Bugatti Killer by Porsche?

Mally Dangerous

111888_ppr.jpg

Porsche Plans 950hp Bugatti-Buster
Written by: Autocar staff London, UK ? 7/6/2006

Porsche is poised to burst Bugatti?s bubble when it rolls out the fastest road car in the world in 2009 ? and Autocar magazine has revealed how it expects it to look.

This radical supercar is expected to be dubbed GT1, and will be a 950hp, road-legal version of Porsche?s future Le Mans challenger. According to insiders, the target top speed is 254mph ? a crucial 2mph faster than the claimed top speed of the 987hp Bugatti Veyron.

The core of the new car is the Carrera GT?s carbon fiber chassis, fitted with modified nose and tail structures. The interior is also based closely on the Carrera?s distinctive dashboard and center console.

Autocar?s exclusive illustration is drawn entirely from leaked official technical drawings of the car. Sources have also revealed that full-bore 950hp engines are under test, as well as work on weight distribution and aerodynamics, both of which will differ from the competition versions of the car.

One thing that?s not clear at this stage is how the massive slug of power will be delivered. One suggestion is that it would have to come from a turbocharged version of the Carrera GT?s V10 engine. However, other motorsport sources say it will be powered by an enlarged, twin-turbo, 5.5-liter version of the Cayenne?s V8.

In fact, Porsche is already racing a 600hp, normally aspirated V8 engine in the American Le Mans series with the Penske-prepared RS Spyder, and it?s expected to be adopted by Porsche?s own European Le Mans racer. However, Le Mans racers will switch to the closed-coupe format from 2010.
-Hilton Holloway /Autocar
Original Article

Hmmm Porsche playing the meaningless "oooh look, mine's bigger than yours" top speed game? No, they're above that.

I'm with FBC on this one i am sure they will release some mad road going version of their LeMans car but doubt they will do the whole "make it go 2 mph faster then the Veyron" thing. doesn't seem like the porsche thing to do.... 9FF on the other hand they would definitly do it and I look forward to their attempt

tf

sandor_ said:
but there already IS a GT1, and it was already made into a road-legal car (for racing purposes)

There was a GT1 - this car (if it happens...) is a new GT1. Strange that the article didn't mention the original GT1 though.

Porsche may be able to make a faster car but my question is will it be on the same all-around level as the Veyron? Meaning will it have the fit and finish and the luxury of the Veyron? Time will tell.

fbc said:
sandor_ said:
but there already IS a GT1, and it was already made into a road-legal car (for racing purposes)

There was a GT1 - this car (if it happens...) is a new GT1. Strange that the article didn't mention the original GT1 though.

just because it is out of production doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

sandor_ said:
fbc said:
sandor_ said:

No, but you're talking as if it's existance is being denied, or as if for some reason they can't make a new GT1 because they've already made one in the past.

fbc said:
sandor_ said:
fbc said:
sandor_ said:

No, but you're talking as if it's existance is being denied, or as if for some reason they can't make a new GT1 because they've already made one in the past.

no, more that i found that this article, almost word for word, could have appeared in an auto magazine in 1995. GT1, road legal race car, LeMans, etc. it seems to be written (in my interpretation) with an air of disbelieve that porsche would do something like this.

oh, and ignore the picture of the new GT1, apparently it as drawn by an Autocar staffer, not porsche...?

besides, Porsche wouldn't keep the record for long, because if rumors are true, Veyrons big brother, 1200bhp+ Veyron GT would re-claim the record if it will be produced.

fbc said:
Hmmm Porsche playing the meaningless "oooh look, mine's bigger than yours" top speed game? No, they're above that.

I agree. I don't see Porsche being that petty... I do hope they make a newer GT though :thumbsup:

sandor_ and fbc, the earlier one was 911 GT1 where as this seems to be just GT1 so it's not really taking the older one's name.

And oh, i hope it won't look like a cgt with a bodykit like in that chop.

Leonidae said:
besides, Porsche wouldn't keep the record for long, because if rumors are true, Veyrons big brother, 1200bhp+ Veyron GT would re-claim the record if it will be produced.

Well since today they would be able to hold the record as long as they want to (Given that they establish it first of course) :roll: Porsche now owns 25.1% of VW and is therefore the biggest shareholder.
This concept seems nice, but I havent heard anything else about it yet.