New driving system allows paraplegics to drive manual-shift

Mischief007

Car(s)
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 04 VW Jetta GLS
July 13, 2006

New driving system allows paraplegics to drive manual-shift cars

Santa Monica, California - A new system developed by RediAuto Sport allows paraplegic drivers to operate manual-shift vehicles using hand controls.

The system consists of an accelerator ring mounted to the steering wheel, a lever on the stick shift to control the clutch, and a leather-covered brake lever to replace a push/pull control. For more information, visit www.rediautosport.com.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060713-4.htm
www.rediautosport.com

Amazing system. This is when technology does a good thing.

Sounds really complex just to be able to drive manuals i have borrowed a 206 with hand controls a few times and there was just a levre for speed and a lever for breaking. That manual system is a accident waiting to happen!

I went to their website and it doesn't sound too complicated at all.
Left hand:
- accelerate the car
- steer the car

Right hand
- brake
- operate the clutch
- change gears

I'd like to test it myself to see if it is complicated.

I'm really impressed, all the hand controlls I have seen before are big chunky mechanical levers that look horrible. This system not only allows disabled drivers to drive the car they want but it actually looks pretty good.

It doesn't sound much more complicated than driving a motorcycle, you just have to fight that muscle memory you have developed with conventional controlls.

Seems like a lotta work. I think the old automatic version is better.

I misread the title and thought it said quadraplegics. I was thinking "mind-control in cars, coooooooolllllll".
Isn't this the same sort of setup Alex Zanardi has in his touring car?

peter3hg2 said:
I misread the title and thought it said quadraplegics. I was thinking "mind-control in cars, coooooooolllllll".
Isn't this the same sort of setup Alex Zanardi has in his touring car?
RediAuto Sport said:
Engineered and manufactured in Italy, these products are used by disabled race
drivers, such as Alessandro Zinardi in his team BMW.
Yup. :)

For everyone who says the automatic transmission version would be better, you're missing the point. This system was designed to allow paraplegics to enjoy a spirited drive with a manual transmission, just like any other petrol head would. I think it's an amazing system, especially how well it blends with the rest of the car. I know a paraplegic at my uni, and like Blind_Io said, his car has a huge, ugly, complicated-looking lever to operate the gas and brake. This system looks much classier.

Great system - you'd pick up the knack of operating it in no time. The only downside is you can't downshift and brake at the same time, but I suppose there's only so much that's physically possible.

RediAuto Sport said:
These RediShifts expand the world of driving to include cars that were simply inconceiveable before. This include cars from Lotus, Ford GTs, older model Ferraris and Porsches, to name a few.
:thumbsup:

Good to see that just because you're disabled doesn't mean you can't enjoy driving anymore. Also, Alex Zanardi is my hero.