Is this it? 2015 6th gen Mustang

You know I like you dude, but no.... you're not comparing one of the richest nations in the world (with a democracy that's a damn site better than your own these days) to Zimbabwe. I've been living this nonsense for as long as I can remember, through countless leaders across different political spectrums. JT and his feel good Liberals have zero to do with this. It was the same under Harper and his Conservatives, just as it was with Martin, Trudeau, and Mulroney before them.

All I can say to the above is that you really need to go look at the major drivers of changes in currency exchange rates. Perception of political leadership by currency traders is a *huge* factor. Otherwise prosperous states can have their exchange rates tank based on simple perceptions. Zimbabwe wasn't a prosperous state in the least, but their natural currency devaluation was greatly accelerated on the exchange market by trader perceptions of what Zimbabwe was doing. Zimbabwe was actually sort of stabilizing for a while, but their exchange rates with other currencies continued in freefall despite constructive action by their politicians - such is the power of currency traders, because they simply *perceived* that Zimbabwe's leadership was screwy.

- - - Updated - - -

Something something Soviet Canuckistan...

Well, they did willingly import and buy Ladas in significant numbers. :p

All I can say to the above is that you really need to go look at the major drivers of changes in currency exchange rates. Perception of political leadership by currency traders is a *huge* factor. Otherwise prosperous states can have their exchange rates tank based on simple perceptions. Zimbabwe wasn't a prosperous state in the least, but their natural currency devaluation was greatly accelerated on the exchange market by trader perceptions of what Zimbabwe was doing. Zimbabwe was actually sort of stabilizing for a while, but their exchange rates with other currencies continued in freefall despite constructive action by their politicians - such is the power of currency traders, because they simply *perceived* that Zimbabwe's leadership was screwy.
Not to derail this thread, but let's be clear. You blamed Trudeau specifically. That it's been this way in Canada despite the dollar value and despite who's in charge, for the last 20+ years, refutes your initial assertion. I'm not wading into the rest of your argument because of course political leadership and perception can play some role, but twenty plus years of history in a rich 1st world nation with multiple leaders and the same results would suggest there are other, far more pertinent variables. If you want to know more, start looking up NAFTA, and how it acts as a protectionist racket for Canadian companies, and isn't at all about consumer free trade.

Spectre said:
Well, they did willingly import and buy Ladas in significant numbers. :p
And youse gais bought Yugos :p. What else you got?

Let's get back to the 2018 Mustang, shall we? Awesome car, but it no longer has the budget edge over the Camaro.

Not to derail this thread, but let's be clear. You blamed Trudeau specifically. That it's been this way in Canada despite the dollar value and despite who's in charge, for the last 20+ years, refutes your initial assertion.

No, I blamed the current Canadian leadership. If Harper had still been in power, I would have put up a picture of him. The problem isn't who is physically in the office, it's *all* the Canadian parties. Currency traders (apparently) mostly don't like any of them.

I'm not wading into the rest of your argument because of course political leadership and perception can play some role, but twenty plus years of history in a rich 1st world nation with multiple leaders and the same results would suggest there are other, far more pertinent variables. If you want to know more, start looking up NAFTA, and how it acts as a protectionist racket for Canadian companies, and isn't at all about consumer free trade.

Well aware of it; this is why a lot of people in the US want NAFTA to go away. Which will likely lead to the temporary collapse of Canadian industry and (to go directly back on topic) the even more extensive financial rape of Canadians wanting Mustangs.

And youse gais bought Yugos :p. What else you got?

We bought far less Yugos (despite having more potential buyers) than you guys bought Ladas.

LadaCanada started importing in 1979. The first model was the Lada 2106, with a 1500 cc engine. Later, the Lada Niva, a 1.6L 4x4 Lada, did very well, with over 12,000 sold the first year. In the mid-1990s Lada were selling around 12,000 cars per year in Canada. Lada disappeared from Canada after the 1998 model year...

~12000 per year times 19 years versus the 8 years in the US...

What was that, again? :mrgreen:

Also, Ladas were bought directly from the heart of the Communist Empire, Russia - whereas most Americans at the time may not have known where Yugoslavia was. It may have been Eastern Bloc, but it wasn't the Red homeland. :p

We weren't stupid enough to buy burning, leaky used submarines from the British either. :p

Let's get back to the 2018 Mustang, shall we? Awesome car, but it no longer has the budget edge over the Camaro.

For part of a year - GM's mid cycle refresh of the Camaro for MY2019 has been rumored to be attached to a similar price hike. I suspect any price advantage will be fleeting at best.

Last edited:
Price won't be likely to turn people away from the Mustang. There is quite a bit of brand loyalty in that space.

Price won't be likely to turn people away from the Mustang. There is quite a bit of brand loyalty in that space.

It does for me.

Small? I can't afford it as it stands now.

That's a different ball game. Figure for the most part people don't buy cars straight up they finance. Average loan length these days is what 4 years? That makes the price difference roughly $50/mo assuming that you are putting no money down, no trade in, there are no incentives, etc... Not exactly a deal breaker for most people.

Or put it another way, it's an 8% price increase.

Last edited:
That's a different ball game. Figure for the most part people don't buy cars straight up they finance. Average loan length these days is what 4 years? That makes the price difference roughly $50/mo assuming that you are putting no money down, no trade in, there are no incentives, etc... Not exactly a deal breaker for most people.

Or put it another way, it's an 8% price increase.

4 years? No. Americans are taking out massive 6-8 year loans now. Latest article I can find is from 2015, but then it was 67 months. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/06/01/new-car-loans-term-length/28303991/

Regarding fuel in Canada, I just remembered back to all my business trips, and fueling up. I only ever stuck with one-brand just because it was always the most convenient (closest to hotel, or office, or the freeway during my drive), but they had 94AKI fuel.

q1p1lPol.png

The only time the world was more perfect than in 1987, was in 1986.
Yep.
1986 had some of the best metal albums of all time... Peace Sells... But Who's Buying, Master Of Puppets, Reign In Blood, Somewhere Back In Time, Pleasure To Kill, Orgasmatron, and more...

Regarding fuel in Canada, I just remembered back to all my business trips, and fueling up. I only ever stuck with one-brand just because it was always the most convenient (closest to hotel, or office, or the freeway during my drive), but they had 94AKI fuel.

q1p1lPol.png
To be fair, how often did you stray outside of Oakville or Toronto/metro?

I can attest that in Western Canada, anything above 91 is scarce.