Your Camera Equipment

I love my Canon 7D! Though I do wonder about the "soft"ness issue. It doesn't look super sharp at 100% crop but I assume it is not supposed to be. I've been borrowing my friends 24-70L and have used her friend's friend 17-55mm f/2.8 (the latter actually seems sharper, i assume its because its newer, built for EFS-S, and most likely treated better than the 24-70L). The photos look a lot better coming from my Canon XT, so i'm happy with that.

I went back to the future (or forward to my past?) regarding my equipment: two years ago I switched cameras with a friend of mine, he got my D1X and I got his D2H. At the time I also had a D200 so the D2H became my secondary camera, but for the past year it's been my one and only DSLR. Otherwise I'd love to keep it, but sadly the lack of pixels has been most unfortunate in some situations. Last week I got the silly idea to suggest that we swap our cameras back and apparently the D2H would suit my friend's shooting needs a lot better at the moment, so it's a win-win for both of us (again) :)

My main concern are the batteries, because the D1X relies on the good ol' NIMH technology. That's what made it a lousy secondary camera, because you really need to use it to keep the batteries alive and kicking. Forget it for a week or two and the batteries are dead. Hopefully they'll work out allright since it's going to be my main camera and I might order a new spare battery if I happen to have some extra money laying around (yeah, like that's gonna happen) :p

edit: I just had to dig up a photo back from when I last had the camera :p What a handsome brute.

full

Last edited:
also borrowed an Elinchrome Dual Quadra kit and retro fitted it to my Softbox for a shoot tomorrow:

excuse the naff photos, its only warm in the lounge room here

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

Unless the 24mp is completely useless for him, as it is for many.

Got a 550d and a 18-55 kit lens as a gift today. I actually got to choose between 50d (body) and 550d, that was a tough call.

He needs a fast cam with good ISO performance for field work, not 24mp, which is intended for studio work.

But I thought he already had a D3, with a D3x he could diversify!

D3 -> D3s: Higher ISO sensitivity (2 stops), sensor cleaning, larger buffer and what I think Alok might want the most, the ability to record 720p video. Can't do that with a D3x.

Eh... I would have chose the 50D and bought myself a lens instead :\

I didn't do that because 50d didn't really give me anything I need compared to 550d, only AF micro adjustment. I like my camera lighter, and since I have small-ish hands I can get a good grip from both. (I actually had one lens already 50mm 1.8, which I used with my dads 400d)

Now I'm saving for L.

edit: the lens wasn't really a consideration here. Compared to the 550d body it was on 50e more, so why not?

Last edited:
I'm looking into getting some Cokin filters, and was beaten to a good set on eBay by 50p last night. The main filter I want is a cooling filter for indoor use, I shot in a sports hall lit with old lights and the in camera WB just couldn't handle it, every picture came out orange. Applying photo filters in PS helped but massively increased the noise. I also need to pull my finger out and buy a speedlight.

I'm looking into getting some Cokin filters, and was beaten to a good set on eBay by 50p last night. The main filter I want is a cooling filter for indoor use, I shot in a sports hall lit with old lights and the in camera WB just couldn't handle it, every picture came out orange. Applying photo filters in PS helped but massively increased the noise. I also need to pull my finger out and buy a speedlight.

Shoot in raw.

I also need to pull my finger out and buy a speedlight.

Get it from here. Or at least have a look. I get all my photo stuff (when I do) from there as its damn cheap and quick delivering. Definitely recommend.

And I've been looking at Cokin stuff as well, though partly for video. I just don't know how well it all works though...

Doesn't look that convincing to be honest, for example they're selling two D700 kits with 18-105mm and 18-200mm lenses. A full frame camera with crop lenses? Wtf? And they're selling a D2Xs for 2800 pounds... :huh:

^ They're certainly reliable; there's no doubt about that. I've only used them for cheaper stuff (I don't have any expensive stuff, ignoring the fact its expensive to me) but for what I've used them for, where else would I go? I do do research into what I need, and would eventually come across the fact that those lenses and that camera don't go together, so I'd either find somewhere selling a kit with a proper lens, or buy the body and lenses separately, but again, where do I get decent photographic equipment relatively cheaply?
Maybe theres a better place for the high end stuff, like you get? :dunno:
(NB: I'm not actually looking for any, its just that for me I'll have a look on Amazon, maybe eBay but other than that I wouldn't be sure where to go).