X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paris Considers Ban on Old Motorcycles and Cars

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/11/1...cles-and-cars/

bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
    "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Can we ban the French instead?

Comment

Yet another reason why I'm not going back to France anytime soon!

Comment

You want air quality improvement in Paris? Encourage your citizens to actually bathe occasionally, Monsieur le mayor.
        It is impossible to live in peace with fellow beings whom one believes to be damned...one must absolutely either bring them back into the fold or torment them. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

BMW: built by Germans, driven by tossers. - Jeremy Clarkson

The world's biggest dick can be found on a blue whale. And I thought it was on Top Gear. - Sarah Millican

Your comments tonight have been described variously as "rabid", "pig-ignorant", and "stutifyingly ill-informed" - Chris Morris, apparently anticipating Jalopnik

Comment

I say they should ban all new cars and motorcycles from Paris's city center. Any vehicle that's there now can enter/exit freely, but no new ones will be allowed to enter Paris. Within weeks, there will be no more running vehicles in the city center and the pollution will be gone!
          "It's not long enough to use in bed." -rickhamilton620

Comment

Maybe if the mayor could keep his citizens from burning the existing cars he'd find the so-called pollution problem would improve on its own.
            Originally posted by tigger
            The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

Comment

I'm sensing PSA and Renault had some influence in this decision.
              bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
              "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
              "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

I would consider condition of the car over age. Some sort of smog regulation, newer cars that aren't cared for can be worse than older cars that are cared for.
                2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 VR6. Das Auto

Comment

I predict it won't happen.

Comment

As stupid as it is, in the end of the day it is still more benevolent than the system that's already in place in most German cities, at least for cars. Then again, the German system does a better job at pretending that it's about ecology, as it is determined by the emission standards, while this just goes by years.

Comment

As long as they don't ban me on my way to the rest of Europe, I'm fine with whatever.
                      ^My Flickr Page^_______________________________^My Blipfoto 'Photo Every Day' Page^

Comment

Originally posted by argatoga View Post
                        I'm sensing PSA and Renault had some influence in this decision.
                        You may very well have a point there ...

But that said, people actually living inside

beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

Comment

There will be an exemption for taxis. Cause otherwise they'll just go on strike forever.
                          Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
                          (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

It's their loss and I didn't want to go there anyway.

One thought though, what's going to happen to all the used car dealerships there? Admittedly 1997 is a long time ago but no doubt they'll lose a certain amount of custom from people who simply cannot drive to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vette Boss View Post
                              I would consider condition of the car over age. Some sort of smog regulation, newer cars that aren't cared for can be worse than older cars that are cared for.
                              I think the French regulations should be quite similar to ours. Here, cars have to pass emission tests and general condition test every 2 years after they are more than 4 years old. Motorcycles don't have to pass any emission tests at all and only have to pass the general condition test, too see if all lights and indicators are working, etc.

So in this respect, it makes sense to ban old motorcycles, because they never were and never will be subject to emission tests. And the older 2-stroke scooters have a tendency to smoke and smell quite badly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FJvS2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	3427439
                              "I donít really want a Lamborghini Gallardo. But I donít want to live in a world where it doesnít exist." - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Why not go the route many places in Germany have taken with the "Umweltplakette"? Which, you know, is totally popular.

Not that this is a terribly bright idea overall, but I wouldn't mind to see some of the heaps driving around France banned from going into city centers.

Worth it when he shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Grip View Post
                                  There will be an exemption for taxis. Cause otherwise they'll just go on strike forever.
                                  Don't worry, they'll find a reason to go on strike anyway.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	killyourselves.png
Views:	1
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	3427442

Comment

Originally posted by pepitko View Post
                                      And the older 2-stroke scooters have a tendency to smoke and smell quite badly.
                                      So does the average Frenchman.
                                      It is impossible to live in peace with fellow beings whom one believes to be damned...one must absolutely either bring them back into the fold or torment them. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

BMW: built by Germans, driven by tossers. - Jeremy Clarkson

The world's biggest dick can be found on a blue whale. And I thought it was on Top Gear. - Sarah Millican

Your comments tonight have been described variously as "rabid", "pig-ignorant", and "stutifyingly ill-informed" - Chris Morris, apparently anticipating Jalopnik

Comment

Originally posted by Dins View Post
                                        Why not go the route many places in Germany have taken with the "Umweltplakette"? Which, you know, is totally popular.

Not that this is a terribly bright idea overall, but I wouldn't mind to see some of the heaps driving around France banned from going into city centers.
                                        Yeah, those were a totally great idea. You missed two categories though:

Octavia
                                        Fabia
                                        Beetle

Comment

Working...
                                        X