Automakers back EU-US trade deal that would standardize safety standards

I kinda figured it?s common knowledge that any given european car will have lots of extra bongs and warning stickers fitted if it?s meant to be shipped to the US...

Yeah... like "Pull your fingers away, before you slam the bonnet. It could cause pain, if you don't"... at least that what legend says here ;)

Yeah... like "Pull your fingers away, before you slam the bonnet. It could cause pain, if you don't"... at least that what legend says here ;)

Which legend and where?

P.S.: You know what's really painful? Your ?berabuse of the comma. Don't write in English like if you were writing in German, please :)

My VW has a really loud bong that goes off every 10 minutes when your wiper fluid gets low. It's really annoying.

Your VW has a bong? I know that some VWs have a vase, but I didn't know the glass was so functional.

Is it?

It works with motorbikes, track cars, boats, horses and some people even drag their substitute home with them, a.k.a. as caravans.

For people like me, buying a truck and trailer to haul my 6000lb (fully loaded with food, gas, water, tools, trail-repair parts, etc) K5 Blazer anywhere from 10 to 600+ miles just so I can go offroading for a day is just out of the question. My K5 is a wonderful vehicle to drive on the road, it has excellent manners, and is extremely comfortable, especially for a truck so old with stick axles.

Buying a one ton truck, and a trailer adequate for the weight of the K5 is stupid when the truck will get no better mileage, and be no more comfortable, and be significantly more expensive then the Blazer I already have.

However, my Blazer is severely lacking in protection from livestock and wildlife on the road, the rocks and obstacles it could encounter when offroading, and from the stupid drivers who somehow manage to miss a very large truck on the highway right next to them. (or behind them, or in front of them) Drivers who then attempt to maneuver their little crap-box so that it will occupy the same place in space and time as my truck.
A nice big bumper, front and rear, as well as rocksliders on the sides will help protect my truck from these things, and as such, body protection is very high on my shopping list.

Besides, if I hit a pedestrian with my truck, or really, any similar full-size truck, the pedestrian is screwed anyways. Any incident that they would walk away from with my truck as it is now, stock, is one that would have to happen at such a low speed, that they would walk away even if I had a big steel bumper.
The physics of the situation is just not in favor of the pedestrian who weighs at most 1/15th of my trucks 6000lb weight.
400 lbs (so a very fat american) moving at walking pace is going to loose to a 6000 lbs truck at even 30 mph

Sorry McGuffin and everyone else who wants to outlaw bumpers like Spectre is talking about, but I just don't agree. It's a stupid idea.

Last edited:
It's legal to have them, but is it for brand new cars to be made with them?

I think that is just a style that has played out and with the new idiotic Euro-pedestrian legislation it is one that won't come around again due to no one being able to easily build a low slung nose where popups look best.

Are those lifted bro trucks road-legal in the US ? How do they pass the american equivalent of the MOT or get insured ?

Each state is different. I've lived in Florida, Virginia and Maryland. Florida has no inspection system at all and just about anything is legal. Maryland has a comprehensive vehicle inspection when you either buy a used vehicle or register it in the state for the first time. The Communistwealth however has yearly inspections.