Unveiled: The Teslerr Model 3

I'm a little surprised by that, to be honest.

The only reason it surprises you is because the Leaf has been around longer.

I think if we expect a mass EV adoption, we have to make them look like normal cars OR cool. Obviously electric looking cars are going to have same issue as Prius did, most of the early adopters will be people who want everyone to know they are better than you. Most people are boring and right and are OK with that.

Absolutely, good looking cars sell, end of story. If the auto companies (GM, I am looking at you here) would pull their heads out of their asses would realize this too. Hell GM should know from their experience with the EV1. It was no beauty queen to be sure, but it looked decent, and even a bit funky (in a cool way) because of the aero treatments the car got.

Panel Gap time? Panel gap time.

RzRUA94.jpg

B7k4GIz.jpg

Jesus.. ok I don't give much of a damn about panel gaps and found this whole topic a bit silly.. but damn that looks like a car that got into a parking lot hit and run..

Jesus.. ok I don't give much of a damn about panel gaps and found this whole topic a bit silly.. but damn that looks like a car that got into a parking lot hit and run..

Same. That shit is bananas.

The only reason it surprises you is because the Leaf has been around longer.

It's probably confirmation bias, if I see an EV that looks like a petrol car, I assume it is the petrol version. Unless it screams "EV" like the Leaf or Tesla, I just don't assume it to be battery powered. Even the Bolt looks like a generic Yaris competitor, if I didn't know it was an EV I would never assume it was one; even now I probably have seen them and just never noticed that they are different.

On one hand, that is good for the recognition of the Leaf, Tesla and other "I'm and EV!" cars in terms of marketing, but it is bad for those who assume they won't like an EV because those are the only ones they see.

I keep getting the Bolt and the Cruz Hatchback mixed up from the side. From the back or front, it's reasonably easy, but I'm flummoxed by the profile.

It's probably confirmation bias, if I see an EV that looks like a petrol car, I assume it is the petrol version. Unless it screams "EV" like the Leaf or Tesla, I just don't assume it to be battery powered. Even the Bolt looks like a generic Yaris competitor, if I didn't know it was an EV I would never assume it was one; even now I probably have seen them and just never noticed that they are different.

On one hand, that is good for the recognition of the Leaf, Tesla and other "I'm and EV!" cars in terms of marketing, but it is bad for those who assume they won't like an EV because those are the only ones they see.

EVs can look different, they just need to look good

It looks like they will come into contact as the trunk opens.

Surely someone must've thought about that while designing it. Surely...

Something that's gone unmentioned in the laughter over the Model 3's glacial start is the fact that for all of this Tesla racked up the single largest quarterly loss in company history while doing so. Keep in mind that this is the loss that their non-GAAP accounting simply could not hide so I have no doubt the actual loss is considerably larger.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-earnings-q3-2017-11?r=US&IR=T

Tesla on Wednesday reported the largest quarterly loss in its history and said it was cutting production on two of its vehicle models.

Here are the key third-quarter numbers (expectations via Bloomberg):

Adjusted loss per share: -$2.92 (-$2.23 expected).
Revenue: $2.98 billion ($2.39 billion expected).
Free cash flow: -$1.4 billion (-$1.2 billion expected).

The company said it planned to produce "about 10% fewer" units of its Model S and Model X models in the fourth quarter and reallocate resources to the Model 3, its newest. Tesla expects to hit a Model 3 production rate of 5,000 vehicles a week by late in the first quarter of 2018.

"While we continue to make significant progress each week in fixing Model 3 bottlenecks, the nature of manufacturing challenges during a ramp such as this makes it difficult to predict exactly how long it will take for all bottlenecks to be cleared or when new ones will appear," Tesla said in its statement.

Tesla said in October that it produced only 260 vehicles, well below its target of 1,500. CEO Elon Musk said the Model 3 was "deep in production hell."

Tesla's negative free cash flow expanded to -$1.4 billion, more than analysts' forecast of -$1.2 billion.

As noted above, they're actually going to cut some production of existing, hypothetically profitable models in order to try to make more Model 3s... this does not seem to be a recipe for success to me, more like desperation.

I was waiting for my client to arrive at a meeting, while a delivery truck was delivering someone's model 3. Apparently, and I missed the first part so this is just my understanding, but it looks like the delivery truck deliver the Tesla Model 3 facing the wrong way down an impossibly busy one way street.

The man I believe to be the owner was screaming at the driver in what sounded like some sort of romance language, while the driver was angrily yelling back in a language that sounded vaguely Baltic.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stick around as my client had arrived, but I could hear the chirp of a San Francisco police squad car trying to make its way through traffic to pull over.

Curious how they deliver them. When we move hybrids around we need to lift up all four wheels to prevent the electric motor acting like a generator and frying everything...

This was on a 2-story car carrier trailer, pulled behind a ford pickup with a 5th wheel.

D-Fence;n3418085 said:
Curious how they deliver them. When we move hybrids around we need to lift up all four wheels to prevent the electric motor acting like a generator and frying everything...

I've seen a Model S delivered before. They have a trailer that tows it all four wheels off the ground.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...track_midohio/

Looks like the Model 3 has much improved battery and motor cooling compared to the S/X, certainly good enough to run 4 laps of a racetrack (Mid Ohio, 3.86km) without overheating or limiting power (according to driver comment, without the battery fans even kicking in). Stock brake pads appear to be the limiting factor, and stock tires aren't very sporty either. This still makes me quite happy, knowing that it won't just cut off top end power after pushing it for a few minutes. And the performance version that's coming soon now can actually become quite trackable, with more power and possibly better brakes and tires from the factory.

Last edited: