Your Camera Equipment

Long time since I posted in here but I was at the Focus show at the NEC today and obviously you have to buy something. Avoided anything too expensive (although I had a play with and would like a 70-300mm Nikkor) but did get a new camera strap. I got really fed up of the neck strap after years of using them so removed it, but carry the camera around in my hand gets old quickly too, so I got a Joby 3-way strap.

3way-camera-strap-3modes-intro-photo.jpg

http://joby.com/camera-straps/3-way-camera-strap/

I don't have to explain why I like it, I've been looking at this one for a while and for ?30 I had to have it there and then.

Ive been toying with getting new filters for my bag and got some cokin p -series knockoffs.. it wasnt much of an investment and shall see how it turns out to be..

+ I have been toying with the idea of getting an ND filter for my samyang 14mm, it does not have any filter threads so some diy is in place. Will be showing the results and steps if it works out....

I might be the owner of a used EOS 5D as of tomorrow. Just a quick question in forehand: What would you recommend me to use cleaning it (removing old sweat from viewfinder etc.)? Just some water or maybe alcohol/spirit?

Nikon D700 with MB-D10 Grip
Nikon 16mm f/2.8D
Nikon 14mm f/2.8D
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G
Nikon 105mm f/2.8G
Nikon 300mm f/4D
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 (Replace Nikon 50mm f/1.4G)
Nikon SB800 Speedflash
Olympus EP-1 + Lumix 20mm f1.7

IMG_2472NXPowerLite.jpg

I have now gone (slightly) mad. I became a member of a student photography club lately, and through that I now have access to a dark room. I have now developed three rolls of film on my own: Kodak Tmax 100 and 400, as well as an Illford 125. Since I had some Canon FD-lenses already, I added an FD body. Purchased a nicely used Canon T90 from Keh for $70:

8610198465_e6fbc429c2_b.jpg

I already had the 135/2, 200/2.8 and 500/4.5L, so I added an FDn 50/1.2, also from Keh.

This is just the main hardware that goes into my bag. I left out the light modifiers, rain gear and etc.

D3s
D3
500mm F4
300mm F2.8
70-200mm F2.8
85mm F1.4D
50mm F1.2
14-24mm F2.8
1.4 TC
SB800
SB600
8641153306_5bf17de67a_c.jpg

I have now gone (slightly) mad. I became a member of a student photography club lately, and through that I now have access to a dark room. I have now developed three rolls of film on my own: Kodak Tmax 100 and 400, as well as an Illford 125. Since I had some Canon FD-lenses already, I added an FD body. Purchased a nicely used Canon T90 from Keh for $70:

8610198465_e6fbc429c2_b.jpg

I already had the 135/2, 200/2.8 and 500/4.5L, so I added an FDn 50/1.2, also from Keh.

Nice!

I checked the prices on the EOS 1v the other day. It's still sold from new almost at the price of a 5D Mark III! On the second hand market, however, it's generally priced around 2000 kroner.

A pity you need an adapter for FD-lenses to work with EOS-equipment, though.

Long time since I posted in here but I was at the Focus show at the NEC today and obviously you have to buy something. Avoided anything too expensive (although I had a play with and would like a 70-300mm Nikkor) but did get a new camera strap. I got really fed up of the neck strap after years of using them so removed it, but carry the camera around in my hand gets old quickly too, so I got a Joby 3-way strap.

3way-camera-strap-3modes-intro-photo.jpg

http://joby.com/camera-straps/3-way-camera-strap/

I don't have to explain why I like it, I've been looking at this one for a while and for ?30 I had to have it there and then.

I actually quite like that idea. I've long since attached my next strap only one of the side strap handles to use it as a wrist strap as I do the majority of the time, but it would be nice to have it has a shoulder or neck strap when I occasionally need it.

I'm not sure about the cord, though ... what the heck is "Dyneema"? Anyone have experience with it?

Also, it looks like there's no receiver put the QR plate on the bottom. Booo.

Last edited:
How did I end up with so much gear??

Nikon D7000
Nikon D80 (not sure what to do with this one now)
Nikon 35mm f1.8G AF-S DX
Nikon 50mm f1.8G AF-S
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX (currently experiencing VR shake issues)
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Pro DX
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG
Nikon SB600
A couple cheapish tripods

And now I need a bigger bag to carry all this stuff.

Nice!

I checked the prices on the EOS 1v the other day. It's still sold from new almost at the price of a 5D Mark III! On the second hand market, however, it's generally priced around 2000 kroner.

A pity you need an adapter for FD-lenses to work with EOS-equipment, though.
That's the beauty with FD-lenses, you can't use them on EOS-cameras, so they're very cheap: Got a 135/2 for just $250, 200/2.8 for $200, and a 500/4.5L for under $1000. Also after getting the T90, I can say I have a full frame camera... :p Developing B&W-film is also very easy, all you need is a daylight tank, access to a completely dark room and some chemicals: XTOL, Stop (basically just vinegar) and Fixer (reusable)

Check out Keh.com, they have a lot of good second hand equipment. I see they have a lot of good EOS 1 cameras for less than $300.

I found out that my T90 had the sticky shutter syndrome though:
Another, more serious, problem concerns the shutter. The T90's shutter appears to become "sticky" as the camera ages. It is prone to locking up, in which case the camera's LCD displays "EEE" and the message "HELP" appears in the viewfinder display. This is commonly called the "EEE syndrome" among users. The problem is most likely to crop up after the camera has been left unused for some time; thus, the best way to prevent it is regular use of the camera. It does not seem to cause inaccurate shutter speeds before failure. The problem can be corrected by a knowledgeable technician without replacing the shutter mechanism. It is reportedly caused by dirt on the shutter's magnets affecting their performance. But if left unused for an extended period of time the circuit will need to be replaced, an expensive and time-consuming proposition.

The sticky shutter problem relates to a rubber washer which is involved in the operation of the shutter. With age and atmospheric conditions, it tends to deteriorate and become sticky, so that it impedes the operation of the shutter. Frequent use can delay the stickiness from 'glueing up' the shutter, but once started, the only long-term remedy is to have the shutter repaired, when the rubber washer is replaced, and so another 10 years or more can be enjoyed with the camera working correctly. A good short term solution is to lightly clean the shutter diaphragm with a cotton ball and lighter fluid.
I saw it when I developed the film that some frames were either just partially or not exposed at all. What I did was that I used a cotton stick and pure alcohol to (carefully) clean the crap I saw off the shutter diaphragm. After having dragged a couple of rolls of film through it, that cleaning job seemed to have done the trick.

After seeing DRTV's latest short on film SLRs, I've decided to rewind the clock a bit and do film photography for awhile. I think it'll be good for me.

The only film camera I've ever owned was an AE-1 gifted to me by my dad. That little guy is long gone and I'm going to see if I can find anything good on craigslist.

Do any of you have recommendations for good 35mm SLRs? I'm not exactly from around the film era so I don't know what's hot and not. I liked the look of the OM-1 that was in the video and supposedly it was pretty awesome back in the day......

It's got to be old enough that everything is manual though :D

After much resizing, I now have a Fuji XE1 + 18/2 + a Jupiter 8 for portraits. And a Zeiss Nettar and a crown graphic for the bigger formats. :D

After seeing DRTV's latest short on film SLRs, I've decided to rewind the clock a bit and do film photography for awhile. I think it'll be good for me.

The only film camera I've ever owned was an AE-1 gifted to me by my dad. That little guy is long gone and I'm going to see if I can find anything good on craigslist.

Do any of you have recommendations for good 35mm SLRs? I'm not exactly from around the film era so I don't know what's hot and not. I liked the look of the OM-1 that was in the video and supposedly it was pretty awesome back in the day......

If you want to go full manual i think the Canon AE1 is still the cheapest one around, i have one lying around. The biggest problem i have with it is, that you can't control the shutter speed. You can tell the Camera what Film you are using (ASA) but that is only for the lightning meter in the viewfinder and doesn't effect the shutter :/. YOu have 3 Options with it: Normal,Bulb and Flash.

the Minolta Maxxum 7000 is a bit more modern and comfortable to use (auto filmwinder and AF) and adjustable shutterspeed up to 2000 which is more than enough. The only downside with that is the Plastic fantastic Body (got feat. in analog rev - Cheap "Full Frame" SLR).

Finished building my newest addition to the fleet - a 6x17 panoramic camera with a 65mm f/5.6 ultrawide. Takes 120 or 220 roll film via the removable back - but I can swap the back to accept my 4x5 holder, making it a fixed-focus portable 4x5. Can't wait to test it! Incidentally, since it's all based on Cambo SC running gear, the 617 back also fits my other Cambo SCII so I can use it with movements (and all my other LF lenses) on the full view camera.

The next step of the project is to modify the old Cambo frame into a tripod adapter for it.

Last edited:
If you want to go full manual i think the Canon AE1 is still the cheapest one around, i have one lying around. The biggest problem i have with it is, that you can't control the shutter speed. You can tell the Camera what Film you are using (ASA) but that is only for the lightning meter in the viewfinder and doesn't effect the shutter :/. YOu have 3 Options with it: Normal,Bulb and Flash.

the Minolta Maxxum 7000 is a bit more modern and comfortable to use (auto filmwinder and AF) and adjustable shutterspeed up to 2000 which is more than enough. The only downside with that is the Plastic fantastic Body (got feat. in analog rev - Cheap "Full Frame" SLR).

See I remember that being a problem on the AE-1......I found a few postings on OM-1's online though. Is there anything bad/wrong with the camera I should know about it? How much should it be worth nowadays?

See I remember that being a problem on the AE-1......I found a few postings on OM-1's online though. Is there anything bad/wrong with the camera I should know about it? How much should it be worth nowadays?

i don't know much about the OM-1, but in general all Film cameras have a rubber seal on the back case (there where the film is put in, around the flap) which likes to go bad after years and let's creep in light from the back. There are still some people around who can repair this though.

prices for the Olympus start in Europe around 129 $, just for the body! You can have the AE-1 with a 50mm for half the price.
don't know about price differences in the states/canada though.

Same here.

I?ve been playing with the idea for years.
I rather have a fully manual one, Canon if possible.Tips?