Ownership Verified: Yuppiemobile part 2: 1993 Saab 900i 2.1-16

Any of the original Alfa Romeo Spider and Porsche 924.

Isn't that great? I've consistently surprised people with how much a Saab hatch with folded-down seats can carry. Annoyingly my Aero rear seats don't fold flat, but that's the tradeoff for having Recaros front and rear.

So I bought new brake pads as the previous owner mentioned they should probably be changed, and peering through the tiny holes in the steelies I seemed to confirm that. Being as busy as I have, only today I have had time to actually pull the wheels off. And I discovered that the pads were probably changed not long ago...

Trying to see if I can still return them. Oh well, I still used the opportunity to clean up the steelies. They look much better returned to their original black.

I'll trade you some rusty photos for rusty photos of mine. :p

How about your doorbottoms?

Door bottoms are fine on mine, the one place where there is no rust. :p

However, the bootlid is another story.
On the outside, only the beginning.

I forgot to get a photo of the inside of the bootlid where the serious rust is, there's a maybe 10cm hole rusted through just below the rear window.

Then there's a few little spots like this here and there. These ones are probably the worst of the more minor spots.

So, while this car has never encountered a salted road, it did live its entire life within a stones throw of the sea and the resulting salty air.

I also finished cleaning the rear wheels today, and then rotated the tyres. They're cheap no-name tyres (Gemstone something or other, the font is made to look like Bridgestone) but they seem to work okay for the big old FWD boat the Saab is. We've had torrential rain the past few days and they have been fine in the wet too. They start to lose grip pretty stunningly once they do go, but you have to be pushing a lot harder than the car (with its rolly-polly suspension and soft, unsupportive seats) encourages you to in order to reach that point.

Last edited:
Are you going to cut out and repair the corrosion?

The worst of it, which is in the bootlid, is that far gone that it would be far more expedient to simply get another from a wreckers. Which is what I intend to do.

The rest... meh, it's not too bad. Still passes roadworthy.

This is one awesome car! :)

So yeah, first of all: the driver door is fine.

SzfdvgI.jpg

acuFUo5.jpg

Passenger door isn't.

qutSWOZ.jpg

But the rocker is alright.

6RBlRy9.jpg

Both rear doors are like this. Hatch doesn't really need anything done. I'm planning to get the door bottoms done at some point, but they're not really advancing.

It says something about the rest of the car when rust like this isn't a dealbreaker for me.

I'm glad we never have to deal with road salt here. My bottom is corrosion free. Are the door bottoms the only rust on yours?

If the weather holds today it might get the clay and polish it has been waiting for.

The underbody is solid, no visible rust anywhere on the car really with the doors closed. The CV tunnels might need some attention in the future, but I keep the car salt-free these days, as has the previous owner for his four-year tenure.