Alpha RWD platform set to invade GM lineup

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
Citing suppliers and loose-lipped employees of General Motors as its source, Inside Line has learned that the rear-wheel drive Alpha platform will be making a big splash in the automaker's product portfolio soon. The Alpha will reportedly underpin a successor to the Pontiac G6 set to arrive in late 2010. Such a vehicle would do much to enhance Pontiac's unsubstaniated claim to build excitement, and would also augment the upcoming Zeta-based, rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan nicely. After that, the Alpha will take up residence beneath the next-generation Cadillac BLS sedan that's currently sold only in Europe. Once it makes the switch, IL expects the BLS to cross the Atlantic and slot in below the CTS in Cadillac's North American lineup. Next up would be a new rear-wheel-drive Alpha-based sedan for Saturn that would be positioned below the front-wheel drive Aura and above the Astra.

The Alpha infusion would occur in GM's lineup just as the aged front-wheel-drive W-body platform is phased out and replaced by the Epsilon II platform. The W-based Buick LaCrosse will make way for an Epsilon II successor that revives the Regal name, while the next-gen Malibu and Aura will move over to the new platform, as well. The Malibu may also be offered in a long-wheelbase version to appease current Impala customers who will still need a large, front-wheel-drive sedan once that car jumps to the rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform.

Regardless of whether any of these plans actually happen (nothing's written in stone in this business), it's clear that GM's push to globalize its platforms is on track.

[Source: Inside Line]

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/01/alpha-rwd-platform-set-to-invade-gm-lineup/
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121033

More good news.

Ok. I'm all for more RWD cars, but I think GM is starting to think that RWD is the answer to all the worlds problems.

They still have other things to fix. Saturn I don't think really needs, or has much of a use for, a RWD platform. Except for the Sky.

But good news as far as a G6 replacement.

Ok. I'm all for more RWD cars, but I think GM is starting to think that RWD is the answer to all the worlds problems.

They still have other things to fix. Saturn I don't think really needs, or has much of a use for, a RWD platform. Except for the Sky.

But good news as far as a G6 replacement.

That is why the Epsilon II platform and its variants have and are going to be developed.

The next-generation Pontiac G6 will arrive earlier than expected, according to a new report. Based on GM's Alpha rear-wheel-drive platform for midsize cars, the new G6 should show up for the 2011 model year in late 2010.

A recent report indicated the Alpha-based G6 might not arrive until 2013, but this latest information from Edmunds indicates the G6 will be the first car to use the new architecture.

A successor to the front-drive Cadillac BLS will arrive a few months later, in early 2011, the report claims. Priced below the Cadillac CTS, the new BLS will be sold in North America, and should start in the high $20,000s.

For the 2012 model year, Saturn will also get a new Alpha-based car. It will be offered in addition to the front-wheel-drive Aura, rather than as a replacement.

Of course, many of GM's midsize cars will remain front-wheel-drive. The next Malibu will transition to the Epison 2 platform in late 2010, and the next Buick LaCrosse will also make use of the architecture, albeit a year earlier. Saab's next 9-5 and 9-3 will also be Epsilon-2 based, the report says.

GM is believed to have previewed its Alpha platform with the Holden Torana concept (pictured) in 2004. Given the close relationship between GM Australia's Holden and America's Pontiac division, the next G6 will probably have a close counterpart at Holden.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-rear-wheel-drive-pontiac-g6-due-in-2010.html#more-5132

GM insiders have disclosed new information regarding GM's latest rear-wheel-drive plans including details on the forthcoming large RWD Zeta cars, the Alpha platform, and future Cadillac offerings.

GM sources told GMInsideNews that Cadillac would like to use its Sigma platform to exploit market niches it doesn't currently offer product in. Since development of CTS and the Sigma II platform is complete and the expense would be rather minimal, Cadillac will offer several variants of its new CTS sedan including a coupe aimed at the BMW 6-series, as well as a wagon. The RWD wagon and a new FWD crossover dubbed BRX (which rides on a combined Theta-Epsilon platform) will replace the SRX when it is phased out in the summer of 2009. The new coupe, station wagon and crossover will launch in late 2009 for the 2010 model year.

In 2010 ? for the 2011 model year ? the CTS will undergo a refresh as part of GM's effort to gradually move it upmarket to become a 5-Series, E-Class competitor. The update will give the CTS a revised exterior, a brand new interior, and a revised, more powerful powertrain line-up, the report claims. Since GM's new Northstar engine is expected to arrive around this time, look for it to premier in the 2011 CTS.

The STS will be phased out during the summer of 2010, leaving the CTS as the only car riding on the Sigma chassis, the sources say. When the CTS is moved from Sigma to a modified form of Zeta in 2012, the Sigma platform will be scrapped.

Alpha news

The new Alpha platform is a go, with development underway in Australia by GM's Holden unit, GMI says. The new Cadillac BLS will move from front-wheel-drive Epsilon to RWD Alpha between 2011 and 2012, allowing it to compete against the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes C-Class.

Expect the BLS to also have coupe and wagon variants launching shortly after the sedan. Opel/Vauxhall will also get an Alpha variant and since Saturn has been twinned with Opel, they probably will too.

The Pontiac G6 will move also move from FWD Epsilon to RWD Alpha by 2013, due to lead times in getting Alpha into production. Because of this, the G6 will be overhauled and moved to Epsilon II for the 2009 model year for a short run, and then will be moved to Alpha, according to the report. The G6 will mostly likely be similar to the upcoming Holden Torana.

The Zeta platform can't really be scaled down because its over-engineered too accommodate a variety of body styles and applications. Thus, the need for the Alpha platform. It will probably feature a somewhat unique front suspension set up: a coil-over spring coupled with a 4-link strut should provide the necessary characteristics with size and weight advantages over Zeta's articulated McPherson. The rear suspension would be similar to the set up found in both the Zeta and Sigma cars. The platform would also be modular and scalable.

The Alpha chassis will have roughly a 110-inch wheelbase and length between 170 and 180 inches. It will probably feature support for both I4 and V6 engines, eschewing a V8 option due to space and emissions constraints.

Impala, GTO still on track

In Zeta news, the full size Chevy RWD car will indeed be called the Impala, but its launch has been moved back to between November 2009 and June 2010 to allow GM to modify its powertrain offerings for the car. Chevrolet could also get a new El Camino. If given the green light, the El Camino would hit dealers lots 2009-2010 time frame.

Pontiac will get another GTO from Australia. Based off of the all new Commodore Monaro, the GTO will reach America's shores from down under in the fall of 2009 to complement the Pontiac G8, the sources say.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-insiders-talk-ctszetaalpha-plans.html

Thank god for that news for pontiac. I like most of their cars (looks wise, interiors are still crap) and they sorely need RWD to be GM's sporty brand. I would buy a G8 in a flash, and if the new G6 looks good, i could be tempted to the dark side.

Of course, many of GM's midsize cars will remain front-wheel-drive. The next Malibu will transition to the Epison 2 platform in late 2010, and the next Buick LaCrosse will also make use of the architecture, albeit a year earlier. Saab's next 9-5 and 9-3 will also be Epsilon-2 based, the report says.

This actually interests me a bit more. I read before that Epsilon-2 will be able to support front wheel drive as well as a transverse mounted engine and AWD. If this is the case, maybe Buick or at least someone at GM has received my memo about making one of their brands AWD (My recommendation is Buick so they compete with Audi).

Going AWD with Buick would give GM a Luxury brand with the safety of front wheel drive like they want, but AWD for their high performance models. The thought of resurecting a Buick GN with a turbo v6 and AWD in a Le Crosse (or whatever heap of shit is the 2 door Buick in 2010/2012) makes me go :banana:

Thank god for that news for pontiac. I like most of their cars (looks wise, interiors are still crap) and they sorely need RWD to be GM's sporty brand. I would buy a G8 in a flash, and if the new G6 looks good, i could be tempted to the dark side.

I'm uncomfortable admitting this, but a G6 GXP coupe looks quite good. I know the grill is massive but I still like it. It only needs RWD, and a few minor body tweaks and it would be awesome, especially with the 250hp v6.

46200623276.jpg

I'm uncomfortable admitting this, but a G6 GXP coupe looks quite good. I know the grill is massive but I still like it. It only needs RWD, and a few minor body tweaks and it would be awesome, especially with the 250hp v6.
I feel the same way, I only wish they could get the Alpha cars to dealerships sooner. I wish they would switch the Malibu to RWD too, but I can understand them sticking with FWD.