Rumor: BMW Z2

vexor

Car(s)
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
1-jul13-bild.jpg

Computer generated image

The cover of the latest issue of Germany's AutoBild magazine features an artist's illustration of the forthcoming BMW Z2. While we don't have specific details on the rumor, the Z2 appears to be a small roadster slotted beneath the Z4 range. In May, AutoWeek and AutoCar reported BMW was working on a new roadster called the Z2, in addition to the much-rumored Z6. While it's almost certain a smaller roadster is under consideration at BMW, we suspect it may receive a name other than Z2. As previously noted by Leftlane News, BMW published the names Z1 and Z5 for opposition at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on January 17, 2006. Regardless of its name, the new roadster looks like it will introduce some new styling cues to BMW's design language, including some unusual 3D headlamps. Update: Auto Zeitung is also reporting in its latest issue that BMW is planning a Z2 for the 2009 model year. However, the report suggests a coupe model will also be offered.

That concept artist clearly has the new TT on his mind.

They already have a sub-Z4 convertible though: the Mini Cabrio, and yes I know it's FWD and 4-seat, but BMW going downmarket is not to be done lightly. A new Z1 with those slide-up doors would be pretty sweet though.

Damn you Labcoatguy! That was the first thing I thought as well, "Oh look, and Audi with a BMW badge."

First BMW concept/photoshop/rumour car for a LONG time that I actually like to look at...

The article doesn't mention if the Z2 sits on the Z4 platform but I think that a smaller chassis will really make this car a handfull. I'm sure it'll have lots of grip and very direct steering but go over the line and I bet this car will bite your ass off.

Kebab gud said:
why? ... whouldnt it compeet with the rumord Triumph that BMW is making?

Does this rumor even exist & if so, what (where) are the details? The return of a storied British marque could be an ideal way for BMW to go after a "down market".

I like the idea....now let's see the actual car.

possible MX-5 killer? give a small light chassis the power it deserves...

I'm just imagining that with the new twin-turbo 3.0 engine from the 335 Coup? :mrgreen:

Hmmm, as it is worded the rumor is not promising. The Mini should stay just Mini...period. Now, if BMW could make inexpensive FR roadsters (even off the Mini chassis) then that could be good business. That way, BMW can move downmarket and capture more market share without damaging the BMW brand.

IMOHO, let the current 1-Series run it's product life and plan a replacement with the Triumph badge to go with the new model based on the Mini chassis. I see this as completely doable if they avoid any Triumph badged FF roadster of any kind.

Yup, look at my Bayerische Motor-Trek : The Next Generation topic. It has computer pictures of lots of future BMW/Mercedes/Audi/VW models.

I guess that makes me a bit weird, because i quite like them. :p