Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Big Star, Small Car segment this season?

No Big Star, Small Car segment this season?

Has anyone else noticed that I don't think there has been a Big Star, Small Car segment this season. Did they stop doing that segment? Not popular enough to get any stars on?

Car(s)
    '10 RX-8 R3, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
    It seems like they have eliminated the studio altogether. Can't say I miss it in this format, though I would sorely miss the studio on the British one.

MWF
    His previously worked fine... MWF's Avatar
    Car(s)
    MX-5 1.8i Phoenix SE, BMW 330D SE Touring
    Can't say I miss it. I like TG US but they don't have the same dynamic as the British trio that allows them to riff off each other in the News and none of them is a natural interviewer whereas at least Clarkson had a short-lived chat show so he has a vague idea of what he is doing. Hopefully they'll still use a Stig for the odd film.

Dr Grip: Brilliant!

EyeMWing Because what fun is a silicone dick if you don't try putting it in somebody's backside at least once.

Jay IKEA now ranks up in my awesome list, quite near bacon and blowjobs.

Cowboy I've never gotten so drunk I wanted to rub one out while shoving a fire extinguisher up my ass.

Remind me never to have him round to dinner!

I can't confirm it because I don't have a link (one of the three presenters tweeted it I think), but I'm pretty sure the studio segments, as well as Big Star Small Car, will be back during the second portion of the season, which is eight episodes.

Car(s)
    2002 MX-5 SE, 2013 Focus ST3.
    I don't like BSSC so I don't miss it, but I really don't care for SIARPC on the original show either.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -Isaac Asimov

Car(s)
    2006 Toyota Corolla Xrs (a 4-door Lotus)
    Don't see a reason why they would drop Big Star, Small Car. What celebrity wouldn't want to be on a show where they make small talk, talk about their cars, and tool around in a $15,000 Suzuki hatch for a few laps? I think it appeals more to celebrities who enjoy interviews in a relax environment and promote whatever projects they have to broader audience.

Besides, I've seen bigger stars on lesser shows than this.
    Last edited by Initial_B; September 13th, 2012 at 4:28 AM.

2006 Toyota Corolla Xrs a.k.a "X"

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    2008 Dodge Viper, 2001 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by thevictor390 View Post
    It seems like they have eliminated the studio altogether. Can't say I miss it in this format, though I would sorely miss the studio on the British one.
    +1. I don't miss it in the slightest from the US format.
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Car(s)
    2x-'93 Nissan 240sx V/C, '03 Infiniti G35 C
    As mentioned above, believe it will be back later on this season. First 6 episodes are non-studio.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I can't confirm it because I don't have a link (one of the three presenters tweeted it I think), but I'm pretty sure the studio segments, as well as Big Star Small Car, will be back during the second portion of the season, which is eight episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggie View Post
    As mentioned above, believe it will be back later on this season. First 6 episodes are non-studio.
    Yeah, I think Adam or Rutledge tweeted something to that effect ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind_Io
    Comic Sans is the font of Satan.

Big Star Small Car never worked for me but I only watch 1 in 5 of the UK ones and Clarkson does a great interview. If it were me... I think I would take BSSC and use it for a season end studio episode. Or maybe replace it with something more uniquely american (out run a cop in a crown vic). With the short episode (may they kill %80 of the recap) BSSC and the studio bits break the flow a little to much for me. Even if they were to do 2 special episodes each season that were 'round the track' and 'BSSC' with maybe a review it would work better for me.

Not sure that the studio needs to be part of TGUS... part of me thinks they can do away with the studio entirely and leave a unique show.

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas! NooDle's Avatar
    Car(s)
    Citroën C1 Exclusive
    Seems like it's a combination of a challenge and then the winner gets to (or the loser HAS to) drive something cool and or not cool. Definitely an improvement

Thank god it's gone... it was agonizingly awful

Car(s)
    Mazda Rx-8
    Don't miss it at all, I fast forward through it on the UK version with the exception of Leno, I can't stand celebrities anyway, not having them ruin a show I adore is a big party bonus.

Car(s)
    Audi A5, Ducati M796
    I don't miss the studio segments, although I would like them to incorporate Stig into some of the films. My feeling is that the pacing of the show was greatly improved by removing the studio bits, especially as the effective running time is shorter for TGUS compared to TGUK due commercial breaks and the classic US TV recaps of what happened 5 minutes ago. The film segments don't feel as rushed now.

Overall, I've been enjoying the latest season of TGUS a lot. The show feels fresh, there were quite a few great original ideas and even the ones borrowed from UK managed to stay interesting.

Glad they ditched it. Works fine on the original Top Gear but even then it's often one of the weakest segments.

puffalump? inquire here! ninjacoco's Avatar
    Car(s)
    '10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944
    I hated the rename. Seriously? Did they think we couldn't pronounce "reasonably?" Bollocks.

So, nothing was really lost. Maybe if they had a less...autocrossy? looking track? Heh.

More Stig would be win, though. Just sayin'.

Ever feel like throwing your hard-earned cash into a wood chipper? Well, then--you should give Team Porschelump money!
    ...- --- .-. ... .--. .-. ..- -. --. / -.. ..- .-. -.-. .... / .--. ..- ..-. ..-. .- .-.. ..- -- .--. .-.-.- /

Car(s)
    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjacoco View Post
    I hated the rename. Seriously? Did they think we couldn't pronounce "reasonably?" Bollocks.
    So you probably felt the same way about "Star In A Bog-Standard Car" too.

BMW: built by Germans, driven by tossers. - Jeremy Clarkson

The world's biggest dick can be found on a blue whale. And I thought it was on Top Gear. - Sarah Millican

Your comments tonight have been described variously as "rabid", "pig-ignorant", and "stutifyingly ill-informed" - Chris Morris, apparently anticipating Jalopnik

Car(s)
    Camaro Z28, Volvo S60 T5, Volvo S80 T6, ATI ProCha
    The big problem for me is/was...Where is the big star, shouldn't it be D list in a small car ?

Car(s)
    Falcon
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjacoco View Post
    probably thought it was 'too wordy' for american audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by thud View Post
    The big problem for me is/was...Where is the big star, shouldn't it be D list in a small car ?
    I don't know how many episodes they've introduced their star and i respond with 'who?'

Car(s)
    Audi A3 1.8t
    I think the biggest problem with big star small car is that if you were really a big star you would go on the real Top Gear, the 3 USA guys aren't very good at interviews either really though Tanner never did an interview so it's hard to judge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information