Holden VF Commodore

stiggie

pop
Car(s)
Golf GTI
The next Holden Commodore (the VF) has been revealed. It will be sold in the US as the Chevrolet SS.

vf_600-620x414.jpg
vf_600a-600x400.jpg
719632-holden-amp-039-s-new-vf-commodore.jpg
720481-holden-amp-039-s-new-vf-commodore.jpg

Looks good. I wonder how much they are going to change on the Chevy version.

Probably just the badges. That is all they change on the Commodores sold as Chevvies in the Middle-East and Brazil.

But the Chevrolet SS will be a US version of the Commodore SS. The Commodore model revealed today was the Calais V-series. The SS will look a little different, more sporty.

Last edited:
If the decals on the NASCAR version are a proper indication, the chrome strips above the fog lights will just be black plastic, the upper grille won't have the large chrome strip at the top, and the bumper will have a black section in the middle to give the illusion of the lower grille being larger.

That sounds about right. The Calais is a semi-luxury model and always has more chrome than the SS.

The Commodore SS will be revealed on 15th February (Australian time) at the same time as the Chevy SS is revealed in the US.

This is definitely a car that could sell in volumes in America. It's really a shame that NA production isn't an option. I mean this is bland enough, right? The console is certainly plasticky enough.

The two tone leather (also note the armrest) is uncharacteristic for the rest of the design...

One thing I particularly like about it is its reversal of the high-beltline trend. This new Commodore has a usable, bright cabin with sufficient visibility. I'd like to see cars go back in this direction. Form over function has been the norm for too long now (looking at you, other Zeta model Camaro).

One thing I particularly like about it is its reversal of the high-beltline trend. This new Commodore has a usable, bright cabin with sufficient visibility. I'd like to see cars go back in this direction. Form over function has been the norm for too long now (looking at you, other Zeta model Camaro).

I'm not sure it's form over function. A high belt line allows for more side impact protection. They could raise the roof line even more, but that was raise the center of gravity, negatively impact handling, more drag, worse fuel economy, etc. Or so I would think.

Specs haven't been released yet, but some of the things we know are-

-There will be fewer models in the line up than there used to be. The mid-range Berlina will almost certainly be gone and the base-model will be better equipped than before.

-All models will come with auto-park assist.

-Front and rear collision avoidance, lane and blind-spot warnings are available.

-Top of the line models will include a heads-up display.

-Pandora and Stitcher internet music and talk-back services are included.

-An 8 inch touchscreen display is standard on all models.

-The bonnet and boot-lid are aluminium to save weight and the redesigned rear end improves aerodynamics at freeway speeds. In all the VF is expected to me 10% more fuel efficient than the VE.

-The car is slightly longer than the VE, but exactly the same width.

-All models will have an electric handbrake, push-button start, and auto-detection keyless entry.

Some of these things have never been available in an Australian made car before. Including them as standard in the entry-level model is a massive step forward for Holden.

From what I've read, the ute will at least get a restyled nose. Not sure how much else will change. I haven't heard anything about the station wagon yet. The changes to the Caprice will be more subtle. The VF won't go on sale until mid-year and the other models won't be revealed for a few more months.

For a long time now Holden and Ford have gotten away with making ill-equipped cars and offering very little as standard, while relying on Australians' fanatical Holden vs Ford brand-loyalty to get away with it. Holden only started including air-conditioning as standard on entry-level Commodores about five years ago. Before then it was an expensive optional extra. That is ridiculous in a country with a climate like ours. Despite this, in the late 90's, one tenth of all new cars sold in Australia were Commodores. Sales have plummeted in recent years and it looks like Holden have finally got the message. They referred to this new model today as the "no excuses" Commodore. It has to be able to compete on its merits, so they are including a higher level of technology than they have previously.

Last edited:
From what I've read, the ute will at least get a restyled nose. Not sure how much else will change. I haven't heard anything about the station wagon yet. The changes to the Caprice will be more subtle. The VF won't go on sale until mid-year and the other models won't be revealed for a few more months.

For a long time now Holden and Ford have gotten away with making ill-equipped cars and offering very little as standard, while relying on Australians' fanatical Holden vs Ford brand-loyalty to get away with it. Holden only started including air-conditioning as standard on entry-level Commodores about five years ago. Before then it was an expensive optional extra. That is ridiculous in a country with a climate like ours. Despite this, in the late 90's, one tenth of all new cars sold in Australia were Commodores. Sales have plummeted in recent years and it looks like Holden have finally got the message. They referred to this new model today as the "no excuses" Commodore. It has to be able to compete on its merits, so they are including a higher level of technology than they have previously.

Yup, looks like they've finally done what they failed to do with the VE and dragged the brand kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I hope and believe it'll sell well. It's a desirable looking car.

I still feel that for the 2017 model they should take a lead from the 80s and go back to the smaller RWD, 6 cylinder models (doesnt necessarily have to be a 6er, a turbo 4 pot might be ok) like the VK and VL were, and become something of a cut price BMW 3 series.

Last edited:
I still feel that for the 2017 model they should take a lead from the 80s and go back to the smaller RWD, 6 cylinder models (doesnt necessarily have to be a 6er, a turbo 4 pot might be ok) like the VK and VL were, and become something of a cut price BMW 3 series.

Apparently the 2017 model will have to be based on a global GM platform, so they might have no choice but to go mid-sized FWD.

apparently a picture of the sport front end.

JustinThompson_zpseb0fcc0d.jpg

I like the look of that.

The Camaro is a Commodore underneath, so if this Commodore's platform is to be discontinued, I'd have to assume the Camaro may be too.

- - - Updated - - -

More pics-