Paris cuts road traffic in half, makes public transport free

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
Communists sidelined half of the cars because the air quality was dangerously low or because of lack of fuel?

So if I am a technician, have to go to places when I get called and I have an odd numbered plate I won't be allowed to enter the city, hence I can't help right away but have to take public transport, transporting a boatload of spare parts? That's brilliant...

Communists sidelined half of the cars because the air quality was dangerously low or because of lack of fuel?
Actually iirc we were and are an oil exporter. And in those days there were few cars so I really have no idea. I'll ask around some more.

So if I am a technician, have to go to places when I get called and I have an odd numbered plate I won't be allowed to enter the city, hence I can't help right away but have to take public transport, transporting a boatload of spare parts? That's brilliant...

You would think they would have thought about that. I hope. Imagine being in an elevator, which then jams. You get connected to the Schindler hotline and get prompt assurance: "Unfortunately 75% of all out cars are odd numbered, the rest are somewhat busy. We'll be there tomorrow. If you get really uncomfortable, just call 112."

Also, what about delivery vehicles? Presumably they would be allowed?

Last edited:
Actually iirc we were and are an oil exporter. And in those days there were few cars so I really have no idea. I'll ask around some more.

Yeah, but almost all the oil extracted went to export and it was quite hard to get fuel locally. Same thing happend with most foods(actually same thing with almost everything we produced in the late 80s).

Last edited:

You would think they would have thought about that. I hope. Imagine being in an elevator, which then jams. You get connected to the Schindler hotline and get prompt assurance: "Unfortunately 75% of all out cars are odd numbered, the rest are somewhat busy. We'll be there tomorrow. If you get really uncomfortable, just call 112."

Also, what about delivery vehicles? Presumably they would be allowed?

1] This only applies to personal vehicles, not business vehicles.

2] It's temporary. They did the exact same thing last year when the weather didn't disperse pollutants too well and had Paris smog-choked. So once this peak of pollution passes, they'll lift the restriction.

It also should be noteworthy that cars with at least 3 people inside are exempt to the rule (yeah, fuck you if you drive a Smart for2 :D) as are hybrids and electric vehicles. And that (for now) this only applies this Saturday and Sunday so it does not affect many commuters. Also what pelicanhazard wrote.

Air Quality is quite bad here at the moment ...

edit/update:
the measure has been extended untill monday evening as pollution does not seem to be dropping as hoped.

Last edited:
It was the same in Yugoslavia becuse of lack of fuel. Or to be more exact, lack of foreign currency to buy it. Nobody wanted yugoslavian dinars becuse of the insane depreciation.