News: Ford wins international engine of the year

Paul_The_Aussie

Car(s)
Ford Focus XR5T
Ford has used a butter knife to slay the automotive big guns and score back-to-back engine of the year awards.

The blue oval's diminutive 1.0-litre EcoBoost three-cylinder has beaten the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche and BMW to become only the third powerplant to ever retain the crown.

The annual International Engine of the Year awards are voted on by over 120 of the world's leading motoring journalists and divided into 10 separate categories. But only one is crowned the outright winner.

The 92kW/170Nm EcoBoost three cylinder will arrive in Australia later this year, powering the facelifted Fiesta small car and the high-riding EcoSport baby SUV that shares the same underpinnings.
Advertisement

Although Ford scooped the overall victory, the 1.0-litre EcoBoost was the only engine blue oval engine to make the list of finalists by taking out the smallest capacity segment.

Despite the influx of reports Fairfax Media has received this week from VW customers experiencing reliability issues, the Volkswagen Group 1.4-litre TSI four-cylinder won the 1.0-1.4-litre category.

BMW dominated the next two categories with the 1.6-litre four-cylinder it jointly developed with the Peugeot-Citroen group and its 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder while Audi's 2.5-litre five-cylinder from the TT RS took out the next gong for engines up to 2.5-litres.

From there, the big brands make their make with the Porsche winning the 3.0-litre award for the 2.7-litre flat six fitted to the Boxster/Cayman, McLaren taking out the 4.0-litre category for the 12C's 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 and Ferrari scoring back-to-back over 4.0-litre victories with the 6.3-litre V12 from the F12 berlinetta ousting the 458's 4.5-litre V8.

Fiat's two cylinder compressed natural gas engine won the green engine of the year prize.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/ford-beats-ferrari-in-engine-awards-20130606-2nrtu.html

Good work Ford.

1 liter? Holy crap. :lol: Just one of my cylinders is nearly that size...

1 liter? Holy crap. :lol: Just one of my cylinders is nearly that size...

But you have to admit Ford made a lovely cute little windshield wiper motor, it's like a puppy that thinks it's a pitbull :p

Last edited:
As impressive as Ferrari's 6.3 is, I still feel Ford's supercharged 5.8 is more impressive and mind blowing.

As impressive as Ferrari's 6.3 is, I still feel Ford's supercharged 5.8 is more impressive and mind blowing.

What's impressive about that? It's just a factory tuned 5.8L DOHC V8 with an Eaton strapped to it. It's not even that powerful. It makes 661 HP @ 15 psi, but a ZL1 at 15 psi will make over 730 HP. (Note: Not saying a factory supercharged LSA is impressive either. It isn't.)

If you like V8s, you have to concede the F136FB or M838T should take the top step. I have a special place in my heart for Audi's 4.2L 8500 RPM screamer, the CFSA but I can't pick that one over either of the two exotics.

Last edited:
What's impressive about that? It's just a factory tuned 5.8L DOHC V8 with an Eaton strapped to it. It's not even that powerful. It makes 661 HP @ 15 psi, but a ZL1 at 15 psi will make over 730 HP. (Note: Not saying a factory supercharged LSA is impressive either. It isn't.)

Last I checked a LSA pushing 15 psi is no longer in a stock configuration... Also how is 661 hp not that powerful?

I drove the 125hp version of the Ecoboost in a Focus Estate last fall. It was a bloody impressive little thing. The 3-pot soundtrack is a bit strange at first though. I ended up running head-first into the rev limiter because I gunned it while exiting a roundabout, thinking I was doing ~3000rpm less than I actually was. :lol:

They're still selling the 1.6 4-pot that makes the same peak horsepower, but there's absolutely no reason to buy one. Unless you want the dual-clutch, anyways. AFAIR the ecoboost still only comes with a stick.

Last edited: