Chevrolet Malibu 2014

They are niche because most Americans forget Mazda sells a midsize sedan.

A product isn't a niche product just because people don't know it exists. Mazdas are still very mainstream cars - normal prices, normal segments, normal engines, normal equipment, normal (yet pretty good these days) styling.

Last edited:
Except that neither Ford nor Hyundai/Kia had that problem when they abandoned V6 powerplants to focus on turbo fours. What do they have that the new Malibu doesn't?

Oh yeah, that's right - attractive styling.

They also have a usable rear seat. The emergency refresh is supposed to alleviate this using a tactic that Ford did with the Contour/Mystique cars: redesigned front seats that provide a bit more knee room. Furthermore, the rear seat back has apparently been redesigned to provide additional room.

In the class where Sonata/Optima, Passat and the Accord are technically full-size sedans according to interior volume, rear seat room is a hot button issue. Personally, I couldn't fit well at all in the rear seat of the 2013 Malibu and I'm 5'8.

Also the Sonata and Optima start at a lower price than the Malibu.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the 2013 styling inside or out...both seem haphazard. The refresh isn't what I expected at all...it's still a bit ugly. I was hoping more 2014 Impala would rub off onto it's front end...guess not.

The weird dash styling isn't improved either sadly.

A product isn't a niche product just because people don't know it exists. Mazdas are still very mainstream cars - normal prices, normal segments, normal engines, normal equipment, normal (yet pretty good these days) styling.

I'd say they're niche because they're jussttt a bit left of center here in the US. Most will gladly pick a Camry over a 6 because its the "safe" choice with a creamy ride and they couldn't give a shit about "road feel" or whatnot.

The seats did change from the Mk1 to Mk2 Mondeo.

Mk1:

Mk 2:
post-438-1252444962.jpg

Well I never! Had completely slipped my mind that. :lol:

Then again, I always sat in the front, not the back due to travel sickness as a child. :p

I may have audibly gasped...the UK/Euro Ford guy of FG not knowing an esoteric fact about the Mondeo? :p

Just saw two 2013 Malibus while out getting groceries today. And had a thought: What if customers hate the look of of the 2014 Malibu so much that they are snapping up all the 2013 models that they can - forcing GM to do another styling change for 2015?

Just saw two 2013 Malibus while out getting groceries today. And had a thought: What if customers hate the look of of the 2014 Malibu so much that they are snapping up all the 2013 models that they can - forcing GM to do another styling change for 2015?

:lol:

I saw a 2013 the other day..it's not bad from the side but the front end looks disjointed...as if its higher than it should be given the side profile. I wonder if that's due to pedestrian safety standards?

I don't think it looks that bad, bland as bread and butter though. And there's something about that grille that doesn't sit right, looks like the car is about to sneeze.

But my biggest problem is with that centre stack on the dashboard. That curved top looks awkward and cheap. And the flip-up stereo seems like a gimmick on a cheap no-name Chinese hi-fi.

I don't think it looks that bad, bland as bread and butter though. And there's something about that grille that doesn't sit right, looks like the car is about to sneeze.

But my biggest problem is with that centre stack on the dashboard. That curved top looks awkward and cheap. And the flip-up stereo seems like a gimmick on a cheap no-name Chinese hi-fi.

That looks better than the current US car which has a bit of a disjointed appearance between front and rear.

The whole dash is a pain point for me. I hate the weird "ribbed" area that the outer dash vents are integrated into and echo your sentaments about the flip up touchscreen. Great Idea, piss-poor implementation that looks cheap due to the latch they chose...it's a "push to the right" latch as opposed to a push button release. As such the release sticks out (literally) of the radio surround and looks tacked on.