Paris Considers Ban on Old Motorcycles and Cars

Which generation Golf do you think is more efficient? The one from 1996 or 2012?

So the owners of 1996 Golfs will have to get a new vehicle, such as a Range Rover or a Hummer, which are more efficient?

Owners of a 1996 Golf are likely to replace it with a 2004ish Golf.

It's an exaggerated example of what could happen. Honda CRX's were very fuel efficient, for example. An owner could be forced to trade "up" into a newer Civic or Fit/Jazz which gets worse fuel mileage. They might burn fuel cleaner, but they'll be burning more of it.

Honda CRX's were very fuel efficient, for example. An owner could be forced to trade "up" into a newer Civic or Fit/Jazz which gets worse fuel mileage. They might burn fuel cleaner, but they'll be burning more of it.

True, but they'll be safer. This is not an irrelevant consideration when driving in Paris. I've done it. I know.

True, but they'll be safer. This is not an irrelevant consideration when driving in Paris. I've done it. I know.

The amount of concern I have for the residents of Paris is not great. :p But they seem only interested in improving air quality rather than saving lives. If someone wants to drive an older car, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. Assuming it passes inspection and emissions.

The amount of concern I have for the residents of Paris is not great. :p

Yeah, but the amount of concern I have for me is great. And I know that each of the residents of Paris on the road have the same concern for everyone else as I do. I've done the Arc de Triomphe more than once. Even at three in the morning it's scary as shit. Then again, Parisians also use world-famous national symbols as convenient locations for having sex, so there's balance to be had.

But they seem only interested in improving air quality rather than saving lives. If someone wants to drive an older car, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. Assuming it passes inspection and emissions.

And if they'd gone for the safety hot button instead of the emissions one, I don't think we'd be denigrating them so much (as long as the hot button was counter-balanced by an MoT/TuV-style inspection). If a car can be proven through inspection to be safe and within certain parameters of not polluting too much, yeah, drive it. The only problem with this is that France does have a tendency to verge into the pass-inspection-through-exchange-of-Euros mode, and it's combined with a "peasants protest anything at the drop of a hat" cultural meme (witness this weekend vis-a-vis gay marriage). Sensibility just doesn't seem feasible in France, for some reason.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: yourself

Which generation Golf do you think is more efficient? The one from 1996 or 2012?
The 2012, obviously. But that's beside the point. The issue at hand for this recockulous motion is "pollution." And as for efficiency... if I can afford to pay for the fuel, the government can go fuck itself telling me if my car drinks too much for their liking.

It's Paris. Take the M?tro! The only thing worse than driving in Paris is parking in Paris.

Of course the 16 year newer car will be cleaner. The real question is, which pollutes more, the 1996 or a 1997? According to the proposal, one is fine and the other is unacceptable. You can guess, but the real answer is that it depends on the individual vehicles and how they were maintained.

Of course the 16 year newer car will be cleaner. The real question is, which pollutes more, the 1996 or a 1997? According to the proposal, one is fine and the other is unacceptable. You can guess, but the real answer is that it depends on the individual vehicles and how they were maintained.
Also I suspect a 96 Golf will be less poluting than a 2011 Tahoe

Somebody driving a knackered '96 Golf is probably doing so as they can't afford a newer car anyway, so they'll go out and replace it with a equally as knackered '98 Golf and nothing will be achieved.

Same sort of thing happened with the scrapage scheme, I still see crappy bangers on the road as the people who drive them can't afford new cars, whether or not the price is reduced by 2k. However all the immaculate "one elderly owner from new" cars have vanished as retires traded them in for easier to drive cars.

It will also be sad to know the opportunity to see a DS/2CV parked in it's natural habitat, on a Parisian street, will have gone the way of the Checker cab and the Routemaster bus.

It will also be sad to know the opportunity to see a DS/2CV parked in it's natural habitat, on a Parisian street, will have gone the way of the Checker cab and the Routemaster bus.

The DS I'll give you. That's the one car that I'd most associate with Paris. But the 2CV? Its natural habitat is parked in a field in a small town just outside Nantes on market day, with its owner selling overpriced amusingly-phallic vegetables.

Can't we just simply nuke Paris and be done with it?