Rumour Mill: 2019 Ford Mustang GT500 to feature 5.2-liter supercharged V8

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
coolfords.com said:
Confidential images and documents have leaked online confirming the 2019 Ford Mustang GT500 will feature a 5.2-liter supercharged V8 engine.

The confidential Ford document titled ‘2020 MY North America Vehicle Program – Engine Oil Requirements’, was leaked online via member Super Werty of the mustang6g forums. The document seen here lists both the current Mustang GT350 and Supercharged Mustang GT500, confirming that the car is just around the bend.

Another member of the forum managed to snap a picture of the vehicle’s truly giant Brembo brakes and slotted calipers which will no doubt be needed to bring this wild pony to a stop.

Additionally, Carscoops notes sources close to Ford indicate that the GT500’s engine will be dubbed ‘Predator’ and share many of its components with the universally-praised 5.2-liter V8 of the GT350 and GT350R. Consequently, the Predator should retain a flat-plane crank and could howl just as beautifully as it’s slightly less-powerful younger brother. A horsepower figure of over 650 hp seems very likely.
Source

Don't we know somebody who could confirm this for us? :D

93Flareside;n3542536 said:
Don't we know somebody who could confirm this for us? :D

You do know someone who COULD confirm or deny this..... But you don't know anyone who WOULD :p

I'm just happy it'll have some sort of V8 and not some bastardized EcoBoost V6.

JCE;n3542668 said:
I'm just happy it'll have some sort of V8 and not some bastardized EcoBoost V6.

I think if they don't put a V8 in a Shelby there will be an actual riot.

Everyone said that about the GT. As long as it performs, I don't see a problem. A V6 will be lighter weight and if it makes the same or better power, then I'm all for it. Remember, Godzilla runs a V6.

GT-R and possible performance of an ecofail motors are irrelevant to this conversation. The R35 is specifically about all out performance, it becomes blatantly obvious when you look at transmission and drivetrain choice. The GT is also largely irrelevant as the current iteration basically went back to its roots. Originally it was a race car that was also a show of "look what we can do!" and it is the same now. It's also a hypercar that is completely out of reach of basically everyone but a few select customers.
Mustang is a lot more of an American icon and V8 engines are also quintessentially American. There is also the experience to consider, a blown V8 will always be a different experience from a turbo 6 regardless of performance. By the same token if performance is important then FR with an ICE is not the best way to get it anyway. Might as well make it midship, AWD and electric, after all it's going to be faster.

Blind_Io;n3542734 said:
Remember, Godzilla runs a V6.

Even as fast as the GT-R is it still sounds like shit. The Ford GT sounds like shit too and pretty much any V6 sounds like shit that doesn't have an Alfa badge. I want my "sporty" car to SOUND like it means business and be intimidating and brutal. This is why the new Raptor is an utter and complete failure. V8's will always sound better than V6's. I even think the flat 4 from the WRX/STI sounds better than any V6 Ford EcoBoost mill.

Blind_Io;n3542734 said:
Everyone said that about the GT. As long as it performs, I don't see a problem. A V6 will be lighter weight and if it makes the same or better power, then I'm all for it. Remember, Godzilla runs a V6.

The whole idea behind the Shelby Mustangs has always been shove a big powerful V8 in there though. To put a V6 in, well it may happen at some point but I don't think you'd see it badged as a Shelby.

JCE;n3542751 said:
Even as fast as the GT-R is it still sounds like shit. The Ford GT sounds like shit too and pretty much any V6 sounds like shit that doesn't have an Alfa badge. I want my "sporty" car to SOUND like it means business and be intimidating and brutal. This is why the new Raptor is an utter and complete failure. V8's will always sound better than V6's. I even think the flat 4 from the WRX/STI sounds better than any V6 Ford EcoBoost mill.

Well, that's like, your opinion.

I find most inline-6s and V-6s to sound better than most American V8s. :dunno:

Not bad cor a Camry engine.:-D

​​​​​​​

Redliner;n3542812 said:

You should see an ear doctor then ;) I6 can certainly sound nice but most V6s have no character at all.

prizrak;n3542813 said:
You should see an ear doctor then ;) I6 can certainly sound nice but most V6s have no character at all.

Again: YOUR opinion.

"No character at all" is quite a sweeping generalization, just like "American cars can't take corners/have shitty interiors/Etc." so let's not bring the discussion to this level, it's just stupid.

Redliner;n3542821 said:
Again: YOUR opinion.

"No character at all" is quite a sweeping generalization, just like "American cars can't take corners/have shitty interiors/Etc." so let's not bring the discussion to this level, it's just stupid.

No no, it’s a fact. /me drives an American car famous for not taking corners (or cars and coffee exits) and with a crappy interior ;)

Redliner;n3542812 said:

I didn't say I6, I said V6 engines sound like shit. I happen to be fond of the I6 that used to be in the M3. But nothing compares to a proper V8 American, German, or Japanese, doesn't matter. But I guess that's why people like different things.

That Lotus doesn't sound good to me. Sorry mate.

JCE;n3542833 said:
But nothing compares to a proper V8 American, German, or Japanese, doesn't matter.

V12 >>>>>>>> moons of Jupiter >>>> V8. Internet rules require this to be posted now.

[video=youtube;VAgUtv-5ybw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAgUtv-5ybw[/video]

There's a significant bass and subsonic bass element to the Jag V12 exhaust that cameras don't capture, so it sounds/feels even better in person.

Last edited:
JCE;n3542833 said:
I didn't say I6, I said V6 engines sound like shit. I happen to be fond of the I6 that used to be in the M3. But nothing compares to a proper V8 American, German, or Japanese, doesn't matter. But I guess that's why people like different things.

That Lotus doesn't sound good to me. Sorry mate.

I know you said V6, I was just adding that I prefer them over V8s (usually).
On a side note, I find it interesting how different an American V8 sounds when compared to a German or Japanese or Italian V8.
Anyway, I didn't expect you to like the sound of the Lotus, but that's my point: different people like different things. It just rubs me the wrong way when generalizations are used. :beer:

Can we meet halfway? :D

*Side note2*
My personal preference order would be:
V12 (also known as 2 line-6s having an argument)
line-6
line-5 (line-6s weird cousin)
European V8

Wankel gets a special mention for those days when I am feeling anti-social. :lol:

V5

Spectre;n3542844 said:
V12 >>>>>>>> moons of Jupiter >>>> V8. Internet rules require this to be posted now.

There's a significant bass and subsonic bass element to the Jag V12 exhaust that cameras don't capture, so it sounds/feels even better in person.

V12s do sound nice, but I would very much fight you on the idea that it sounds better than a V8. They sound different, the burble of the crossplane american V8 especially at lower RPMs is unmatched by anything else.
Redliner;n3542857 said:
On a side note, I find it interesting how different an American V8 sounds when compared to a German or Japanese or Italian V8.
A lot of it is exhaust tuning, if you are talking older stuff like the classic American V8, it's due to big displacement and OHV design most likely. European engines in general tend to be relatively small (things like 6liter AMGs notwithstanding)

Last edited:
prizrak;n3542862 said:
A lot of it is exhaust tuning, if you are talking older stuff like the classic American V8, it's due to big displacement and OHV design most likely. European engines in general tend to be relatively small (things like 6liter AMGs notwithstanding)

That too, but also bore x stroke relation, firing order, flat and crossplane, etc...