Alfa Part of Rumored Fiat-Audi Discussions

They had production prototypes ready and was supposed to enter production in 1998-1999 but then VAG came and said Nein, das ist kaput!

Sorry, but even for a mid 90s car that is a mix of boring and ugly. Especially if you look at it from this angle:

Lamborghini_Cal%C3%A0_2.jpg

@Audi: Thats the '95 Italdesign / Lambo Cala Concept. It was intended to be what the Gallardo became. And sorry if it hurts, but the Gallardo is the much better looking car.

Sorry, but even for a mid 90s car that is a mix of boring and ugly. Especially if you look at it from this angle:

Lamborghini_Cal%C3%A0_2.jpg

@Audi: Thats the '95 Italdesign / Lambo Cala Concept. It was intended to be what the Gallardo became. And sorry if it hurts, but the Gallardo is the much better looking car.

Looked quite good for the 90's. Rear, I'm not so sure about, but okay. Gallardo was a 21st century car and a completly different approach.

Well the Cala was intended for like 99, the Gallardo came what, 2003? Also you can see the Gallardo pics up some basic design elements from the Cala, but just looks way better because less curvy roundish mess of nothing, it has actual lines and shapes. A all-curvy lambo kinda does not look right.

Oh and I think looking how damn well the Gallardo sold and still sells, they did it totally right.

Last edited:
Ugly maybe, but boring?

Yes? The looks definitely. Ugly doesn't make it exciting. Its a ugly thing with no actual shape and just some random selection of curves... adding huge airintakes, a humongous spoiler and the crap on the rearwindow does not make it exciting or anything.

Spoilers make everything better :p

Must be just me then...but then again - I am the person who would take a Countach over a Gallardo ;)

Spoilers make everything better :p

Must be just me then...but then again - I am the person who would take a Countach over a Gallardo ;)

I would do that, too. Just for the pedigree. This nineties-thing though...not sure. Looks a little bit like this square Lotus Richard drove in one of the cheapcar challenges. It's pretty for a nineties car, but well, a Dacia Logan would have been a quite good-looking sedan in this time, so....

Well the Cala was intended for like 99, the Gallardo came what, 2003? Also you can see the Gallardo pics up some basic design elements from the Cala, but just looks way better because less curvy roundish mess of nothing, it has actual lines and shapes. A all-curvy lambo kinda does not look right.

Oh and I think looking how damn well the Gallardo sold and still sells, they did it totally right.

I think you are wrong here.

Lamborghini-Miura-SV-RHD-8.jpg

I honestly do not like the direction that VAG has taken Lamborghini. They've made Lamborghini into a success, few can deny that, but I feel something has been lost. It's hard, if not impossible, to put it into objective terms, so it's hard to make an argument for what I'm talking about. Basically, Lamborghini has gone from (not absolute terms here) boutique to corporate, which I think is not a good thing.

Last edited:
A car company needs to make money.

It's more interesting when they're constantly on the ropes. There's a tension there, constantly on the edge of financial ruin, that made Lamborghini as the company itself, so exciting. I don't expect anyone to agree with my irrationality. :)

It's more interesting when they're constantly on the ropes. There's a tension there, constantly on the edge of financial ruin, that made Lamborghini as the company itself, so exciting. I don't expect anyone to agree with my irrationality. :)

No, I completely understand you. In its 15 year production run there were a little over 2,000 Countaches built. That makes it a super rare car! Now you can find Gallardos everywhere (and yet, people don't seem to care about them too much. Especially here in the States people seem to be much more excited by some faux-rare "numbers matching" muscle car with a different rear axle that makes it so much more valuable than other similar muscle cars. But I digress.)

I am 6/6 on faultless 100% reliable VWs. Meanwhile I have had two Mercs that spent extended time at the dealers and one BMW which was sold due to complete electrical failure.

Never owned an Audi, though I hope to soon.