but has to drop the mirror down), and both ways interrupt the video you're taking. The second thing you'll notice is that the 18-55mm kit lens is LOUD, especially since the microphone is so close to the lens mount. You'll definitely hear the sound of the autofocus motor in the video, and if it's a somewhat quiet scene, you can even hear the aperture changing as you zoom in or out. IMO, it'd be best to avoid AF altogether and focus video manually instead. Fortunately, the 640x480 screen is pretty good for that, although since the focus ring on the kit lens isn't that smooth, you can still hear it in quiet scenes.

It's also a pain in the ass to switch all the way from the M/Av/Tv modes to the video mode, since they're on opposite ends of the dial! :lol:

I think the answer's pretty obvious: 40D. :p

I was pretty close to getting the 50D, as it feels perfect in my hands, but it's hard for me to justify spending that much on a hobby.

I was pretty close to getting the 50D, as it feels perfect in my hands, but it's hard for me to justify spending that much on a hobby.

40D IMO. Get a refurb, $700-ish USD, cost you less than a new 500D.

meh at 500D, it's just a 450D with video. meh.

So if I told you that I got the XSi body w/18-55 IS and 55-250 IS for less than $700 (brand-new), would you say that I got a good deal and that I should keep it?

Adorama has XSI bodies for $640, the kit with 18-55 + 55-250 for $1000.
Photo4Less has XSI bodies for $575, the only kit they have is 18-55 for $675.

Yeah, that sounds like a whingdinger of a deal, but I still say 40D, IMO. :p

In the immortal words of Sir Mix-a-lot, put 'em on the glass. The 'em being your dollars, naturally.

I quite like my XSi, and assuming you are similar just keep it and then the money you save can go to either lenses or willing prostitutes who will let you take pictures of them.

500d does have nice lcd and the sensor is very very good.. but if you already own a 450d i dont think its worth the money.. for first cam it seems to be nice value.

Why all the nagging about the 40D? It doesn't bring anything to the table that can be concidered a real upgrade from the 450D. Better weather sealing? Yeah, that'll be sweet in the rain when none of your lenses are weather proof..

The 450D is good camera. Unless you really need more megapixels, there's no need to switch camera. If you're after something that can be concidered "an upgrade" over the 450D, then the 5D MKII is your only choice. Anything less (40D, 50D, 500D) is basically just the same as your 450D and a total waste of your money (unless you need those 3 extra megapixels that is...)

If you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket, go out and get some decent lenses. They'll improve your photos a lot more than buying a different camera.

Slight update to my topic - I ended up selling the unused XSi on Craigslist for $600, which makes the 55-250 cost me only $93 in the end. Now Canon is offering a $50 rebate for purchasing an XS, XSi, or T1i if you bought and registered a Powershot camera before July 20, 2009 (which I did, my SX100 IS back in Dec. 2007). The rebate is good until Oct. 5, right around my birthday, so I'm hoping the prices drop even further so that I can pick up a T1i for $750/$700 minus the $50 upgrade rebate.

500d does have superb iso performance compared to 450d and its rivals.

Last edited:
well i stand corrected then, i only read the review in Digi-Kuva (digitalfoto in norway?) and d5000 was not published yet then

I had the same sort of dilema except I needed fast AF for the track. I looked at the 50D and thought I would prefer it over the T1i or XSi. Especially since I've spent some money on CF cards already. Couldn't find a 50D body only anywahere in town. Best Buy had one but I decided it wasn't the right time. Went looking for a reasonable 1D Mk ii per some reccomendations from Cosworth, couldn't find one. Respectable guy at the track offered me a 40D in box with spare battery for $460. sold!

The 40D is definitely doing it for me and I can sell my pics fine with the 10 MP sensor. Already had great glass.

Congrats on getting some coin for the XSi. GL with the T1i upgrade.

so i just skipped down to the bottom and hit reply, but here we go.

these model canons are just there to get us broke college kids into the brand. i would stick it out with the lesser of the 2 cams and spend the rest on a 50m f/1.8 mk2 and some nice L glass (tele or super wide angle). but thats just me.