Unveiled: 2017 BMW 5-Series

Can't wait to get the left lane cleared by these in estate form, some sort of black paint scheme and 520d written at the back.

They made the rear look wider, which is a huge improvement in my opinion. looking forward to the wagon.

Elegant, no need to fix what isn't broken.

They look great, inside and out. Thing is, I can't get excited about BMWs anymore, knowing how fragile they are.

I do like:
- the rear end, direct view, nice gentle move towards the 6er/7er
- the interior, but that looks mostly unchanged to begin with, I just liked the old one

I don't like:
- rear 3/4 view, trunk looks too short and the slope down doesn't help either, very much exactly the 4er Grand Coupe problem
- fender vents
- the frontal view, because..
- ...over the fucking top huge frontgrill
- grill / headlight size ratio
- the non-M-front makes it worse..
- fogs or whatever they are look like 10 EUR aftermarket LED stripes

Basically looks like a Facelift. But that front end.. I'd probabaly rather have an F10M front.

General question at all current car makers: What the hell are fake front grilles for? To generate wind noise? :?

Anyway, overdesigned as everything else nowadays, but that's just my pet peeve, so: Decent car. Has my ok.

General question at all current car makers: What the hell are fake front grilles for? To generate wind noise? :?

a: to hide sensors
b: because people are used to seeing them, so they leave them to avoid negative views like make had to the Tesla Model X's face
c: bigger grills hint at a more powerful engine that needs so much more air/cooling...even if it actually doesn't.
d: to break up large flat areas of uninteresting surface

I can report this car looks great and drives great. Much lighter footed than the F10 and really quite sharp handling for a big limousine.
The looks are also an improvement imho, I really like the double lines on the side and the pointy kidneys compared to the 7 Series.

Then again, this car is so good, the 7 series just becomes a status symbol & chauffeur car, you can probably spec a G30 to be as luxurious as a 7 series in the front (!).

And now, we wait for the Touring and M5 (which sounds great, going by prototype cars with quad exhausts in Munich ;)).

BMW is the new Audi

2:10 see how the screen is lagging slightly?

Last edited:
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...icker-than-the-f10-m5-to-100-km-h-112098.html

Slated to roll into showrooms in March 2017, the BMW M550i xDrive boasts a 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8 engine that develops 462 PS (456 horsepower) at 5,500 rpm and 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) of torque available from 1,800 rpm. This variant replaces the F10 5 Series in 550i and 550i xDrive forms, but there?s a catch to this change. That catch, of course, is the rear-biased AWD system, which is standard in the BMW M550i xDrive whether you like it or not.

The upside to all-paw-drive, however, is that the car can carry more speed into the corner and accelerate quicker out of it. Speaking of go-faster credentials, zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) takes 4.0 seconds. Hence, it?s three-tenths quicker than the F10 M5 with the 8-speed auto, despite the fact the full-blooded F10 M5 has almost 100 PS and 30 Nm (22 lb-ft) more oomph.

New M5 will be a brutal rocketship, mark my words.

Thise whole AWD vs. RWD thing can also be observed with the M6 GC vs. the Alpina B6 GC, where the Alpina beats the shit out of the M from a standing start, despite being a lot heavier and having a regular 8-speed instead of a DCT.

Still as dull as the shipping report.

No imagination, no excitement, nothing new to see here.

While there are a bunch of new features, it's still boring. This is just like Starbucks coffee. They have all the best (?) people money can buy but, all they come up with is a vanilla latte.

But like Starbucks, BMW may not be the best but they are consistent.

Consistently awful, in the case of Sbux. BMW makes cars for boring people, M range being the exception.

This is good news for Alfa Romeo.