Hybrid Mini

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2006/07/electric-powered-mini-qed-concept-with.html

This was an independent project to make an electic mini. The figures for it are pretty good, but nothing about cornering with all that weight.

My biggest problem is this: if they were going for zero emissions (presumably for environmental reasons) why mount a 2 stroke motor to recharge the batteries?

First of all 2 strokes are the dirtiest of all internal combustion engines, and you have to mix oil with the fuel which is inconvinient. Why not use a small 4 stroke motor?

EDIT:
The article contradicts itself, at the top it says it's a 2-stroke motor but lower down it says it's a 2 cyl 4 stroke. I think this second option is more likely, since 250cc 4 stroke motors are common in scooters and small motorcycles.

No mechanical brakes seems silly. If you don't have them, then you have to apply a negative current that that requires wasting electricity.

I think it may use regenerative brakes.
From wiki
braking is accomplished by switching motors to act as generators that convert motion into electricity instead of electricity into motion, but in the earlier systems the electrical power was dissipated through banks of resistors rather than being stored for future use. This means the system was no more efficient than conventional friction brakes, but it reduced the use of contact elements like brake pads, which eventually wear out.

I know, that's how hybrids work, but generators can only provide so much resistance, correct?

Viper007Bond said:
I know, that's how hybrids work, but generators can only provide so much resistance, correct?

You'd be suprised just how much braking is available. Beyond that if you need to stop the wheels you can still apply the current as you say, but it'll more likely lock the wheels up than actually stop the vehicle.

FYI for the past 30+ years companies such as Piaggio have had oil-injected two-stroke engines, where there are 2 separate tanks, one for oil and one for gasoline, and no messy mixing is needed.