Your Camera Equipment

I started photography a year back.

I've got a Nikon D60, 16-55mm kit lens, 55-200 kit lens, 17-85mm lens, Speedlight SB600 external flash and a BlackRapid R-strap :D

Bought myself Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 camera.

Allready had my D3000 for a couple of months, so it was time to get these :D
919e7409.jpg

Caved in and bought a 3rd camera, decided to add a true pocket size P&S to the current lineup

4827368777_0bc942bbf7.jpg

4827976090_5e6fce1b13.jpg

4827979270_f176a46c08.jpg

Last edited:
I have an hour charger for the 2450mAh batteries I use in my flash gun that really buzzes due to the current. Makes me a little uneasy sitting behind it. :lol:

I'm looking at replacing my D40 with a D5000 or D90 after I get the Landy through its MOT. Not sure which one yet :)

Thanks, I've been thinking the same thing, I only considered it because it has the same sensor, 11 point AF and is a good deal cheaper. Looks like I'll probably go for the D90 with the 18-55mm VR. The 18-135mm VR is nice but it's another ?100 on the kit price and since I have the 55-200mm VR I don't see the need. I can't justify going body only and getting an 18-200mm either.

^ That as well. If my D50 dies tomorrow I'll get a D90 (I ain't upgrading yet because I can't afford to :p). The D3000 and D5000 exist solely to sell to photography students now that someone has told them that bridge cameras suck.

I have an hour charger for the 2450mAh batteries I use in my flash gun that really buzzes due to the current. Makes me a little uneasy sitting behind it. :lol:

I'm looking at replacing my D40 with a D5000 or D90 after I get the Landy through its MOT. Not sure which one yet :)

D90; the D5000 is a gimmick.

Thanks, I've been thinking the same thing, I only considered it because it has the same sensor, 11 point AF and is a good deal cheaper. Looks like I'll probably go for the D90 with the 18-55mm VR. The 18-135mm VR is nice but it's another ?100 on the kit price and since I have the 55-200mm VR I don't see the need. I can't justify going body only and getting an 18-200mm either.

Getting a D5000 over a D90 for the price savings alone is a HUGE mistake and you'll be kicking yourself after the purchase.

1. The D5000 swivel LCD is worse resolution than the D90/300/700/3 awesome LCD display and the swivel direction is basically useless for most awkward angle shots
2. D5000 has no built in AF motor in the body compared to D90 so half the Nikon legacy glass will be useless to you if you want to retain AF, also many good aftermarket lenses like the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 will also lose its AF ability
3. D90 has the top mount info LCD which the D5000 lacks, I find this very useful esp when shooting at night.

Thanks, the D90 does seem like the one for me, despite the bloke in Jessops today trying to persuade me to get a D5000. He shoots with one and seems to think it's better than a D90 which is fine because he's entitled to his opinion but I don't agree.

Thanks, the D90 does seem like the one for me, despite the bloke in Jessops today trying to persuade me to get a D5000. He shoots with one and seems to think it's better than a D90 which is fine because he's entitled to his opinion but I don't agree.
He's a nerd who owns a camera, not a photographer. Avoid.

Yeah he also claims he has a 5D MkII, a D3 and a 550D but I don't know if that's BS or not. Anyway I do prefer the D90 so will start looking at the deals.

Yeah he also claims he has a 5D MkII, a D3 and a 550D but I don't know if that's BS or not. Anyway I do prefer the D90 so will start looking at the deals.

If he's that big a nerd who gets store discounts, I'd believe it. btw avoid the 18-105 VR kit lens that comes with it, it's a bit crap, save yourself some $$ and buy the body only and then pair it up w a proper telephoto lens. The 18-200mm VR Nikkor lens is much better. I chose to go the aftermarket route and pair mine up with a Tamron 18-270mm VC

4780390483_b393962c14.jpg

Last edited:
Proper telephoto and f6.3 superzoom don't usually go in the same statement...

He's a nerd who owns a camera, not a photographer. Avoid.

I'm a nerd with a camera, fuck you. :p

Also, I'm no longer without a polarizer. After losing my CPL earlier this week, I just got a new used one (plus FLD and UV filters that I'm never going to use) last night for $30. Not saying it's great quality, but neither was my old one so it's all good (flare is the only issue, don't point at the sun or use it at night and there is no problem).

Last edited:
I'm a nerd with a camera
I didn't say that they were mutually exclusive. The salesman just sounds like completely the former.

Also, I'm no longer without a polarizer. After losing my CPL earlier this week, I just got a new used one (plus FLD and UV filters that I'm never going to use) last night for $30. Not saying it's great quality, but neither was my old one so it's all good (flare is the only issue, don't point at the sun or use it at night and there is no problem).
Meh, I only spent a few bucks on my CPLs. They work just fine.

Proper telephoto and f6.3 superzoom don't usually go in the same statement...

I'm a nerd with a camera, fuck you. :p

You know what my point is, stop being pedantic, why would I convince him to spend $$$$ on a 70-200 f2.8?

Substitute 'proper' with 'better quality' if that makes you happy.

Also epp_B's point is you're not a toolbag trying to convince a customer to get a D5000 over a D90.

Meh, I only spent a few bucks on my CPLs. They work just fine.

I'm actually going to replace my CPL soon because it was only a cheap one and while it works great on my kit lens and prime, I cannot get a sharp photo on my 55-200. I have no idea why. I'll probably wait until I get the D90 now though so I can build up a decent amount for the deposit.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll get the 18-55mm VR kit and save for something better.