For the 1st time, U.S. drivers buy more import brands

Well between all the bad press and the hit-and-miss quality of GM & Ford, I guess it's not surprising. Considering the media never likes anything made in the US and almost cream their pants over a Honda or Toyota...sorry, but it seems true...

is that the new chevy you've got in your sig, yf19? :D

^-- yeah...prime example of the "modern, trendy and breathtaking" styling of american cars :lol: :lol:

my surprise in boundless...

the better question is: how do the big3 fail?

Dins said:

Two reasons, 1 obvious, 1 not so.

1)The inability to foresee a threat to their companies; it happened in the 1970's.

2)The United Auto Workers, or UAW, who has the big 3 by the balls.

jayhawk said:
Dins said:

1)The inability to foresee a threat to their companies; it happened in the 1970's.

The Unions are bad but not as bad as British unions. But that could explain why Britiain's car industry has gone down the hole. I hope that the big three improve their products over the next few years. GM is going completly thought its line up and throwing out a few cars and building more rear wheel drive autos to replace current front wheel drive models.

We have very powerful unions in Germany as well, with lots of influence in the politics and so on, and yet our industry doesn't go down the drain. I think its just a way the management tries to blame it on others instead of admitting they completely screwed up.

Un-Dee said:
We have very powerful unions in Germany as well, with lots of influence in the politics and so on, and yet our industry doesn't go down the drain. I think its just a way the management tries to blame it on others instead of admitting they completely screwed up.

The British Unions asked for too much and didn't give anything up. That was the problem. The UAW actually did give things up in order to help the company over all.

fbc said:
I'm suprised it took this long...
technically it didn't

American consumers have bought more foreign cars for a while, but the big 3 have sold so many fleet vehicles they've been able to edge out the imports on paper.

jayhawk said:

you forgot the others:

3) Making cars people don't want.

3a) trying to tell people what they want, rather than listen and give what they want

4) Poor management

zenkidori said:
technically it didn't

American consumers have bought more foreign cars for a while, but the big 3 have sold so many fleet vehicles they've been able to edge out the imports on paper.

Plus you consider that most of GM's box van's and the like are badge-engineered isuzu's. And then factor how many Aveo's sold and those are all just Daewoo's. The list could go on for weeks as we all know.

Of course we buy more foreign makes, than the 3 "domestic" makes. But we actually buy more foreign makes that are made and designed in america, than we do domestic make made in america.

Biggest sellers like camry, corrola, and accords are all made in the in US. So why bother buying a GM or Ford product when it is just as likely made out of the US.

So I say buy 'Merican, and get a Toyota or Honda.

Martin

martineb72 said:
Of course we buy more foreign makes, than the 3 "domestic" makes. But we actually buy more foreign makes that are made and designed in america, than we do domestic make made in america.

Biggest sellers like camry, corrola, and accords are all made in the in US. So why bother buying a GM or Ford product when it is just as likely made out of the US.

So I say buy 'Merican, and get a Toyota or Honda.

Martin

Or buy Mexican and buy a Ford Fusion.

jetsetter said:
Un-Dee said:

The British Unions asked for too much and didn't give anything up. That was the problem. The UAW actually did give things up in order to help the company over all.

Mrs Thatcher sorted them (the Unions) out, some say the baby went with the bath water unfortunately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thatcherism