Ownership Verified: Yuppiemobile part 2: 1993 Saab 900i 2.1-16

I have a prospective buyer who seems pretty keen coming to look at the car on Sunday. He's practically said he intends to drive it home, so it needs to be ready by then.

I still haven't wired the hatch up, or adjusted the lock, or even put the number plate back on. My schedule doesn't allow for this folly. So on Saturday I'm bribing my mechanic mate to lend me his workshop, and it will be a short marathon of repairs. Soldering the two harnesses together shouldn't be too hard, neither should adjusting the lock. But then I have to patch up some rust, wash it, probably flush the gearbox and get it looking nice for its future family.

I like this car, and I'm going to miss it, but unfortunately it's been a stressful journey that at this stage in my life, I don't have time or patience or money for.

Hopefully on Saturday afternoon I can take it for a nice drive and do a bit of a photo shoot, say my farewells and all.

Last edited:
I'd like to... believe me :p

Honestly, selling everything and economising for a while by running a cheap car (i.e. your Fairmont) wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. I like the idea of being able to buy parts off the shelf at Repco for a change :lol:

I'd like to keep it, but paying two registrations and insurance policies is not really within my means at this time. Hell, it's not really a sensible thing to do even if you made double or triple what I do.

I'd like to... believe me :p

Honestly, selling everything and economising for a while by running a cheap car (i.e. your Fairmont) wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. I like the idea of being able to buy parts off the shelf at Repco for a change :lol:

The best part about the fairmont (for me at least) is that bar standard servicing items I've never needed to buy anything for it anyway. It's been bulletproof.

In half an hour, this saga may be at an end. It's a sad moment.

Let's see if he actually buys the thing :lol:

Bye bye Baksby. I'm sad to see it go.

My wheeler dealing fell down on this one, I didn't make a profit. But neither did I lose much money - you win some you lose some. But look at it another way, I doubled what I handed over for it in August last year.

I'm happy with who it went to. You know when your car goes to a good home. I didn't feel that with the BMW, and my fears were realised. But this time, I'm pleased. A family of Saab enthusiasts all came down to see the car, and they bought it for their son. They looked past the little foibles which someone who didn't care for the cars would probably call dealbreakers, because they saw what was underneath - a solid and mechanically sound 900.

It's joining a white 900 convertible and another green CombiCoupe in the family garage. So while I'm sad to say goodbye, I'm happy that I know it's going to get the treatment it deserves.

Some parting photographs: