Blue light keeps night drivers alert

Blue light pisses me off, so yeah, I wouldn't fall asleep.

This Blue Light?

sld_bluelight_usnews.jpg

Blue light also screws up your night vision, so it's a tradeoff.

I was about to make the same point. Red lights get used because they are the lowest power and are thus easier on the eyes. Blue lights are the opposite. You could have someone shine lasers into your eyes, I'm sure that would keep you awake, but it won't help your driving.

I have to say, though, that I like dashboards that have blue back lighting or the option to change the color. I also like how certain cars, like newer Fords, have subtle flood lighting throughout the car that can change colors. Might these have similar effect?

How can it be that the "blue light" scene from Rambo III is not on Youtube?!

I like the calm yellow glow cast over the Triumph's instruments. The Yaris digi-dash is crap...

That's not the designed illumination, what you are seeing is the light produced by smoldering Lucas wiring and components. :p

The Anglia has a solitary bulb that lights up the exact middle of the speedometer. Good times if you're doing 30-50. :lol:

tech-dash-ac80.jpg

Taking the instruments out soon, hope to get to the source of the dim lighting. Hoping just an old nicotine stained bulb or something.

Do you really have much of that left when driving at night, though? The headlights of opposing traffic are quite bright. If the source of blue light is intense (as it was for some of the participants in the study), I suppose it'd make things even worse, but perhaps it doesn't need to be a bright blue light? Maybe a lower intensity across the whole dashboard would have a similar effect, while still having a minimal impact on your night vision?

For me, blue light is impossible to see defined at night. I've tried two different blue clock radios (I LOVE blue LEDs) but I sold them both because in the dark, I couldn't read them from more than a couple feet away. Red, however, and even green, are crisp and clear from across the room.

The Anglia has a solitary bulb that lights up the exact middle of the speedometer. Good times if you're doing 30-50. :lol:

tech-dash-ac80.jpg

Taking the instruments out soon, hope to get to the source of the dim lighting. Hoping just an old nicotine stained bulb or something.

If the lights are anything like the ones in my Series then they're working just fine. :p

Do you really have much of that left when driving at night, though? The headlights of opposing traffic are quite bright. If the source of blue light is intense (as it was for some of the participants in the study), I suppose it'd make things even worse, but perhaps it doesn't need to be a bright blue light? Maybe a lower intensity across the whole dashboard would have a similar effect, while still having a minimal impact on your night vision?

Yes, when driving down country lanes I find night vision invaluable, I get quite annoyed when opposing traffic ruins it actually.

Close one eye when crossing traffic.

I get pissed off when people put blue lights in trees as christmas decorations, completely impossible to focus your eyes properly, it's all fuzzy. So no thank you, and there's a reason the premiere adapter of blue backlightning, VW stopped using it long ago, because blue lights suck. Only good on top of emergency vehicles because our eyes are so sensitive to that particular light spectrum.