Your worst traffic annoyances

Big 4wds who park next to me in 45 degree angled carparks so I can't see shit when backing out.

I agree with all. And here's one more.

I hate tall vehicles... Trucks, SUVs but most of all Vans. They drive in front of you, and you can't see what's going on ahead. the only indication of an imminent need to brake is the brake lights of the van in front. you can't see if a car is braking up ahead in the line, or if a red light is coming up, or if someone is about to run into the road.

Trucks? actually not so bad, they at least have a reason for being so large - but SUVs? It's simply obnoxious, they drive an SUV as a penis-prosthesis, or because they think they are safer, but all they're doing is inconveniencing other people. Such as me. But for some reason worst of all are vans for me. Sure, they have some reason to be large (at least when they're transporting stuff). But van drivers are much crazier than truck drivers. And what often happens is, I'll be driving along at... ~121kmh down the autobahn, in the slow lane, or possibly the middle lane, just chilling. When the van behind me decides, "121 isnt fast enough", and then proceeds to pass me at 123kmh... and then pulls in in front of me. And then slows back down to 121 because he's probably masturbating, or on the phone, or reading the newspaper, or whatever. And so my range of sight is down to 50 meters. I DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE DRIVING 120 AND ONLY BEING ABLE TO SEE 50 METERS!!! If you're a van driver, and you're going to pass me - do it properly. Or not at all.
I rear ended someone because they were a giant ass thing that suddenly slammed on the breaks when i couldn't see in front of them. Pisses me the hell off. If they had been a normal sized vehicle I could could of seen the traffic in front of them.

The worst drivers in my opinion are the indecisive drivers who are scared of driving. They drive slowly and are extremely slow in lane changes and such. This is VERY dangerous since it is impossible to predict what they are going to do next since even they dont know what they are doing. I simply hate these types and they seriously need to get off the damn road. Heck, i much prefer agrssive drivers who cut me off since at least they know where they are going. I actually dont mind people who cut me off as long as they dont block my way after they cut me off.

I Agree 100%

but, i understand where it comes from. i once saw an american news report on the internet that talked about a guy in mercedes who was driving "at an estimated 90 miles an hour". Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but this is american "journalism" at it's best, spreading fear, uncertainty, doubt, because that's what pays their salary.

I somewhat understand that a lot of non pretrolheads get scared by the car, that said, allthough i understand it, on the road i don't tolerate it. If you're not confident you can't be a good driver, it's that simple. And just because you change lanes quickly youre not a maniac either.

Something else that really get's me going, when people critisise my driving style (i can't stress enough how annoying that is). If you want a lift, shut it. That said, i don't mind people smoking, drinking, singing and dancing in my car, as long as they wear their seat belts.

imagine this: your driving through the alps on those wonderful tight roads, and the other way comes some bloke in his M3, driving fast. If he's going to crash into me, which is unlikely, he is going to do that, no matter what - there is no space to get out of the way. The last thing i need is a passenger shouting at me "OH MY GOD LOOK OUT!!!"

i was driven by someone a couple of month ago and we nearly had a big accident, it was really close, and i didnt say a bloody word. I hate passengers who think they have something to do with driving the car.

Big 4wds who park next to me in 45 degree angled carparks so I can't see shit when backing out.

QFT. oh, my, freakin, god that's irritating. especially when a-holes love to fly through the lot at 35 mph just to beat the minivan to 'the spot' so their fat-ass doesn't have to walk an extra couple meters, just makes the issue 10x worse.

and katwalk, I'm not trying to be a dick (it just comes natural), but if you slammed into the SUV because you couldn't see around him (an obvious problem, I sympathize with that totally) then you were following too closely.

family.jpg

A couple of the above posters mentioned tailgating.

I WILL tailgate you if you are going too slow on the left lane and the middle and right lanes are open. Too slow is completely my definition, not the posted speed. You will get a light flash, then I will close upon your bumper if you do not move at the earliest opportunity. I don't do it often: most people get it, or the traffic density is too high to expect a higher rate of travel. I keep a safe distance in all other circumstances.

Likewise, if you are faster than me in the left lane, I will yield the lane to you as soon as it is safe to do so.

+1 to you for being able to say what I have been trying, so that everybody can understand it :p

Left lane hoggers = The self proclaimed policemen. I really do go mental whenever I see somenone deliberately hogging the left lane because I want to go faster and it jsut doesn't fit to their picture of the perfect little shitty world they live in.

^^ I have that problem as well. If you're going the speed limit and there is no place, FINE, as long as you;re going faster than the middle lane. But if the lane traffic on the others are spotty and not enough for an overtake, but enough for moving, get out of the way. I admit to going 10-15kmh over the limit, but there are people who go 80 in a 100 highway and they just annoy me with their really old cars trying to get up to cruising speed in everyones way.

We also have another bad problem in that an indicator gives them the license to take a turn no matter what's coming. I've had 3 incidents like that this month alone.

My No.1 annoyance is people who don't know how to merge or can't read signs telling them that they're lane is ending. They leave it to the very last minute everytime and I nearly end up drilling the back of some little shitbox (ever tried making 2.8tonns stop really fast?). Also because I drive a diesel, I leave plenty of space for the person in front of me to jump into my lane because I can't accelerate...and the silly buggers still leave it to the last minute to come over thereby making me look like an arse for holding up my lane of traffic and making the person next to me angry because he then has to stop and wait for a gap so he can get over. Oh, and if I speed up and cut the person im trying to let in off because im sick of waiting, I get showered in a torrent of abuse, horns and high beams (the latter only applicable to other 4bys and trucks, but i dare not carve up a truck).

They leave it to the very last minute everytime and I nearly end up drilling the back of some little shitbox

Waiting until the last moment to merge lanes seems to be a problem only when people don't realise that it's the better way to do it, if everyone would understand that it's much better, and act accordingly, it would work brilliantly.

But as countries are split on policies, we seem to be split on opinions when it comes to merging lanes. :)

Waiting until the last moment to merge lanes seems to be a problem only when people don't realise that it's the better way to do it, if everyone would understand that it's much better, and act accordingly, it would work brilliantly.

But as countries are split on policies, we seem to be split on opinions when it comes to merging lanes. :)
if people use them properly, they would work correctly. adjust your speed and timing that way when you get to the end you can just slide into traffic. Too many fools just get to the end and stop like they're turning left at a four-way stop.

I never in my life saw someone running a red light. I guess it's a german thing, but people don't do that over here.

Sadly it's all too common an occurrence here. Two days ago there was a double-fatality in my suburb caused by someone running a red.

It's scary how often I see red lights getting run - yet all we ever hear from the Police / Government is 'Speed Kills'. *sigh*

The problem with lane merging seems to be that, if you don't have a proper policy, people pull in when they want and that causes some drivers to have to slow down twice or more, whereas with the german method, people only have to slow down once, which loweres the rate of braking by any given car which in turn increases the overall rate of traffic flow.

as for pulling in harsh, again, if the concept of letting people in one by one would be accepted, that wouldnt be a problem because you could then anticipate the situation properly (which is really what road safety is all about)

@fbc
"Two days ago there was a double-fatality in my suburb caused by someone running a red."
i'm sorry, but i have no understanding of why someone would do that. The chance of dying from a bungee jumping accident are almost nil, and yet people are scared as hell and most will never do it. Whether you have a crash or not when running a red light is just a matter of time, you're going to, and yet some people risk their health to save a minute. just stupid. Even though, of course, none of those people "deserve" to die or be injured.

oh and by the way, campaigns saying "speed kills" (or anything like that), i think you'll agree, don't work.

edit: here's a clip from "top gears german rivals", regarding women on petrol stations. i think you'll get it even if you don't understand a word:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYjhGOp02Nw

Last edited:
@fbc
"Two days ago there was a double-fatality in my suburb caused by someone running a red."
i'm sorry, but i have no understanding of why someone would do that. The chance of dying from a bungee jumping accident are almost nil, and yet people are scared as hell and most will never do it. Whether you have a crash or not when running a red light is just a matter of time, you're going to, and yet some people risk their health to save a minute. just stupid. Even though, of course, none of those people "deserve" to die or be injured.

oh and by the way, campaigns saying "speed kills" (or anything like that), i think you'll agree, don't work.

All I can put it down to is some people feel invincible in their car, that plus perhaps being in a rush leads to some very poor decisions. In this case, the guy who ran the red light was only slightly injured (he's been charged by the Police of course) - the two people killed were in the car he struck.

I've neatly divided the asshats I hate into groups :

1) the sympathy braker. This one is just driving around leisurely on any road, but as soon as he/she sees anyone anywhere braking, slams on the brakes and drops the speed by atleast 40 kph. Then, realising nothing is wrong, he/she happily accelerates to the same speed as before, until someone else brakes, when the whole thing repeats itself

2) people with commitment issues. I think everyone knows atleast 1 person who does this. These people are usually to be found either with one wheel on an interrupted line for kms on end, or just completely inbetween 2 lanes. They also have a habit of choosing a place to merge in that is half the size of their car. Then they creep to the right, stay there, go back to the middle of the lane, wait, creep back, brake a bit, creep some more, get scared, go back to the middle of the lane, etc.
By the time they eventually get to the exit they want to take they are so scared of missing it they just cram their car in any gap they see, causing everyone behind them to slam on the brakes and crash into each other

3) 3-legged people. These are the ones that have an extra foot just so they can tap the brake pedal every 10 or so seconds. This is because the car infront of them is driving 2 kph slower than they are, and they have to adjust their speed by braking, of course. Especially very dangerous when combined with a sympathy braker.

4) multitaskers. The only kind of people who think they can light a cigarette, play with the radio buttons, wind down the window, and talk on the phone while shifting in the middle of a corner. They usually dont notice the fact that their driving on the wrong side of the road or other trivial things, such as the lights that changed to green back in 2000.

5) the blind man : yes, that car who is an inch behind you wants to get by so let him. The left indicator and big lights suggest you to get out of the way, instead of keep to the left lane for another 100 kms at 100 kph.

6) The claustrophopic : The kind of driver who medically needs atleast 3 or 4 car's lenghts ahead and behind just to be on the safe side. Of course this means that people will merge in infront of them, causing them to slam on the brakes, until they notice the car behind is approaching, at which point the accelerate like mad again. Driving behind one of these guys is suicidal.
The fun part is they need the same amount of space when they change lanes, which means they spend all of their life in the middle lane, at 80 kph, with their indicator on, never daring to actually change lanes.

7) the undercover cop : these are the ones who will drive at exactly 120 kph on the motorway, and when they see you passing them they swerve quickly (and without indicating) to the left lane, just to stop you from overtaking. Their logic is "you cant go quicker so dont bother". They feel it is their duty to remind you of the speed limit. this is one of them I hate the most. Mostly performed by Dutchmen in my experience

8) the "I can overtake wherever I damn want" : I plead guilty to this, but some people overdo it. Its the guy who drives through massively congested traffic changing lanes every 3 seconds because that line is moving quicker. they also drive on everyone's ass while looking in the mirrors for a spot to change lanes.

The winner) People speeding
"What?" i hear you say, but stay with me on this one. I don't care about someone doing 70km/h on a big empty road in town, or the rep in his benz doing 250kph on the derestricted bits of the autobahn. What i'm talking about is reckless speeding, particulary in rubbish cars, on tiny roads. Even though i get that a lot, i'm glad i havent yet had to watch someone "learn from his mistake". Just a matter of time though. Another thing that bugs me about speeding is, when you have to follow someone and he's just the tyniest bit above the speed at which you loose your license when cought. Saturday night, when there's policemen with laser guns on every corner.
Totally agree with most but this one especially. I yelled at my friend for driving too fast when I had to follow him. Especially considering that it was an unfamiliar city course it was very difficult to stick to his tail.

I get overtaken going 30mph over the limit all the time and it's almost always either an SUV or some car that wasn't really designed for it (like a Camry or Civic). There is also the retards who like switching lanes in heavy traffic for no reason and pull out right in front of you. In fact I had someone pull out into my lane in front of me from a faster moving lane.

Guess what, bicyclists also have something they hate about traffic. (Not all of it, I am a car fan :p)

1. Red light crossers - I see this a lot, and I almost got run over once because of it. Goddamn it, if you'd wait for a couple of minutes you'll not die!

2. Hidden parking entrances - I'm sure most of the carless people here would agree. There are some parking entrances which are hidden by stuff such as trees or concrete, and you can only see it's there from a certain angle (like an LCD screen's maximum viewing angle). That's veeery annoying.

3. People who park on the pavement - I don't mean the proper half-tarmac, half pavement parking where it should be, but the guys who think they own that bit of pavement and park on it. Like, really ON it. Usually I like to kick the cars in question, or fold their side mirrors with as much force as I can gather while on bicycle.

Usually I like to kick the cars in question, or fold their side mirrors with as much force as I can gather while on bicycle.

So you deliberatelly want to damage someone else's car ?? Guess what, I just got a new entry on my list....

Yes, as much as I also hate these people who think they can park anywhere, I still won't touch their cars. A matter of principal. Now if you do insist on kicking someones door in etc. I hope you atleast leave your info so the owner of the car can a) whoop your ass or b) get it straight with his and your insurance company, AND the police.

Something else that really get's me going, when people critisise my driving style (i can't stress enough how annoying that is). If you want a lift, shut it. That said, i don't mind people smoking, drinking, singing and dancing in my car, as long as they wear their seat belts.

imagine this: your driving through the alps on those wonderful tight roads, and the other way comes some bloke in his M3, driving fast. If he's going to crash into me, which is unlikely, he is going to do that, no matter what - there is no space to get out of the way. The last thing i need is a passenger shouting at me "OH MY GOD LOOK OUT!!!"

i was driven by someone a couple of month ago and we nearly had a big accident, it was really close, and i didnt say a bloody word. I hate passengers who think they have something to do with driving the car.
+10000 though you can't smoke or eat in my car unless you are willing to foot the bill for cleaning it. Another thing that pisses me right off is bicyclists in the city. They run red lights all the time, they take up way too much space (WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD YOU TAKE UP LIKE A FOOT OF SPACE!!!!) they are just speedbumps. Even worse is their attitude, most of the time they think (and act) like they are better than you for riding a bicycle and not "polluting".

I had an incident where I was going around a car making a left turn at night and all of a sudden I heard someone shouting "hey hey hey" from the right side. Aparently there was a guy on a bicycle, no lights, no reflectives NOT A DAMN THING that let me see it. Then he had the audacity to yell at me. Yes he was in a bike lane but here is a simple truth I have a car you have a bicycle I WILL win that particular accident because you will be dead.

Usually I like to kick the cars in question, or fold their side mirrors with as much force as I can gather while on bicycle.
I'm not a big fan of that sort of stuff.

http://img369.imageshack.**/img369/6412/pict0001largesh3lv6.jpg

If I find out who did that to my car...

And no, I've never parked on a pavement before.

3. People who park on the pavement - I don't mean the proper half-tarmac, half pavement parking where it should be, but the guys who think they own that bit of pavement and park on it. Like, really ON it. Usually I like to kick the cars in question, or fold their side mirrors with as much force as I can gather while on bicycle.

As much as it may piss you off, it doesn't justify damaging someone else's property - that's plain vandalism.