Dude buys 135 BMWs in 55 years

FDaihatsu

Car(s)
Polol 1.8GTI
Looks like Klaus Hammerschmidt, a 73 year old German pensioner, is loyal to BMW's products in such standards that even the company's bestest public relations can't invent: Last week he got his new BMW M6's keys, which makes the number of total BMWs he owned to 135!

Apparently he got his first automotive experience by driving an Opel Olympia while being on his dad and being 12, and apparently the first word he said was "Auto".

Found this on a local car site, but here's another version in proper English:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/06/27/loyal-bmw-customer-picks-up-his-135th-bmw-vehicle/

i concur... they should be giving him one with a big ass bow on it!

seems like he should have bought a 135i to commemorate.

Nope, sounds to me that they should have given him a 135i for his dedication.

2-3 BMW's a year for 55 years. He's got loyalty I'll give him that, but that's a lot of cars/year... doesn't speak well for BMW holding his enthusiasm for long.

I think the guy that put over a million miles on his Volvo P1800 speaks more on both counts.

ha i bet you could sell that man a turd with a bimmer badge on it and he'd buy.

not that i have anything against proper bimmers, i think they are fine cars and apart from the 7 series and X3 i love how they look

^ A proper car doesn't have an auto ^_^

2-3 BMW's a year for 55 years. He's got loyalty I'll give him that, but that's a lot of cars/year... doesn't speak well for BMW holding his enthusiasm for long.
He might have owned a bunch at once, I know my grandfather before he got Parkinsons had like 4.

Wait, wait, wait.... bought or leased? There's a big difference between buying 135 cars and keeping up a lease where you exchange the car fairly frequently and just keep a steady payment going the whole time.

Wait, wait, wait.... bought or leased? There's a big difference between buying 135 cars and keeping up a lease where you exchange the car fairly frequently and just keep a steady payment going the whole time.

Do a lot of lease agreements allow for that?

I know the only car I ever leased I had to hold on to for the whole four year term of the agreement... they wanted such a huge wad of money to give me another one of their own cars. :blink:

As for the topic of the thread, I don't get people like this guy. BMW has made plenty of good cars over the last fifty years, but they haven't made 135 cars worth owning. If I had that kind of financial footing, I would never, ever limit myself to one single marque for half a century... it doesn't say if the guy owned any other cars, but it sounds like not.

Do a lot of lease agreements allow for that?

I know the only car I ever leased I had to hold on to for the whole four year term of the agreement... they wanted such a huge wad of money to give me another one of their own cars. :blink:

Depends on the lease, they differ. Depending on your credit and other things you can negotiate different terms on the lease including vehicle changes. Typically if you can change the vehicle during the term of the lease the only thing that really changes as far as the lease is concerned is the vehicle payment. Those sort of leases are behind a lot of repossessions and the reason some people who should never be able to seem to have new big flashy cars frequently.

My grandfather had an agreement with Lincoln where he got a brand new fully optioned Town Car every two years (Our family owned and operated a number of large food companies from the ~40's through ~70's, and were fairly known names in horse show circuits in the east half of the country) so Lincoln considered him a very good customer.

Depends on the lease, they differ. Depending on your credit and other things you can negotiate different terms on the lease including vehicle changes. Typically if you can change the vehicle during the term of the lease the only thing that really changes as far as the lease is concerned is the vehicle payment. Those sort of leases are behind a lot of repossessions and the reason some people who should never be able to seem to have new big flashy cars frequently.

Interesting... I wonder if such generous leasing terms exist up here too.

Because I was baffled for a long time by the fact that on the whole people in the US seem to drive much newer, shinier cars than people here... eventually I just came to the conclusion that lease terms were probably different between the US and Canada. I know some American relatives who exchange cars frequently on their leases, but I don't know anyone here that leases a car and returns it prematurely.

Last edited:
Interesting... I wonder if such generous leasing terms exist up here too.

Because I was baffled for a long time by the fact that on the whole people in the US seem to drive much newer, shinier cars than people here... eventually I just came to the conclusion that lease terms were probably different between the US and Canada.

Honestly I have no idea how leases go in Canada, I just know you can get different terms depending on your standing here. Sure there are standard cookie-cutter leases, but those are so middle class :lol:

wow, that's a lot of cars. Might have been company cars, for his company or something..