Unveiled: 2013 Skoda Octavia

Don't know how it is for a bit of faster driving through some B roads.

It's excellent. I just wish my car had the optional paddles.

DSG sounds nice but the idea of expensive fluid changes (compared to a conventional slushbox) puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

Slushbox fluid changes aren't exactly cheap either these days. There probably aren't any new cars left anymore with autoboxes that can use basic Dexron II/III fluids.

The dry-clutch 7 speed DQ200 used with engines with less than 2 liters doesn't even have a service interval. It's just normal transmission fluid like in any manual, I guess. According to the dealer it's sealed for life, but a careful owner will probably change it at some point. I've never bothered servicing the transmission on any manual car, personally.

DQ200 is the one with the issues that are ruining the reputation of all VAG DSG boxes btw. The wet-clutch 6-speed DQ250 in all the 2.0 TDI, TSI and TFSI (all the RS'es, that is) is fine.

Last edited:
DSG sounds nice but the idea of expensive fluid changes (compared to a conventional slushbox) puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

After all of the money you put into the Failturn to keep it running, you have absolutely no right to complain about the cost of any preventive maintenance whatsoever.