You know you're a car nut when....

HansGruber

Hey guys. Post up some funny stories, experiences etc. that are a reflection of your status as a car nut. I'll start:

When I was in high school I used to sleep during class. My calculus teacher was well aware of this. I don't really have a tendency to talk during my sleep. But one day I was sleeping during class and to wake me up my teacher hit the meter stick against my desk. I remember abruptly lifting my head up and loudly saying "6.1 liter V12!" (I was dreaming about the McLaren F1 LM) Needless to say it was kind of embarrassing.

If I'm tired and walking I will stop at stop signs when there are no cars in sight. Once I was standing on the corner waiting for the light to change at 3am with no cars whatsoever....

When having the house to oneself for the whole day automatically means Discovery Turbo Marathon.

EDIT: And when friends who know you are a car nut ask for recommendations and, regardlesss of their actual needs, the answer is always a Mazda MX5.

Last edited:
...you're reading for "Basics of internal combustion engines" exam when DHL guy interrupts with cam cover gasket for MX-5.

Happened 30 minutes ago :D

My high school allowed you to pick your classes based on interest or field of study, similar to college. The exception was freshman year when you had to take a bunch of entry level classes. So freshman year I had to take an Introduction to Physical Science course. I was in the "honors program" for whatever the fuck it was worth. After every test, the teacher would post the ten highest scores across his three honors sections (roughly 70 kids) on the black board and leave it there until the next test.

Now I was a straight A student except for this class and my math class, both of which I hated, and both of which I had C+/B- averages in, due to total apathy. Need less to say, I never made the top ten, or even close for that matter. Until the test on the internal combustion engine. I was number 1 the only perfect score on the test (indeed the only perfect score on any of his tests until that point). The teacher was blown away. He pulled me aside and asked what changed. "Nothing" I responded, "I still didn't study, I just know this stuff, I've lived it all my life". He was speechless. My parents throughout my whole life never put any of my tests on the refridgerator. But my father, a mechanic his whole life, was so proud of that test he took it to work and hung it on his toobox.

Later, we had a lab where we had to build rubber band powered cars and make them do a bunch of things (the ultimate cheap car challenge) to demostrate our understanding of weight distributin and the like. I got an A+ on that too. The only two As I ever got in a science class.

Does that count?

My

Bought a house, it doesn't have a dinning room, but it has a 2 door garage that can hold 4 cars.

When I was in high school I used to sleep during class. My calculus teacher was well aware of this. I don't really have a tendency to talk during my sleep. But one day I was sleeping during class and to wake me up my teacher hit the meter stick against my desk. I remember abruptly lifting my head up and loudly saying "6.1 liter V12!" (I was dreaming about the McLaren F1 LM) Needless to say it was kind of embarrassing.

Similar story: I must have been 11-years-old. It was early in the morning (probably around 6am) and my mom was trying to wake me up for school. She asked me where I left something. My response, while still sleeping was: "It's in front of the car." What car? "The car...on the first track". (I was dreaming of the McLaren F1 driving on Proving Grounds in NFS2)

When I was 17 I got a job specifically to pay for some serious modifications to my Jeep.

As a kid, when I was sitting in the car with my parents I named all the cars (correctly) I saw to pass the time.

As a kid, when I was sitting in the car with my parents I named all the cars (correctly) I saw to pass the time.

I did that too. I used to collect brochures at the auto show and then sit at home and read them all. Until I graduated from high school, I held subscriptions to 8 car magazines.

You ignore the orange and blue gems in Bejeweled, just so you can see you much of the board you can fill with Gulf Racing colours.

What? Just me then?

You see a dude in a Miata and instead of thinking "What a fag!" you think "wonder what he did on his last autox".

Reactions: MWF
I did that too. I used to collect brochures at the auto show and then sit at home and read them all. Until I graduated from high school, I held subscriptions to 8 car magazines.

Hey, stop living my childhood life! :p

Car magazine was my firat foray into British motoring culture when I was 12-13.

You decide that you want a more reliable and efficient car for the commute to your new job - result.

...when watching Iron Man, you're more interested in the out-of-focus Saleen S7 and Cobra replica in the background of Tony Stark's garage than his experiments with the arc reactor in the foreground