Ford going ahead with Euro models in US: Kuga to be built in Louisville

Ford *may* still be smarting from what happened the last two times they brought the Mondeo over - though their failures weren't the fault of the design.

I don't see it suffering from the same problems the Contour had. Even the U.A.W. knows they can't fuck this up now. And Ford seems have been able to get them to produce decent quality recently.

Here's one reason why the small hatchback is unpopular in the US:

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

It's called "antiquing" or "browsing yard/garage sales" and you have *no* idea how many women do this. Then they go to pack their new-found "treasures" in their car for transport home...

This *can't* be safe, and if she had a larger vehicle (like an SUV or wagon or minivan) she would be able to transport that amount of crap safely.

Never mind the fact that she'd probably pack even an 18 wheeler full of crap if she could, though. :p

If it's secured right, it's fine. A couple of months ago, I saw a Holden/Saturn/Opel Astra hatchback crash head on into a tree outside my school at about 30-40km/h. There was a 27" CRT TV in the back, but luckily, because it was properly secured in the back, it didn't do the funny thing of flying forward (thanks inertia..) and crashing into the drivers' head.

That said, I get a bit nervous in a hatchback or wagon without a cover or cargo barrier. My dad's told me bad stories about how poles and other things have managed to be deadly in an otherwise perfectly normal emergency stop..