P1 vs 918 vs LaNOPE at Laguna Seca. Finding out which is faster.

Amazing performance from a "standard" 918, a Weissach-package 918 would probably knock off an additional few tenths. Looking at this, and the test in EVO, there might be a reason why McLaren aren't posting their Nordschleife lap time. It also amuses me to think back to all these predictions that said that Porsche were about to make the slowest hybrid hypercar and the 918 would be completely left for dead by the P1 and LaFerrari.

Ferrari makes some truly fantastic cars that amaze car enthusiasts all over the world. They do that regardless of what lap times they achieve, so why are the PR-department so uptight about it? Let's say the 918 turned in a faster lap time around Laguna Seca, then so what? They've sold all the LaFerraris anyways. Ferrari's PR-department needs to collectively take a chill-pill.

Edit: Full write-up here.

Last edited:
The world is a better place for having all of these cars.
As for repeatable lap times, I'm sure the 918's weight would catch up with it. Ultimately, who cares about lap times beyond people who are never going to drive it.
(Id take the 918 simply because roof comes off, it looks prettiest and I think the electric tech is cooler than the other two)

918's AWD is a HUGE advantage on this track because you have to do a lot of acceleration and it put it's power down well while the P1 was fishtailing all the time.

Honestly don't think the Ferrari would have any chance on that track either. The trofeo is much faster tire than the cup 2's.

Last edited:
If given a choice of either of these two, I wouldn't be able to choose, I like them both and to be honest the LaFerrari may be faster but it does nothing for me.
Adding to this I just love how Porsche provide the car for testing and that's it, no engineers, no customising, just the car.

If given a choice of either of these two, I wouldn't be able to choose, I like them both and to be honest the LaFerrari may be faster but it does nothing for me.
Adding to this I just love how Porsche provide the car for testing and that's it, no engineers, no customising, just the car.

wut.

The LaFerrari would be nowhere near as fast, that's why Ferrari won't let anyone test it. If it was faster, if it was even close, Maranello would have sent one down to Top Gear months ago.

I doubt it's within a second of the 918's time.

[...] They do that regardless of what lap times they achieve, so why are the PR-department so uptight about it? Let's say the 918 turned in a faster lap time around Laguna Seca, then so what? They've sold all the LaFerraris anyways. Ferrari's PR-department needs to collectively take a chill-pill.

Ferrari is playing the "class" card. When the peasants are gathered outside demanding something - you don?t give it to them. Not because you couldn't or maybe you?d lose - but because giving into the demand would hurt your brand-image that you build upon the notion that it?s for people who are "better" than the peasants. So while Ferrari is still marketing this -or marketing their whole brand with this, their halo-product, they will not let said peasants have their way with it. And the more they withstand the pressure, the more the brand gains in perceived exclusiveness. That is the real gain here. It?s not about winning or losing. It?s about openly pissing of a lot of people to show their actual customers that they only care about them. Journalists are a part of the problem here also because they don?t handle the situation well. Don?t feed the troll and when Ferrari is waiting for the unwashed masses to be pissed at them to then be able to showcase how "above all this" they are - don?t let them. Don?t let them assume that role. If you are not allowed to compare the car to others and give your readers/viewers a valid opinion - don?t bother to review it in the first place. Otherwise you?re just playing into Ferraris PR-dept hands (and then, to close the loop, write in article complaining about exactly what you enabled to start with).

In a year or two, they will no longer bother with this all and drop said marketing. Then we will get the times.

You know what really "hurts" Ferrari as a brand? Plebs wearing their logos

Last edited:
You know what really "hurts" Ferrari as a brand? Plebs wearing their logos

So all the people who go to football matches that wear their teams' logo are all plebs are they? You must have been living under a rock because Ferrari has a formula 1 team. And just like with any sporting side, they have fans who wear their gear to show their support for the team. If you think they're plebs and are hurting "the brand" then you're a massive tool.

[...] then you're a massive tool.
I?d rather be my kind of tool than the tool who doesn?t realise what the company that he supports really thinks of him and where he stands in the scheme of things while said company is having him pick the shit out it?s metaphorical shoes.

So all the people who go to football matches that wear their teams' logo are all plebs are they?[...]
... these people are paying customers. Ferrari fans (almost all of them) aren?t buying Ferraris cars ... Ferrari does not give a flying shit about them. What do you think they are racing for in F1? For the fans? No, that?s advertising for their actual customers, you know the ones that can cough up the cash for a car or two.

Last edited:
Purchasing clothing and other licensed goods increases overall corporate profitability, which supports the functioning of the business.

If an NFL team sold out the stadium every week, but never sold any merchandise, they wouldn't be considered successful, and wouldn't have as much money to spend on new stadiums, training facilities and high-value players, etc. I can't help but think Ferrari is the same way.

I don't mind buying clothing to support brands I appreciate but will never buy. Knowing my money is going to help support new cool stuff for me to enjoy vicariously, I'm A-OK with that.

Last edited: