Breaking News: H2s fall apart, water still wet.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
The article requires registration, so here it is.

Now there are a few problems with this article, like implying that the H2 is in any way related to the Humvee military truck.

A wheel fell off a Hummer H2 being test-driven by Bee auto editor Mark Glover in 2002. Sacramento Bee file, 2002/Jay Mather

See additional images

Iris Ziroli's new beast seemed invincible: It could haul a trailer with 6,700 pounds of cargo, climb slopes at a 60-degree angle and zoom through water 20 inches deep without flinching. Or at least, that's what the pamphlets from her Southern California Hummer dealer promised.

That's why the Murrieta real estate agent was so bewildered when the front end of her pewter-colored Hummer H2 sport-utility vehicle collapsed in February 2004, not during a wild off-road trek, but after she bumped a post in a Carl's Jr. drive-through.

When it hit the ground, the undercarriage of her vehicle screeched almost as loudly as her 6-month-old daughter riding in a car seat.

"I thought I was so safe because the H2 is so huge and strong," Ziroli said. "The way that Hummer fell apart in that drive-through was uncalled for."

Two years later, federal highway safety investigators are reviewing Ziroli's case and 25 complaints like it about Hummer H2s, according to government documents. Their review includes 20 cases involving 2003 model year vehicles, like Ziroli's.

Engineers at the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration are studying how a part called a steering knuckle fractured or failed in the incidents, causing H2 suspensions to collapse or their wheels to separate.

General Motors denies there is a safety problem with the metal part, which holds the steering arms in place near the front tires. It says that knuckle-related collapses and wheel separation incidents are a consequence -- not a cause -- of H2 crashes and collisions.

Part changed in 2003
But in June 2003, the automaker changed the steering knuckle part starting with model year 2004. The older part remains in the 47,900 model year 2003s.

The change was made not because there was a problem with the part, according to GM product safety spokesman Alan Adler, but because GM always wants to "improve its products."

NHTSA engineers also have gathered data about 61 steering knuckle failures on three-quarter-ton GM Suburban and Avalanche pickup trucks that used the same part, according to documents the company submitted to the government as part of the safety probe.

Such probes can be precursors to recalls. NHTSA investigator Peter Kivett said he is trying to work with GM to pinpoint the cause of the failures.

"We re building a case, but GM is pushing back pretty hard," Kivett said.

A smaller, more luxurious version of the military Humvee, the H2s went on sale in late 2002 and quickly became beloved to a select group of affluent urban owners. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger used to own one.

Assembled at a plant in Indiana, their base price is $53,800. More than 113,000 have been sold.

Gay Kent, GM's product investigation director, declined an interview request. In a written reply to NHTSA investigators, Kent argued that the volume of the H2 steering knuckle failures and wheel separations was "extremely low."

"Steering knuckles do not fracture unless they are overloaded in an impact," her report states.

That's not the way Jonathan Barksdale of Chester, Pa., remembers it. Barksdale bought an H2 from a Delaware dealer for $64,000 on Dec. 3, 2003.

Eight days later, with 381 miles on his odometer, according to documents filed in the Court of Common Pleas in Philadelphia County, "suddenly and without warning, the right front wheel of the vehicle flew off."

Then there was Arsen Khachatryan, a South Carolina man who complained to the NHTSA's safety hotline in July 2004 that he and his brother "nearly died" in their mother's 2004 H2.

His driver's side front wheel "broke free" at 35 mph and the vehicle became a moving tripod, swerving into oncoming traffic, Khachatryan reported. He hit the brakes -- to no avail.

"The brakes were still attached to the wheel which I could see was behind us from the side-view mirror," he wrote.

The brothers crashed into a ditch, unhurt. What troubled Khachatryan most was that his own mother, Anahit Khachatryan, didn't believe him when he told her what happened.

"It was awful," Anahit Khachatryan told The Bee. "It had less than 1,000 miles on it."

Since April, the NHTSA's Kivett has collected such statements from H2 owners and drivers, along with photographs of their accidents.

Bee editor files first report
Mark Glover, The Bee's auto editor, was the first person to report an H2 wheel separation to the federal government.

A test drive of a yellow 2003 H2 for his column ended abruptly when the vehicle veered suddenly to the left and crashed in The Bee's parking lot. Photos by a Bee photographer show a fractured steering knuckle, a scraped light pole and a wheel 15 feet away.

Glover says it was his only crash during a test drive since taking the job of reviewing cars in 2000. It still amazes him. "There was a sharp, loud noise and the vehicle was on its nose," he said.

Art Spinella, an automobile industry analyst in Oregon, speculated that GM officials didn't discover a problem earlier due to insufficient road testing.

"It's one of these things that didn't turn up initially because there was not enough miles of road testing," he said. "It's not just GM, it's all the companies."

Consumers expect H2s to be tough because of marketing, Spinella said, even if only 18 percent of them drive off-road.

"If you say you've made it tough enough to go off-roading, it better be," Spinella said.

Kent, the GM product investigation director, said the H2 is plenty tough and its components have all undergone extensive strength and durability testing, according to a 29-page report that she submitted to the NHTSA on March 31.

In 13 cases where GM said it had enough physical evidence to determine the exact causes of H2 crashes, Kent wrote, all the vehicles were moving -- with all four wheels attached -- when they hit a fixed or heavy obstacle, including trees, cars and an embankment.

Kent said hits can deliver a force of up to 10,000 pounds to the steering knuckle on the 6,400-pound H2, overloading the part and causing it to fail.

A recurring issue is whether H2 owners had a collision before or after their steering knuckles failed. Some admit hitting small bumps before, others say they hit nothing. Still others are unsure which came first, the hit or the wheel separation.

We hit nothing, drivers say
Cape Cod, Mass., homebuilder Ryan Spenlinhauer said a wheel on his green 2003 H2 collapsed without warning as he left his driveway, causing it to hit a tree, government documents show.

"It's not a situation you expect in a Hummer," he said.

Spenlinhauer told The Bee he hit the tree after his wheel fell off, though he said GM officials suggested he hit something before.

Ziroli, the Murrieta real estate agent, admits her H2 tire bumped and "grabbed" a post in the drive-through.

Citing safety concerns, Ziroli and Spenlinhauer subsequently sold their Hummers.

Like Spenlinhauer, Barksdale -- who lost a wheel after owning his H2 for eight days -- insisted he hit nothing. He pressed his dealer to pay for repairs under warranty. The dealer balked, court documents state.

Barksdale sued the dealer and GM in June 2004 under Delaware's Automobile Lemon Law, alleging his H2 was unreliable and unsafe.

GM suggested Barksdale hit something, court documents show. So Barksdale's lawyer, Michael Power, hired automobile claims expert Charlie Barone, who found no evidence of a collision, according to his inspection report filed in court.

Rather, Barone stated that a knuckle failure after only 381 miles driven pointed to an undetected manufacturing defect "just waiting to happen."

Lawyer: Built to be tough
Besides, whether Barksdale's H2 hit something was irrelevant, Barone added. "A Hummer H2 is supposed to be able to withstand any hazard on a reasonably paved road, to say nothing of off-road hazards," his report said.

GM settled with Barksdale in fall 2005, buying his H2 back for what he paid less what his insurer paid to fix it, Power said. Anahit Khachatryan said that after she hired a lawyer and threatened a similar suit, GM also took back her red H2 and refunded her payments.

Adler, the GM product safety spokesman, declined to discuss specific cases The Bee unearthed in databases obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. Nobody has died in H2 steering knuckle accidents, Adler said, but four people had minor injuries. Six more people were hurt in GM truck incidents involving the steering knuckle, he said.

New Jersey department store manager Mary Kim was knocked out when her head hit the steering wheel of her 2003 H2 and the right front tire fell off during a low-speed left turn in January 2005, according to documents GM submitted to the NHTSA.

James Kim, Mary's husband, told The Bee that investigators for GM later visited them and said his wife went up on the curb and hit a lamppost. She remembers nothing about the accident, but James said he visited the site and saw no damaged lamppost.

A GM customer service database entry about their complaint makes no mention of an impact.

"Even if my wife hit the curb, the wheel shouldn't cave in like that," said James Kim.

No problems, GM says
Kent, of GM, said in her report that the automaker found no problems through its own probe of the knuckle failures that included design checks, forensic evaluations of failed parts, and a part performance study under extreme abuse conditions.

"The subject vehicles and components are neither defective, nor do they present an unreasonable risk of crashes or injuries resulting from crashes," she wrote.

Kent also turned over data showing that 456 GM truck owners made steering knuckle- related claims under warranties for trucks with model years 1996 to 2005.

Kent's report emphasized, though, that H2s "differ significantly" from GM trucks.

"The H2 has larger tires that extend farther from the side of the vehicle and has no body panels or energy-absorbing bumper in front of the wheels," she wrote. "These distinctions, a necessary feature for off-road use, mean that impacts to the far left or right side of the vehicle can transmit forces directly to the tire, forces which are then reacted to by the steering and suspension components."

That doesn't satisfy James Kim, who said, "The H2's supposedly superstrong and made for off-roading."

However, Adler, the GM spokesman, said the H2 is a rugged vehicle with excellent off-roading abilities, but it remains manmade.

"We're not trying to minimize this, but we have never claimed it is invincible, nor do we portray it crashing into another vehicle or obstacle in any advertising," Adler said. "If energy levels in a crash are sufficient, any vehicle can be disabled."

278317-0721hummers02.jpg

278317-0721hummers01.jpg

Owned!

For once I don't have to say "I submitted this with a funnier headline"

Blind_Io said:
Owned!

For once I don't have to say "I submitted this with a funnier headline"

hahaha shut up!... I had to include the fark headline cause I thought it was hilarious.

Good Jorb, IO!

/I shall remember this. :twisted:

What? No fist shaking and shouting of "You will rue the day you crossed paths with No Boss!"?

Blind_Io said:
What? No fist shaking and shouting of "You will rue the day you crossed paths with No Boss!"?

I would.... but I'm about to walk out the door to a party.

But don't worry....

It's on.
SouthPark805.jpg

Must be a material problem. It could also be that there is too much weight being put on the knuckles. Remeber the same suspension is being used on other GM SUVs and problems like the one above are not occuring.

I've heard it's because they are using knuckles from trucks not ment to carry the weight.

This issue has been known by the guys who actually go off-roading cause it takes nothing to break them.

Quite a few people do take their H2s offroad and nothing breaks. I guess we will have to wait and see what is the official opinion.

http://img233.imageshack.**/img233/2685/deadh2aik4.jpg

Hehe. Damn thing looks like it was dropped from a crane.

jetsetter said:
Quite a few people do take their H2s offroad and nothing breaks.

Well... except for this guys

jetsetter said:
Quite a few people do take their H2s offroad and nothing breaks. I guess we will have to wait and see what is the official opinion.

Obviously you've never been actually off-roading. The old axiom goes, "There are two kinds of off-road vehicles; ones that have broken, and ones that are going to." And it's totally true in my experience.

jetsetter said:

Quite a few people take their Subaru's offroad too. Hell, I took my Rx-7 offroading once... wich was interesting.

Since its just an overweight, funked up, Truck chassis, you would do better using the Truck the H2 is based on.

It would be cheaper, better looking, and not freakishly overweight. Hummer is the best example of marketing over substance I can think of. ugh.

I'm just giving my opinion based on the testimonies of people who actually own H2s and take them off road. There are plenty of vids showing H2s doing reasonably well off road.

Can it Really Go Off-Road?
Unlike many of the SUVs on the market, the H2 is Rubicon-tested and has already proven itself a worthy off-roader in it's current Beta format. GM has taken these hand-built H2s over the Rubicon several times, proving that it can handle it and come out alive and driving. We wouldn't recommend trying that in many other of today's production SUVs.

With 9.4" of ground clearance, an approach angle of 39.8 - 43.6 degrees (depending on tire size) and a departure angle of 35.9 - 39.7 degrees, the H2 should be able to attack most obstacles that a typical four-wheeler would point it at. No, you won't see the H2 showing up at an extreme competition, but you certainly could take the H2 over the majority of the trails in the US, assuming it can physically fit.

The rear's departure angle is certainly less than, say, a Jeep Wrangler, because of it's rear cargo/seating area hanging out further. However, equipped with the optional air suspension, at a flick of a switch, the H2's backside will rise up two inches to help you clear obstacles.

The H2 uses a brand new transfer case built by Borg-Warner. The 44-84 allows a 40/60 torque split to the front and rear axles. The 44-84 is a full-time 4WD transfer case with a planetary center differential. This case allows five different settings:
- 4HI Open (dry road surfaces
- 4HI Locked (semi-slippery surfaces)
- 4LO Locked (severe off-pavement use)
- 4LO Locked + Eaton electronic rear differential locker (climbing and steep grades)
- Neutral (flat towing), 4 Lo Lock.

The Eaton electronic rear differential is a big plus for those who will want to really use their H2 off-road. We've used the ELocker ourselves in a Chevy Avalanche. The locker offers on/off operation at the press of a button. Operation is instantaneous and offers full lock between the left and right axle shafts in the rear of the truck. The ELocker will only work when the transfer case is in 4LO. It automatically disengages if you shift into a 4HI setting.

Helping out off-road, the Bosch 4-wheel ABS brake system uses their new Automatic Brake Differential (ABD), which is specifically calibrated to prevent unwanted activations when off-road. Other ABS systems can act unpredictably off-road, however, the ABD automatically adapts to the selected driveline configuration, even when rockcrawling or mud bogging. The system senses wheelspin and depending on the transfer case settings, can supply braking to up to three wheels, thus sending 100% power to a single wheel that has traction.

Will the H2 crawl? Well, crawling is all relative. The H2's ratios add up like this: The 4L65-E 4-speed automatic transmission has a 1st gear of 3.06:1. The Borg-Warner 44-84 Transfer Case has a low range ratio of 2.64:1. The axle gearing is 4.10:1. Multiply these ratios together for a final crawl ratio of 33.12:1. Compare that to a Jeep Wrangler's stock ratio of 27.80:1 (automatic with 3.73 gears) or the upcoming Wrangler Rubicon's amazing 65.92:1. The H2's crawl ratio is certainly respectable and much lower than most other SUVs on the market and should be low enough for most owners.

Once you've gotten the H2 off-road, you'll need underbody protection. Hummer has built in skid plates for under the motor, fuel tank, and transfer case. Frame-mounted bars protect the rocker panels and an intermediate ladder helps keep the rocks away from the transmission.

Ianspeed said:
jetsetter said:

Quite a few people take their Subaru's offroad too. Hell, I took my Rx-7 offroading once ... wich was interesting.

Since its just an overweight, funked up, Truck chassis, you would do better using the Truck the H2 is based on.

It would be cheaper, better looking, and not freakishly overweight. Hummer is the best example of marketing over substance I can think of. ugh.

No you didn't. There is no way for an RX-7 to do anything on an unimproved surface, it had to at least be graded and therefore it's called an "improved dirt/gravel road" Offroading means unimproved surfaces, and that means high clearance and in most cases 4wd and a low range gear box. I don't know what you did, but it wasn't offroading.

jetsetter said:
Well you could take anything with that clearance offroad, but the H2 is hardly optimal.

I have seen people try to take H2s offroad, they don't do well at all. They may look tough, but the clearance is marginal by offroad standards and the wheel travel is utter shit. They pick up their wheels faster than Paris Hilton lifts her skirt.

whoever buys a Hummer deserves that punishment