Land Rover Defender 2015

If I had the money, I probably would. I actually know of about 5 or 6 Defenders running around where I live, all of them are very cool.

Autocar said:
The all-new Land Rover Defender family, due in 2015, could become the marque's biggest-selling model, according to brand boss John Edwards. The firm is targeting the success of the Toyota Hilux, which sold 549,000 units worldwide in 2011.Today?s Defender sold just under 20,000 units. Edwards says Land Rover is being ?encouraged to look at it as a 20-year plan with global potential?.
The new Defender will be developed into a line-up with ?wide appeal and a low cost base?, and Edwards? ambition is ?to become a global maker, not a UK maker selling globally?.
The clear signal that the new model needs both a low cost base and a global manufacturing footprint suggests that the majority of new Defenders will be built outside the UK.
The company also seems serious about making the new model genuinely in the mould of the original. ?We?re talking to sub-Saharan Africa buyers about cost of ownership and ease of maintenance,? Edwards added. ?That it?s functional, durable and affordable are central to our thoughts. The engineers and designers are really getting engaged.?

I'm really happy that this is the direction Land Rover is going with the Defender. The developing world market is paramount if the Defender wants ANY credibility at all.

That's the Blackpool RNLI, they've had Defenders for years and obviously have a reason to choose them over Japanese brands. I seriously doubt that even a Hilux would resist rust more than a well cared for Defender in those conditions.

As the thread has been necro'd, I feel I must recount a conversation between myself and a coastguard volunteer:

Me: So do you still use Land Rovers?
Him: No, we use Warriors now, the Land Rovers rusted too much.

Warriors? As in Mitsu pickups?

It's good to see LR going back to their roots. The Range Rover marque looks to be taking on the luxury end of things.

As the thread has been necro'd, I feel I must recount a conversation between myself and a coastguard volunteer:

Me: So do you still use Land Rovers?
Him: No, we use Warriors now, the Land Rovers rusted too much.

Warriors? As in Mitsu pickups?

Mitsus don't rust, they burst into flames well before that can happen.

Last edited:
That means the rust burns off :p

Where I go on holidays which is on the coast and quite rural, there are three or four Series Land Rovers plus a few Defenders in the small village of maybe 60 permanent residents or so. All of them are still going, haven't been killed by rust and look ruggedly beautiful. These cars are what started my love of Land Rovers as a child. I'm very glad they aim to continue that tradition and aren't going upmarket.

Yep. I think Tata buying JLR was a good thing, they want to sell more vehicles. They won't worry about it "conflicting" with the Exploder (yes Ford thought this).

An unofficial Defender concept has popped up on Pistonheads. Me likey, me likey a lot. The designer, 'Mr Smith', has even nailed the 8 spoke wheels that are so popular with Land Rover owners.

Landie_3.jpg
Landie_1-L.jpg
landie_2-L.jpg
Landie_4-L.jpg
landie_6-L.jpg
Landie_7-L.jpg

Looks a heckuva lot like that Bronco concept from a few years back.

Autocar and Autoblog are saying that the next Defender plans are in jeopardy, at least in DC100 guise.

There seem to be plenty of reports swirling in regards to Land Rover lately. According to Autocar, not only is the British automaker going back to the drawing board for the design of its next-generation Defender, but the outlet is also saying that the Freelander name could be dropped.

While the article doesn't say why, its source indicates that current plans for the next Defender have been scrapped, yet there is a still a replacement in the works. The existing Defender will end production in 2015, but this replacement vehicle will not be ready by then. We imagine that the styling of the replacement won't echo that of the DC100 Concept shown above, and that the news would affect the planned Defender-basedTata SUV as well as the proposed Land Rover factory in India.

If this is the case, it looks like we're going to need to wait a little longer for the next Defender, and we should be expecting something other than what we've seen so far.. I'm happy that the new Defender won't resemble the DC100 concept, but I hope we'll have a new Defender at all.