2020 Mustang to get a hybrid version

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-mustang-hybrid-what-to-expect/
It’s official. The Ford Mustang Hybrid will make its debut in 2020. The electrified pony car will likely be the first of its kind: an American rear-drive coupe with a hybrid powertrain. Hybrids have come a long way; supercars including the Porsche 918 Spyder and McLaren P1 take advantage of the additional power of electric motors to achieve optimal performance, and this will only become more common as electrified powertrains spread across the industry. Although Ford is still developing the Mustang Hybrid, here’s our best guess on what to expect from the new muscle car variant.

I, for one, welcome our new electric overlords. Now if they can just make the systems lighter weight, I would love a hybrid overland/off road rig with a 700 mile range.

I agree about the electric overlords.

Also in before all the loss of the soul whining.

I'd prefer a naturally aspirated V8, with hybrid electric torque fill, over a turbocharged small displacement powertrain.

The only thing I would be concerned about, besides price and weight, is reliability.

Blind_Io;n3548545 said:
I, for one, welcome our new electric overlords. Now if they can just make the systems lighter weight, I would love a hybrid overland/off road rig with a 700 mile range.

That's because you are looking at it from a utilitarian standpoint. You don't care about the engine as much as what kind of off roading you can do with it, which is a perfectly understandable stance.
GRtak;n3548551 said:
I agree about the electric overlords.

Also in before all the loss of the soul whining.
As long as V8 is an option I don't much care but if it went away then it would lose it's soul. Some cars are not just about what they can do but also how they make you feel. A V8 roaring to life is special, an electric motor not so much.

Last edited:
Let's hope with the current EPA easing the CAFE requirements, we'll get a few more years of big engined high performance cars before getting forced to drive hybrid econoboxes.

I hope this battery hybrid stuff is only a holdover until something like hydrogen takes off. That would be my optimal electric car.

Hydrogen is not as efficient a storage medium as battery, also can't load up with it in your garage. I think as long as charge times can be brought down to about 5-10 mins it would be reasonable enough for most people.