New York 2010: 2011 Subaru WRX STI 4-Door has wing, needs gold wheels

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
I think it looks most better than the 5-door version. The wing does make it look better. Kind of funny how the PR mentions that the trunk lid will hit the rear window if you remove the wing because of the change in weight. I agree with Jonny that it should have gold rims.

Otherwise, :thumbup:

Source: Autoblog

For the first time in three years, Subaru is offering up a four-door version of their performance icon, the WRX STI. This is the first time that Subaru has ever offered an STI in two body styles. That's right, you can also buy the five-door STI. And while we love hot little performance wagons, you have to admit the wing is pretty sweet. Or at least admit that the four-door Impreza body is so... awkward looking (we know, we know) that the looks are actually improved by a 14-inch wing.

New for the STI(s) this year is an improved suspension consisting of stiffer bushings, stiffer springs, and thicker anti-roll bars at both ends of the car. The 2011 STI also sports less unsprung weight than the 2010 model due to lighter 18-inch wheels that are a combined 17.6 pounds less heavy. While power is unchanged (305 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque), high-speed stability of the four door is greatly improved, as is at the limit handling, by ? you guessed it ? that mega wing.

Since the four-door is marginally lighter than the five-door, 0-60 mph times might improve. However, since there's less weight over the rear wheels (and since the STI's diff is slightly rear-biased) they might be a bit slower. Also, the sedan STI features two mufflers (still has four pipes) as opposed to the wagon's one giant muffler (and four pipes). Subaru claims that while this has no bearing on horsepower or torque, it makes the car sound, "Meaner and louder."

We mentioned to Subaru that we dig the new wing, but really think the wheels should be gold like the classic STI/BBS marriage of years past. Even the optional 18 x 8.5-inch BBS wheels are silver. Our Subaru PR pal smiled at us and said, "Glad we gave you something to bitch about." Also, a quick PSA for those of you thinking about buying a new STI and deleting the wing: Subaru highly recommends you also change the trunk springs, because minus the weight of the wing, the trunk will smash in the rear window.

Update: The 2011 STI is also available in Limited trim, meaning leather seats plus a sunroof.

01wrxstiny2010live.jpg

02wrxstiny2010live.jpg

03wrxstiny2010live.jpg

04wrxstiny2010live.jpg

05wrxstiny2010live.jpg

06wrxstiny2010live.jpg

07wrxstiny2010live.jpg

08wrxstiny2010live.jpg

09wrxstiny2010live.jpg

10wrxstiny2010live.jpg

11wrxstiny2010live.jpg

12wrxstiny2010live.jpg

13wrxstiny2010live.jpg

14wrxstiny2010live.jpg

15wrxstiny2010live.jpg

Wheel gap looks bad, otherwise I am not quite sure how I feel about it yet.

I prefer the hatch, probably because I live in hatch-country.
It sort of reminds me of this:
opel-astra-g-sedan-2-2-16v-1.jpg

When you make a sedan out of a hatch it's hard to get it right.

I actually like it more then any other STI, it replaced my love of the 06-07.

I love it. It has the same aggressive stance the current Evo X has, or it does to me anyway (I have bad eyesight). It does need gold wheels.

Looks great! That wing is beautiful.
But the interior looks like crap and everything will stop working after 6 months...

Looks great! That wing is beautiful.
But the interior looks like crap and everything will stop working after 6 months...

having been in a 2009 wrx, the new interior is miles ahead of the older generation and most of the touch points feel nice and solid. theres no rattles and generally speaking its not that bad compared to its class.

Though I would much rather buy the new WRX over this and save a ton of money for similar performance.

The rear is ghastly and 4 exhaust pipes? Are you serious?!?

The colour is awesome. The rest is the usual Subaru box with wings.

I bet it drives, though :D

Hatch is still 100x better than this, with the '06 STI being 100x better than the hatch. WTF are you doing Subaru!?!?

I've grown to really like the 5-door STi. The front of this is great (since its the same as the hatch), the new curvy wing is great, but that rear end.... Really? That looks terrible.

hatch is better.
06-07 is even better.
04-05 is even better than that (05 is the best sti, imo).
really wish we got the 02-03 sti here, that was the best looking impreza
02-03 is the GC8 right? If that is the case I will agree with you. 04-05 is the bug eye if I am not mistaken? If that's the case I shall fight you on the internets cuz you wrong with a capital R :p

Wow, that looks great! Even better then the already sexy 5door version. :cool:

Wow that looks awesome. Good job Subaru.

02-03 is the GC8 right? If that is the case I will agree with you. 04-05 is the bug eye if I am not mistaken? If that's the case I shall fight you on the internets cuz you wrong with a capital R :p

02-03 is the bug-eye. I seriously think that was the best looking impreza, followed closely by the 04-05 ones.

I was in love until I saw the rear half of it. I think I actually prefer the 5-door version (am I really saying this?!). However it took some time for the 5-door to grow on me, perhaps this will grow on me as well (I prefer a wing anyway).

Regardless, fuck I really need to get a license. I'm not kidding when I say I really want to seriously buy one of these (or at least the new WRX).