Mazda Announces New Sports Coupe, to be Unveiled at Tokyo... (Rotary?)

I still miss the Furai immensely but this is helping. This is helping a lot. I hope there is a GT class version of this beautiful car that I can watch scream up the Mulsanne Straight at full volume on youtube.

:heavybreathing:

That profile.
Interesting headlights too. Retractable covers , like an Alfa Romeo Montreal?
JW-Sherman.jpg

Why not? Its a different segment. Plus then if a customer doesn't like the ND, the salesman can say "why don't you look at this other car in our showroom instead of going to the competitors"
Paying customers see 2 sports cars with only 2 seats. If the price is similar, then that's all the segmentation they'll need. The established Miata would kill the newly developed, costly car before it gets to the showroom.

Friendly wager?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking it has to stay in same bracket as pony cars, being almost as much a GT stang didn't work out so well for the 370z.
But the 350Z sold just fine and it was more expensive than the Mustang GT at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks killer, but those wheels and those lights (to say nothing of the interior) are pure conceptanium. Still, this is promising for the production car.

I'm not saying they would do it, just that its possible. Look at BMW, they segmented the hell out of their product line up and overlapped the prices just to keep the customer in the showroom - top end of 3 sedan overlaps with bottom of 4GC and top end of that overlaps with 5 sedan. All to keep customers from walking out the door. Even the 2010 RX8 started about halfway up the price rangle of 2010 MX5 price. Depending on what market segment Mazda is aiming at, I can see them repeating history and starting this right around $30k. That said, in theory theres nothing stopping them from attempting to go premium/luxury and slap a $45k price tag on this thing either. Assuming the build it at all.

Looks killer, but those wheels and those lights (to say nothing of the interior) are pure conceptanium. Still, this is promising for the production car.

Yeah, but...

Mazda-Takeri_Concept-2011-hd.jpg

2015-mazda-mazda6_100466567_l.jpg

mazda-hazumi-geneva-2014-03.jpg

2016-mazda-2.jpg

mazda-minagi-cx5-concept.jpg

2015-cx-5_2014-laas_eu_exterior_5-e1416456098657.jpg

Mazda has been doing a rather commendable job of turning concept cars into production cars for the past 5 years. I think the reason is that their concept cars (including this RX-Vision) are not too far off of something feasible for production. Unlike the pipe-dream Furai and some other concepts done under Ford's stewardship, Mazda has proven that they really really want to build cars that exist in the real world. I don't think this concept should be treated any differently.

Last edited:
Similar has been said elsewhere in the press. Mazda no longer has the cash to create concept cars for fun simply to get people excited by the brand so anything that appears as a concept since Ford "did one" has been more or less a production reality. I wish more manufacturers worked in this fashion instead of teasing us with cool stuff then churning out bland boxes - the French triumvirate are particularly guilty in this regard.

I hope this gets built and I hope it sells but in a declining market they would have to get it perfect and price it right otherwise it will go the way of the Toybaru and the 370Z which, as we have seen elsewhere, is likely to be replace with a crossover.

Yeah, but...

Mazda-Takeri_Concept-2011-hd.jpg

2015-mazda-mazda6_100466567_l.jpg

mazda-hazumi-geneva-2014-03.jpg

2016-mazda-2.jpg

mazda-minagi-cx5-concept.jpg

2015-cx-5_2014-laas_eu_exterior_5-e1416456098657.jpg

Mazda has been doing a rather commendable job of turning concept cars into production cars for the past 5 years. I think the reason is that their concept cars (including this RX-Vision) are not too far off of something feasible for production. Unlike the pipe-dream Furai and some other concepts done under Ford's stewardship, Mazda has proven that they really really want to build cars that exist in the real world. I don't think this concept should be treated any differently.

The concepts you posted were done over finished production bodies to fuel interest for the new models. See solved panel gaps, trim layout, pillar thickness... The RX-Vision, sadly, seems to be the more concepty kind of concept. It is lovely though, and I'd like to see it in production.

The smart money is that they currently plan to put this into production, but not until 2017 or 2018. I just hope we actually see it outside Japan. If they do the Cosmo thing and only release it locally, that would be too sad.

Even if they only do that you can bet your arse once they get to 6 years old there will be plenty of good used examples available as grey imports in RHD markets.

Aussies, Kiwis and Brits rejoice. The rest of you shouldn't have listened to Napoleon. :tease:

Similar has been said elsewhere in the press. Mazda no longer has the cash to create concept cars for fun simply to get people excited by the brand so anything that appears as a concept since Ford "did one" has been more or less a production reality. I wish more manufacturers worked in this fashion instead of teasing us with cool stuff then churning out bland boxes - the French triumvirate are particularly guilty in this regard.

That is a good point, but I'm still not convinced until it has an MSRP.

The article mentions HCCI....

I really don't understand how a rotary could withstand the 18:1+ compression required for HCCI, but if the mechanical requirements were met, it would cure a *huge* problem for the rotary, and that is fuel ignition and flame front propagation. Some of the race cars have run 3 spark plugs to try and mitigate the problem with marginal success. But DI + compression ignition could, in my mind, produce phenomenal improvements over traditional spark ignition. Add to that the possibility of an electric motor boosting low end torque....I don't want to get too excited, but this could be amazing.

Some credence...

Mazda rotary engine may lose it's spark.

Its gonna be soooo weird seeing the intake/exhaust on the driver side of the engine bay!

With the higher and higher fuel economy requirements, I doubt we'll ever see another rotary production car again.

With the higher and higher fuel economy requirements, I doubt we'll ever see another rotary production car again.

... they said after the RX-7 and RX-8...