Your Camera Equipment

You know what my point is, stop being pedantic, why would I convince him to spend $$$$ on a 70-200 f2.8?

Substitute 'proper' with 'better quality' if that makes you happy.

Also epp_B's point is you're not a toolbag trying to convince a customer to get a D5000 over a D90.

No no, I don't mean "lolsuperzoomlol" I just mean that a superzoom is a different category of lens than a dedicated telephoto (ie. not a proper telephoto), like a macro zoom lens is different from a 1:1 macro prime lens. If the only goal is telephoto range a superzoom is less as good as a 70-300 / 55-2X0 (which are also f5.6 on the long end and not f6.3) and they are not in a higher price range than a superduperzoom.

No no, I don't mean "lolsuperzoomlol" I just mean that a superzoom is a different category of lens than a dedicated telephoto (ie. not a proper telephoto), like a macro zoom lens is different from a 1:1 macro prime lens. If the only goal is telephoto range a superzoom is less as good as a 70-300 / 55-2X0 (which are also f5.6 on the long end and not f6.3) and they are not in a higher price range than a superduperzoom.

Quite trying to veer off from the original point with your tangent. My point is a Nikkor 17-200 VR or Tamron 18-270 VC is a better superzoom (there I corrected it) option than the kit 18-105 that comes with the D90.

Let's save the telephoto discussion for another time. It was a wrong choice of words.

picked up a used Nikkor 28mm f2.8 prime for dirt cheap from a local

4855118405_bb9f729696_z.jpg

Well I finally made a video with my car mount. Its fine and stable - it only fell off a couple of times as I hadn't cleaned the car so there was plenty of dirt/dust etc to muck up the suction. And it gets quite shaky when I go above 30, but other than that - pretty damn good I must say. For ?4 at least :) The roads in the second location were very bumpy, I must add. :p

Last edited:
needs polarizing filter... what cam youre driving there with?

Last edited:
A Panasonic Lumix TZ7, so not massively easy to attach a polariser. This was my first test, and there are many things I would do differently the next time around.

my D80 had suffer a sensor failure, found out the waranty expired a month ago... so i ordered a D300s today :)

Great camera, hope you enjoy it, 14 bit processing FTW. btw how did sensor failure manifest in your camera? Was it taking photos but the images came out all horrible with dead pixels? Or did it refuse to take photos at all?

usually here warranty or finnish consumer protetion law cover products which break down that near warranty expiration dates.

How long do you have the legal protection of the Consumer Protection law in Finland, Sifu?

Over here, it means that generally speaking, the product should last for either three or five years. It hasn't got much to do with price, but if something should last five years, the legal protection will extend to five years. Hard to say something general, but a camera should last at least five years.

How long do you have the legal protection of the Consumer Protection law in Finland, Sifu?

Over here, it means that generally speaking, the product should last for either three or five years. It hasn't got much to do with price, but if something should last five years, the legal protection will extend to five years. Hard to say something general, but a camera should last at least five years.

Wish we had that kind of legislation here. But in reality even if one were to file a claim, it would probably be tied up for months in legal red tape which means realistically, no camera to use :( It just gives us an excuse to upgrade cameras anyway which is what most of us secretly desire to do :p

Great camera, hope you enjoy it, 14 bit processing FTW. btw how did sensor failure manifest in your camera? Was it taking photos but the images came out all horrible with dead pixels? Or did it refuse to take photos at all?

this nasty line was suddenly on every picture... :( but it was the perfect excuse to upgrade the camera :) i just dont hope nikon brings a d400 allready next month or so..
961507279_hBivf-O.jpg

i havend showed it to the nikon people yet, if its a cheap fix (which i dont think so) im glad to have backup body. but i guess its good by to my f?rst DSLR camera...

I wasn't aware that this could happen so easily. I was on a festival last year, took my camera with me?shot quite a few pictures of the lighting installations, including lasers. Seeing this I'd say I've been lucky. Must stink to ruin your 5D :?

To fair sure, I'm pretty sure it's quite unlikely to happen unless you're making a video in the direction of the lasers.

Well I finally made a video with my car mount. Its fine and stable - it only fell off a couple of times as I hadn't cleaned the car so there was plenty of dirt/dust etc to muck up the suction. And it gets quite shaky when I go above 30, but other than that - pretty damn good I must say. For ?4 at least :) The roads in the second location were very bumpy, I must add. :p

Snip

Great stuff, I don't know if that's the same mount I have but I didn't know the little ones could handle being used on paint and on the road. Music is great too, Gotta love Gorillaz.

I made one with mine, but I only dared to stick it to the window and was holding on to the lanyard the whole time. This is a Sanyo Xacti CG10 so quality is a bit meh. And the rattling is annoying, sorry.

^ Only a couple of shots that I did first (like the second shot in the video, of the windscreen) I didn't have the camera secured in any way other than the suction. Fortunately the roads in the housing estate were a lot smoother than the B-roads :p Quite a lot of the shots were from glass though, and the Kangoo's metal is mostly very flat (like the Landie's I guess). When it was secured I had some string through the camera's wriststrap (just to extend it) trapped in one of the doors. It actually worked quite well, and the camera only fell off the metal twice, but like you it was in my mirror and I stopped the instant it dropped (just randomly by the side of the road) and re-set it. I would advise cleaning the car first, and then wetting the suction pad with spit before sticking it to metal (or glass). I hadn't cleaned the car so the surface was quite dusty. But that first time has given me lots of thoughts and ideas for the second time round, to improve everything. :)

on a slightly different note I ordered the Richard Franiec custom grip for the S90, it applies with double sided adhesive. Milled out of CNC aluminum it matches the color and texture of the camera body, makes it much easier to hold one handed and looks great

4880588673_c22ed6d0ae_z.jpg

4880589647_31ec99f131_z.jpg

4880591239_35ab1dd36d_z.jpg

4881201100_49e9890623_z.jpg