yay, another Sandy Bridge thread (server build)

titanium88

Car(s)
2008 VW R32
hey guys,

My home server died a couple weeks back (not surprising, its a ~2003ish P4 system. Ancient pile of poo). So I'm looking to replace it with this:

Antec 300 case

Asus P8H67-M PRO/CSM LGA 1155 Motherboard

Corsair 500w Powersupply

Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge CPU

GSkill DDR3 1333 8gb ram kit

Samsung F4 5400rpm 2TB hard drive (2 of them in RAID1)

Scythe 120mm case fan (2 of them for front of Antec case)

Total cost: 732 USD (if all purchased off Newegg).

I will be reusing DVD drives, 1x 200gb boot drive, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc and running off the integrated H67 chipset video. I plan on using this to replace my old one. It will most likely be running Ubuntu Server for file storage, SMB/SSH, LAMP, Ampache, Virtualmachine server (not sure how yet, gonna get a friend to teach me. He got his very similar box to host a Server 2k8R2 VM which is something I want to play with), torrent box, etc.

This server will be running 24/7, 365. And I want it to last for quite a few years, at least live up to its predecessor. So that's why I'm getting something fairly high end now, so that it will last and not be outdated by tomorrow.

I'd appreciate any parts suggestions or comments.

Thanks
Titanium302

Looks just fine but since it's going to run 24/7 I would buy a CPU-cooler because the stock Intel cooler is the worst crap I've ever seen to say the least...
Cooler Master Hyper 212 (It's going to be huge overkill but I wouldn't buy anything else if I already started spending money on a new cooler)

I don't know anything about the fans but if you don't care about the noise I think they will be fine. I've had an Antec 300 my self and if I should have it running 24/7 I would defiantly replace all fans with Noctuas for a 100% silent build :)

Other than that all parts are great parts which have been known to be highly recommended :)

I don't know anything about the fans but if you don't care about the noise I think they will be fine. I've had an Antec 300 my self and if I should have it running 24/7 I would defiantly replace all fans with Noctuas for a 100% silent build :)

Awesome, thanks for the info Small Guy. I didn't realize the stock Intel coolers are that crap (should probably replace the one I'm using on my i7-920). The computer will be running in a mostly empty room, so noise isn't an issue.

Looks just fine but since it's going to run 24/7 I would buy a CPU-cooler because the stock Intel cooler is the worst crap I've ever seen to say the least...
Cooler Master Hyper 212 (It's going to be huge overkill but I wouldn't buy anything else if I already started spending money on a new cooler)

Other than that all parts are great parts which have been known to be highly recommended :)

uh...what? The stock-Intel HSF has been simply incredible post the P4 era. You could do decent OC'ing with the stock HSF on C2Ds from the moment they went retail. Not that they are meant for this, but the fact that they could handle it is incredible.

uh...what? The stock-Intel HSF has been simply incredible post the P4 era. You could do decent OC'ing with the stock HSF on C2Ds from the moment they went retail. Not that they are meant for this, but the fact that they could handle it is incredible.

70 C in a very well cooled Fratal Design with a stock clock 2500k is not very good ;)
- Have you seen how small the heatsink is? On the older i7's they were quite a lot bigger :) (look at my sig if in doubt ;) )