Your favourite sounding car?

Lamborghini Gallardo > Murcielago in my honest opinion, but murc isn't bad, just not Gallardo good,

really any classic italian car seems to sound good, i haven't heard one that would deserve less than a 9/10, even from my super-critical ears

Zonda is good, but Enzo sounds better, F50 is interesting, but is almost too high-pitch sounding for such a wide (big) looking car

E60 M5s with stock headers and opened up exhausts sound like F1 cars, which is cool :), the Eurosport header also sounds like V8 esqe, and i rather like it.
E46 M3s have really really crap exhaust notes (too raspy) but the overwelming intake noise is very good, i think thats what people are usually listening to when they say "i like the way a M3 sounds)

cars i been around in real life? Drove a 1992 Race prepared Alfa Romeo Spider (2.0 TwinSpark engine) with custom exhaust (forget specifics) Driving it was pure joy! it was the first car ive ever driven that made me deliberately speed just so i could listen to its engine. The guy who owned it now has a 1968 Barracuda which sounds equally as good, but in a different way

4ages (old toyota 1.6ltr) do sound good in various applications, im designing and building a header for my MR2 which should sound very very good (spent alot of times studying the dynamics of header sound, and i have been blessed to be in contact with a lead tech advisor from Flowmaster!)

C6 corvette at Grattan Raceway sounded awesome in front of me (most cars at track-days have forgettable sounds, this one didn't)

Cars that disappoint me? Lotus Elise, especially as i know the engine supplied in the car can sound wonderful, as illistrated by various MR2 spyder engine swappers. 350Z sounds almost fake to me, like when one says a girl looks "too plastic" that is how i feel about its exhaust noise. BMW Z3 M was suprisingly dull for being a convertable. and most subarus sound too much like farts for my liking, dispite all my freinds thinking that their the shizzat (even the muscle car guys)

Last edited:
1930's racing cars

Fia Gts

Astons

Muscle cars

I do love wailing Ferraris, rasping Lamborghinis, barking Astons and so on...

- but one engine note that blew me away is the TVR Speed 12 (a backup link here and here). It really sounds like the three headed demon dog that it was named after... Makes my hair stand on end every time even though I've only ever seen and heard vids.

And for those of you who love huge V's and even bigger radials, not to mention props, do yourself a favour and visit the Reno Air Races at least once in your life!

DJ
--

For me the:
Gallardo
F430
BMW M5 (E60)
Corvette Z06

OMG, this guy again. (You can say the same about me but I'm not the one starting topics, please, I'm off the hook). Stop asking questions, sit the next one out champ.

I've just realized the importance of the original poster column on forum layouts.

I think any Formula 1 car ever built has the best sound.

Non-F1, I have seen a V8 Vantage and boy did it sound good. I want one, or a DB9.

Saw a few good sounding cars last weekend (http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?t=19585&highlight=zealandring)
IMO the F355 has the best exhaust note out of them. Not the loudest or the highest revving, but it's a very clean F1 like sound. The 360 CS is just noisy, and the F430 a little to unsophisticated. Oh, and the Gallardo and LP640 sounds quite nice.
The CGT was also good, but to dampened and the Mirage a little to raw.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Hmm favourites eh ? how about

- Aston V12s
- Zonda V12s
- Any BMW Straight six
- Alfa GT V6
- BMW V10 at high revs
- Ferrari F430 V8

and of course the Mclaren F1

Hmm, it may be unfair to throw WWII aircraft engines in this comparison :lol:. I can remember hearing a P51 at an air show when I was like 10, that definitely left a good impression. My favorite noises in general come from V8s, I used to get out and go to watch dirt track racing, and Sprint Cars sound evil in person.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hFXzDVzMPvQ

I don't really think the video does the sound justice, but I like the drivers perspective.

any AMG engine in the last few years...6.2L, 5.5 n/a / super, or the 7.3, amzingggggg sounds...but for me my favorite would definately be Audi's 4.2V8 in the RS4/R8, it doesnt sound like any other engine ive heard, and its just absolutely amazing=D

Somewhere between a 997 Porsche Turbo, Aston Martin Vantage and a Ferrari 430.

Mclaren SLR and Aston V8 ftw. They are ultimate.

Being here in Australia we don't get that many super cars, from the one's that i have heard in person i would have to say,

-F430 (with capristo :p)
-Gallardo SE
-LP640,

The LP640 i think is an awesome car but need a deeper sound to suit the car, but the stock sound is amazing but i think it needs more for that car.

Zonda F, FXX, Aston AMV8, Ford GTX-1

Somewhere between a 997 Porsche Turbo, Aston Martin Vantage and a Ferrari 430.

The 997TT has no sound from factory, sounds like shit and i think that is the worst thing going for that car! seriosly just sounds like a random car, if anything a YARIS has a better sound stock then a stock 997TT.

The LP640 i think is an awesome car but need a deeper sound to suit the car, but the stock sound is amazing but i think it needs more for that car.

no not that, the notes it plays are alright, the problem i see is that its more of a whirring sound then a "thud thud thud" like a engine, its too distorted, usually this happens when either a section of the tailpipe is too large in comparison to the primary runners of the headers, or because of the muffler design scatters the sound excessively

too many super deep sounding cars already, I mean their cool every once in awile, but Audis high revving V8 sounds like a poorly muffled pig iron (i have ridden in a new RS4, good car otherwise), all of merc AMG engines sound deep (besides the Zonda) but not distinctive enough to remind one of thunder or really get any emotions going,

deep exhaust alone doesn't cure any problems, if this was the case ricers would be awesome

Last edited: