German sporstcar manufacturer Wiesmann files for bancruptcy

People loved the MF3 because the way it looked. You saw one, you wanted one. Easy as that.
Saw one when I was bringing back my Viper from Germany. Wanted an MF3 since then. Actually I tried to find one but all the good ones were too expensive.

Well, to cut a long story short, Wiesmann failed, because they made the old mistake many small carmakers make: They make the car THEY wanted to own and assumed that all others actually wanted it, too. They were chasing a dream and hoped others would magically have the same dream and buy their product in masses. Thing is, though, that people didn't.

It's the old story of the dreamer but that story has come to an end again for now.

When you want to make a car that stands out from the masses, you have to accept, that your company will never ever grow to a size, where you can be financially comfortable over a long period of time. You always have to keep the possibility of insolvency in the back of your mind and act accordingly - at least if you wanna remain independent.

Wiesmann in my opinion made the mistake to assume they were a "real" carmaker, while in reality they only served a niche market. The company grew until that niche was saturated. Now that's the case and that was it.

If they want to start over, they've got to come up with something more compatible with the masses. They might as well be bought by BMW or another carmaker, who knows? But then all the Wiesmann fans (who never bought one of their cars) will probably shout "treason" and march with forks and torches towards the Wiesmann headquarters.

Tough world...

Last edited:
Wiesmann - apart from a car what was it that they were selling? You know, like Toyota was selling piece of mind ... What was Wiesmann's thing?

Buy one, and get a piece of ass. Not convincing enough, evidently.

Terrible shame, hope they bounce back. They've got a gecko-shaped building, ffs! That alone has its merits.

Last edited:
This explains a lot. I was supposed to visit Wiesmann HQ for an interview and a few shoots for one of the outlets I work for, during the first week of August, but the last minute they canceled, citing "unexpected internal affairs." As far as I know they will still be around at the Frankfurt Motor Show...

From what I remember they were expensive cars for what they were. Perhaps they would of sold more if they used less expensive LS series motors instead of BMW units?

I'm sad to see Wiesmann go, I've done Internships there in the past and met a lot of interesting people through that company (mainly by going to 0-300-0 events in Papenburg with them). However, There was always going to come a time when the old concept of a pretty body with a good engine wasn't enough to keep customers coming. Making the same car for numerous years and still slapping the same old (some say scooter-worthy) lights on them just isn't my idea of a company that wants to be called exclusive. You can do that, but then you have to look at a different market (think Caterham). I love the looks of the MF5, but then you get inside and you think you're in a Renault Twingo. I hope they can bounce back, they had some interesting concepts that should seen the light of production a long time ago.

From what I remember they were expensive cars for what they were. Perhaps they would of sold more if they used less expensive LS series motors instead of BMW units?

or they weren't expensive enough...

Update! Wiesmann effectively cancelled the bankruptcy officially at the M?nster court. They stated that the reasons why they initially filed for bankruptcy are no longer given, further details were not revealed. That effectively puts Wiesmann back in business! That happened yesterday, shortly before the scheduled creditormeetingm, which now got rescheduled to the 16th of december where more details may or may not emerge.

Do I care where they got the money from or what changed? No! Am I happy they are back/stay around? Yes! :thumbsup::cheers:

Short german news on it: http://www.t-online.de/auto/news/id_66763996/ist-wiesmann-wieder-liquide-.html

Last edited:
Right in the feels.

Being fixated on one product and unable to renew or modernize it, is always a killer...

German TVR

I've never been in love with their quirky styling but I do respect the cars. It's similar to a Viper in many ways.

Shame to see them go under.

Apparently Wiesmann is back on track, now with british investors who apparently already signed contracts for the rights to the brand and names, the production line and other things, now just finishing off the details. Some expect that rumored "low budget" model (~100k EUR) right before they went brankrupt to be the first thing to come under new ownership, and potentially next year already. Wiesmann is being quoted with "They path is now clear for the restart of the production of exclusive and exiting german sportscars Made in Germany".

We shall see what the future will bring. Or if anything.