News: Mazda has built a hard-top MX-5

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
4mazda_mx-5rf_showmodel_fq_open_white.jpg

3mazda_mx-5rf_showmodel_side_open_white.jpg

11mazda_mx-5rf_showmodel_side_movement_white.jpg

This is Mazda?s idea of a hard-top convertible. Meet the new MX-5 ?Retractable Fastback?, named in honour of its fancy new roof system.

What you get then, is a fourth-generation MX-5 with a sort of 911 Targa-style top: at the push of a button and at speeds of up to 6mph, the rear hatch pops up, and the entire roof folds away automatically into the rear.

If you?re concerned about such things, we?re informed the boot space doesn?t suffer as a result, offering up the same space as the soft-top MX-5. But roof up or roof down, you have to admit, this thing looks rather lovely, no?

It gets the same engine line-up as the soft-top too, a choice between the 129bhp 1.5-litre and 158bhp 2.0-litre petrol engines, matched up to a six-speed manual gearbox or. As an exclusive option for the Fastback, you also get the choice of a six-speed automatic. There?s no word on weight, but we suspect it might have crept up over the standard car?s 1,075kg figure.

SOURCE

:drool:

That is all.

Hoe. Lee. Schitt.

Daddy like.

But would still love to see it as a true coupe.

I hear what you are saying but I think Mazda are doing the right thing. They saw what happened to the Toybaru and figured a pure coupe wouldn't sell the way they would want it to. I reckon this offers the best of both worlds and will likely tempt some Toybaru owners to trade for one of these.

I like this, but I still want to kick that smirk off the front.

Meh, should have made an actual non convertible hard top, all they did is add weight without any real gain.

I hear what you are saying but I think Mazda are doing the right thing. They saw what happened to the Toybaru and figured a pure coupe wouldn't sell the way they would want it to. I reckon this offers the best of both worlds and will likely tempt some Toybaru owners to trade for one of these.

Exactly my thoughts.

This looks EPIC.

I'd personally love to see an MX-5 with carbon fibre T-tops. Yes they'd probably be stolen in minutes but that's not the point!

It looks best from the rear three quarter view. It has flying buttresses.

Reactions: MWF
So what you are saying is that instead of an MX5 coupe that looks like an E-Type we have one that looks like the XJS instead?

Meh, should have made an actual non convertible hard top, all they did is add weight without any real gain.

The real gain is 'the number of customers they will get for having the very latest fad in convertibles.'

Rrrrrrrggggggggggnnnnnnnhhhhhh I've had a crisis.

So what you are saying is that instead of an MX5 coupe that looks like an E-Type we have one that looks like the XJS instead?

You say it like it's a bad thing.

Yes, but unlike the XJS, it'll work fine :)

It has the Mugen S2000 hardtop problem of 'fake' windows. Other than that, I dig it.