Veyron SS no longer the fastest car in the world

stevanford1

Car(s)
FN Mustang
http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/news/8638740/veyron-stripped-speed-of-title

The Bugatti Veyron Super Sport is no longer officially the fastest car in the world.

The supercar ? which has held the record for the world?s fastest production car since July 2010 - has been stripped of its title by the Guinness World Record team for ?breaching the rules.?

The Guinness team has revealed the Bugatti that was tested, and subsequently set the record at 431km/h, was modified and hence not eligible.

The car in question had its speed restrictor deactivated ? a key difference to the 30 Veyron Super Sports sold to the public.

Road going Super Sports are limited to ?just? 415km/h ? something Bugatti claims is done for ?safety reasons?.

''It has come to the attention of Guinness World Records that there was an oversight in its adjudication of the 'Fastest production car' which was set in 2010 by the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport,'' Jaime Strang, GWR's PR director, told UK paper the Sunday Times.

''As the car's speed limiter was deactivated, this modification was against the official guidelines. Consequently, the vehicle's record set at 431.072 kmh is no longer valid.

"Following this, Guinness World Records is reviewing this category with expert external consultants to ensure our records fairly reflect achievements in this field.''

The issue of Bugatti speed limiting its production cars was raised by top speed rival John Hennessey last week, after his car, the Venom GT, recorded 427.6km/h in Texas ? a feat he is claiming makes the Venom GT the world?s fastest production car.

We?ll have to wait and see if the boffins at Guinness World Records agree.

The car in question had its speed restrictor deactivated[...]

duh-award.jpg

And it takes them 3 years to "discover" a fact that Top Gear "revealed" on location, at the event?

I mean, it?s a legitimate discussion if said "modification" makes the car qualify and I think we?ve discussed this quite a lot in the forum here ... but 3 years, seriously? How about not giving them the "Title" in the first place? It?s quite silly IMO first giving it to them, then making up ones mind quite some time later ...

Last edited:
The issue of Bugatti speed limiting its production cars was raised by top speed rival John Hennessey last week, after his car, the Venom GT, recorded 427.6km/h in Texas ? a feat he is claiming makes the Venom GT the world?s fastest production car.

This is the most important part of the article. The man sure likes to stir up publicity. Also, the record goes to a car, which isn't really a production car. Well done Guinness team.

There is mixed information whether the Hennessey speed run was monitored by Guinness officials. Some sources say it was, others say it wasn't. The press release text does not speak of Guinness officials for approval. So given that Guinness officially strips Bugatti off the title, Hennessey would not get it either.

There is mixed information whether the Hennessey speed run was monitored by Guinness officials. Some sources say it was, others say it wasn't. The press release text does not speak of Guinness officials for approval. So given that Guinness officially strips Bugatti off the title, Hennessey would not get it either.

Correct, the title goes back to the SSC Ultimate Aero.

I would feel so much safer having an accident at 415km/h rather than 431km/h - phew thank you VAG.

VAG "We have a speed limiter and we know how to use it!"

SuperVeyron
This. What the Guiness guys really did is give VW an excuse to come up with yet another overpriced special edition, which only extra "feature" is the lack of a speed limiter.

They will probably take those 3 Carbon Editions they made, paint them orange, call them SuperCarbonEdition and because its 3 its a production car and they're done :p.

I'm ready for the SSC Tuatara. Please happen.

They will probably take those 3 Carbon Editions they made, paint them orange, call them SuperCarbonEdition and because its 3 its a production car and they're done :p.

Don't forget to put a badge and up the price about EUR25,000

No, they'd charge 25k to put the badge on. As in physically glueing it to the car. The cost of buying a vehicle modified in such a manner would then in turn be 250k more.

Just goes to show that the limit on top-speed is tyres and stability, not just power and drag-coefficient.
If VAG and their army of simulations, wind tunnels and engineers say that 415km/h is the fastest safe speed to run a road car at, I don't believe Hennessey or SSC have some magic tech that somehow raises that limit.

More evidence it's a pointless pissing contest, really.

I don't think that 415 km/h is a general limit, it is the safe limit for these tires on this car. On the other hand, I suppose that Hennessey & co. likely wouldn't sacrifice a possible world record for customer safety, so I don't really see them doing a similar thing.

Well I'm going to say that the Guinness people are a bit...thick? Dense? Slow? Retarded?

Took them three years to consider this, and then decided taking off a speed limiter counts as a disqualifying modification. What VAG should actually do is "recall" all the SuperSports and take the limiters off. That way it's a production feature and they get the record back.

OR they can just go faster. I'm ok with another Veyron edition.

... I don't believe Hennessey or SSC have some magic tech that somehow raises that limit..

They have...freedom.

bald_eagle_head_and_american_flag1.jpg

Joking aside, the SS IS and WILL remain the fastest PRODUCTION car in the world in my book. A jumped up Elise made in a warehouse in Texas by a nutjob...ain't really a production car to me.

Hennessey is an ultimate dirtbag. It's not enough that he builds vehicles with suspect build quality, but now he wants to take away a record from another company, too.

I wish people would stop buying Hennessey's vehicles so he'd feel the effect of being dirt.