Porsche is about to face bankruptcy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prizrak View Post
    Audi really only has one car that is competing with Porsche, the R8 other than that they are in pretty different markets.
    One could see the Panamera and the A8 as sorta kinda competitiors, but it's a stretch.
    Lambo/Porsche is much more of a question, but if we see Lambo as a super-/hypercar-maker and Porsche as an "ordinary" upmarket sportscar maker, even these only barely compete.
    Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
    (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Originally posted by prizrak View Post
      Audi really only has one car that is competing with Porsche, the R8 other than that they are in pretty different markets.
      The TT and Boxster are in the same market. As is the R8 and 911.
      bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
      "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
      "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

Cockster and TT Coupe as well - and to a lesser degree, the Cockster and A5.

Comment

Don't forget Cayenne and Q7!
          “If Liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" (George Orwell)

Comment

The Cayenne and the Q7 are based on the same platform in the first place. There's over a dozen cars based on the Golf platform and you could say they compete against each other, yet no one seems to mind. The TT and the Boxster? One of them is a Golf with a different bodywork, the other one is a purpose built mid-engined sportscar.

Comment

Originally posted by H0nzik View Post
              The TT and the Boxster? One of them is a Golf with a different bodywork, the other one is a purpose built mid-engined sportscar.
              Still the same market. The MGB was a unibody purpose built GT car, while the TR6 was a Herald underneath. Both still targeted the same market. In the case of the TT and Boxster the market is mainly yuppy businessmen and trophy wives.
              Last edited by argatoga; July 19th, 2009, 8:06 AM.
              bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
              "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
              "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

One could see the Panamera and the A8 as sorta kinda competitiors, but it's a stretch.
                Lambo/Porsche is much more of a question, but if we see Lambo as a super-/hypercar-maker and Porsche as an "ordinary" upmarket sportscar maker, even these only barely compete.
                Too much of a stretch really, Lambo is a supercar and costs quite a bit more than most Porsches. I think the only one that could be in competition is the Carrera GT but AFAIK they don't make it anymore.
                he TT and Boxster are in the same market. As is the R8 and 911.
                Cockster and TT Coupe as well - and to a lesser degree, the Cockster and A5.
                TT and Cockster are not really in the same price range, the top model TT (TT-S) is about the same as the base model Boxter (there is a 1K difference in Boxter's favor) S5 is closer to the price range actually but its a very different car.

There is very little overlap between Porsche and the rest of the VAG offerings. Not to mention that really people buy a Porsche because they specifically want a Porsche. Otherwise everyone would be spending money on Vette's and GT-R's since they offer very similar performance for less money.
                ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

This week's SPIEGEL cover story:

THE PORSCHE STORY

Part 1: A Fierce Family Feud

By Dietmar Hawranek

Volkswagen looks set to acquire Porsche, the troubled German sports car manufacturer. At the core of the companies' tightly intertwined histories is a deeply divided family engaged in a power struggle worth billions -- and which could determine the fate of two of Germany's most famous carmakers.A Dynastic Feud
                  Part Comedy, Part Drama
                  A Fight to Survive'We Have a Few Percent More than You''We Quarreled Terribly'Creative EnergyPart 2: The Downfall of a Corporate Upstart

By Dietmar Hawranek

Bigger Cigars, Wider Pinstripes
                  The Kafka-Loving CFO
                  Taking on the Sacred CowsThe Rise of WoPoUsing the Power StructuresA Decisive Dinner'Please Say Nice Things about Me'Time to Shut UpThe Next GenerationTranslated from the German by Christopher Sultan
                  Source: http://www.spiegel.de/international/...637542,00.html
                  Last edited by MacGuffin; July 22nd, 2009, 5:11 PM.
                  “If Liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" (George Orwell)

Comment

TL;DR
                    ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

I read it

Quite enlightening, so much drama... Can't you all get along and make cars?

Comment

I've got a shitload of school work and tests to study for, and absolutely no time. So obviously I read the entire article thoroughly!

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve
                        neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by klankymen View Post
                          I've got a shitload of school work and tests to study for, and absolutely no time.
                          Wait. What? At this time of year? My exams were done at the end of May, and we don't start until the middle of August. Anyway, summer school is a bother...

After having read the article I'm surprised that the actual car manufacturers let the families play "The Dynasty" or "Dallas" with each other without stepping in and stopping the madnes. This has effectively cost the two car manufacturers unnecessary expenses and the loss of independence for the smaller one. Lets hope that VAG doesn't ruin Porsche.

Comment

Originally posted by marcos_eirik View Post
                            Wait. What? At this time of year? My exams were done at the end of May, and we don't start until the middle of August. Anyway, summer school is a bother...
                            Well, my exams are now, but I don't restart until middle/end of october

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve
                            neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by marcos_eirik View Post
                              After having read the article I'm surprised that the actual car manufacturers let the families play "The Dynasty" or "Dallas" with each other without stepping in and stopping the madnes. This has effectively cost the two car manufacturers unnecessary expenses and the loss of independence for the smaller one. Lets hope that VAG doesn't ruin Porsche.
                              How could the manufactureres stop their owners from behaving like the Ewings?
                              Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
                              (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Porsche got owned.

Literally.

OSPhoto

Comment

Maybe there will finally be a rear-engined new beetle?

Comment

Top Porsche managers stand down

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8164295.stm

Comment

^ Porsche's "denial" of the Wiedekind -> Macht switch a few days back sounded suspiciously like a Watergate-style non-denial denial. The spokesperson did not deny the fact itself, but knowledge of it. I somehow knew that meant something.
                                      (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4515530,00.html

The battle is over and Volkswagen has won. But questions are being asked once more about the controversial special VW law, which limits the rights of independent shareholders.

Some observers are saying that it was only the VW law which prevented Porsche from succeeding in its ambitious plan to take over the larger company. And it was Porsche's failure to finish off the takeover after having spent so much money which led to its disastrous financial problems. Those problems in the end could only be solved by VW's takeover of Porsche.

The original VW law dates from the privatization of the company in 1960. It guaranteed the state of Lower Saxony, which owned 20 percent of the shares, that it could continue to block developments of which it did not approve. In addition, the law ensured that, however many shares anyone else had, they could only have a maximum of 20 percent of the votes.
                                        Edit: I'm really worried about whats gonna happen to Porsche, they might ruin it
                                        Last edited by Porsche Liebhaber; July 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM.
                                        Coldplay'ers

Comment

You mean like VW "ruined" Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti?

Comment

Working...
                                          X