Cadillac introduces first ever twin turbo V8, for the CT6 V sport.

GRtak

Forum Addict
http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...s/news/us/en/2018/mar/0321-twin-turbo-v8.html

The new Cadillac Twin Turbo V-8 is a clean-sheet design that also introduces unique design elements developed to balance performance and efficiency with compact, mass-efficient packaging.

“Designing an all-new engine was the best way to achieve the performance goals for the CT6 V-Sport,” said Jordan Lee, 4.2L TT V-8 chief engineer. “It builds on Cadillac’s well-established turbocharging know-how and forges new ground with innovative features that deliver exceptional performance and refinement.”

At the center of the 4.2L Twin Turbo V-8 is a “hot V” configuration that transposes the conventional layout of the cylinder heads’ intake and exhaust systems to mount the turbochargers at the top of the engine — in the valley between the heads — to virtually eliminate turbo lag and reduce the engine’s overall packaging size.

In a conventional turbocharged engine, the cylinder heads receive the pressurized air charge through ports at the top of the engine and the exhaust exits through ports on the lower outside of the heads into manifolds connected to the turbochargers.

With Cadillac’s innovative hot V design, the intake-charged air enters through the lower outside of the heads and exits through the top inside — where the turbochargers are integrated with the exhaust manifolds — for quick spool-up that translates into more immediate power delivery. The design also allows closer mounting of the catalytic converters, for efficient packaging.

While the power numbers look great, I have concerns about the "Hot V" retaining to much heat.

OMG the heat this thing will have to displace... Talk about heatsoak!

Wow, looks like any service on that engine of any kind will be a titanic pain in the ass. Spark plugs even look like they require major intake component removal.

I thought the same thing. So if you get one, sell it before it needs any plugs changed. :lol:

Cadillac just wants to be cool, like the German kids.

TC;n3547792 said:
Cadillac just wants to be cool, like the German kids.

Then it shouldn't put the turbos in the middle of a v-configuration.

Blind_Io;n3547801 said:
Then it shouldn't put the turbos in the middle of a v-configuration.

It's the cool thing to do, all the germans are doing it. wait, did I say cool? I mean hot, really hot.

You guys have forced me to do this. I did not want to, it is all your fault!

So, a Northstar reborn?

I only just got around to seeing some pics of the 2019 CT6 V-Sport and it looks pretty nice, imo.

ct6v.jpg

ct6v2.jpg

ct6v3.jpg

ct6v4.jpg

It looks like a future Chrysler had a baby with Benedict Cumberbatch's cheekbones and it was raised in 1989. At first I couldn't place it, but this is just the old "two-box" design; one shape for the body with a greenhouse plopped on top.

Last edited: